Gah! GAH! I recently switched to an iPhone 4 from my Bold 9000 and after 2 weeks realized just how bad it was at being an phone/email device, so I happily switched back to Blackberry, LONGING for its "almost perfect" email handling. I went with the 9700 this time.

To my delight, I notice that there is now a Gmail plugin installed which threads my Gmails, exactly what I'd always wanted on the Blackberry. To my absolute horror, the inbox shows only how many emails are in the thread along with the subject line - AND NO SENDER INFORMATION.

Seriously, how many people are sick to death of software designers making such thoughtless, boneheaded design choices? How could they have POSSIBLY thought that the sender name was not essential in a list of threaded conversations? It's not as if it's a physical design issue - there is no reason at all why the name of the sender could not be included with an item count on the same line, even if it means truncating a couple of characters from the end of the sender's name.

Of course, there is no option to change this. They've basically made my Gmail inbox unworkable with threads. I scan my inbox looking for correspondence with a particular person at a glance and now I have no way of finding it unless I remember the subject line, or do a search. Can the mentally deficient ***** who came up with this design feature please step forward so we can fart in his general direction? Dammit I HATE Google sometimes! They do such idiotic, unexplainable things and have no support or correspondence with their users whatsoever. But I'm really surprised at RIM for allowing this. Surely RIM has people who are intelligent enough to know what's required from an email implementation?
    09-08-10 01:53 PM
    Use the gmail app for now

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-10 02:08 PM
    Doesn't the Gmail app drain the battery faster though? I'm not sure emails are pushed to that app in the same way as they're pushed to your normal BB inbox. I would notice serious battery drain when I used the Gmail app on my old Bold 9000.
    09-08-10 02:10 PM
    i personally don't like the threaded email set up..
    i like it in the SMS though.
    09-08-10 02:12 PM
    Doesn't the Gmail app drain the battery faster though? I'm not sure emails are pushed to that app in the same way as they're pushed to your normal BB inbox. I would notice serious battery drain when I used the Gmail app on my old Bold 9000.
    they are not pushed. it will periodically check your mail but the battery drain is minimal. i've never had adverse battery life using it (as opposed to, say, google talk or beejive IM). but my point in suggesting it is that it gives you 100% access to your entire gmail inbox with better search functionality and it gives the sender's name for each message in both box view and thread view. it's essentially what you see in your web gmail inbox.
    09-08-10 04:35 PM
    The threaded emails in gmail drive me crazy. I have to use it for work now that we switched over and it is a serious POS, in my opinion.
    09-08-10 04:38 PM
    I am far from being a sissy when it comes to language and politically correctness, and I usually let my tongue go lose, but was it really necessary what you wrote in your post, the mentally deficient, farting and stuff?!
    09-09-10 12:09 PM
    Nice Monty Python reference sent in our general direction, Sharke
    09-09-10 12:47 PM
    I just love how one person who does not like something thinks the development team "Must Die."

I guess Google should have consulted the OP when developing the plug-in???

As for me, I like it as it is, with the names not showing over the thread and wasting space. But, then again, I'm smart enough to remember who I'm having what conversation with, so the subject is more than enough for me to function.
    09-09-10 12:56 PM
    Did you ever hear about a search function??

Threading does what it is supposed to: group email conversations together to save space.
    09-09-10 02:15 PM
    Once you open the thread you get to see all the senders of each email. I find it quite nice the way it is.
    Last edited by wtmk81; 09-10-10 at 01:30 PM.
    09-09-10 02:32 PM
    I am far from being a sissy when it comes to language and politically correctness, and I usually let my tongue go lose, but was it really necessary what you wrote in your post, the mentally deficient, farting and stuff?!
    Yes. It was really necessary. In fact I'm proud of myself for holding back.
    09-09-10 10:27 PM
    I just love how one person who does not like something thinks the development team "Must Die."

I guess Google should have consulted the OP when developing the plug-in???
    That would not have been necessary. Simple common sense would have sufficed.

As for me, I like it as it is, with the names not showing over the thread and wasting space.
    In what way would the name waste space? They could put it on the same line that shows how many items....you know, like the Gmail in your browser.

But, then again, I'm smart enough to remember who I'm having what conversation with, so the subject is more than enough for me to function.
    Good for you. I'm in awe of your awesome smartness! Come to think of it, there must be a thousand other aspects of basic software design that could be omitted because of your brain's superior capacity. Why bother having contacts, for example? I'm sure you remember all of your friend's cellphone numbers.
    09-09-10 10:35 PM
    Did you ever hear about a search function??

Threading does what it is supposed to: group email conversations together to save space.
    Did you ever read my post? I didn't complain that emails were threaded, I complained that the inbox items were not labeled with the names of the thread participants the way they are in every other implementation of threaded email, for good reason.

I should not have to use a search function in order to identify the participant of an email conversation in an inbox.
    09-09-10 10:37 PM
    Once you open the tread you get to see all the senders of each email. I find it quite nice the way it is.
    I would rather not have to open the thread when I'm skimming a list to find a recent conversation between me and a particular contact. Here's how an threaded inbox item looks now:

(6 items)
    Friday meeting in suite #14G

Here's how it would look if only Gmail had thought to include the participants, like they do in their browser Gmail:

me, Jessica (6)

I don't even have to explain why the second version is better, more convenient, more logical, completely obvious and would only involve one more line of code.
    09-09-10 10:43 PM
    I would rather not have to open the thread when I'm skimming a list to find a recent conversation between me and a particular contact. Here's how an threaded inbox item looks now:

(6 items)

Here's how it would look if only Gmail had thought to include the participants, like they do in their browser Gmail:

me, Jessica (6)

I don't even have to explain why the second version is better, more convenient, more logical, completely obvious and would only involve one more line of code.
    I like the way that second one looks

FYI to all: google didn't develop the gmail plugin, RIM did

Might not be a bad idea to pass this idea along to RIM so they can maybe do something about it

09-09-10 11:05 PM
    I like the way that second one looks

FYI to all: google didn't develop the gmail plugin, RIM did

Might not be a bad idea to pass this idea along to RIM so they can maybe do something about it

Really? I had just presumed that Google did it. Shame on RIM! You would have thought that in developing a Gmail plugin to implement threading, they would have at least taken a 5 second glance at how the threads look in the browser version of Gmail
    09-09-10 11:29 PM
    Glad the gmail mobile site rocks

09-10-10 12:37 AM
    I agree with the OP - this is one of the biggest steps BACKWARDS I have ever seen.

I can't even see who is sending me emails. It's not like every email I have ever gotten has a discrete one-time subject. How is less information - sender's name - better?

This is ridiculous and it makes me want to throw the damn thing out the window.

I get about 2000 emails a day, and only some of them are things I need to open on my phone. I need to know who is sending me email.

And I do not want to run the gmail app.

How do I turn this "3 item" crap off?
    09-30-10 11:44 AM
    threaded gmail - epic fail! Google must die!

dammit i hate google sometimes! They do such idiotic, unexplainable things and have no support or correspondence with their users whatsoever.

fyi to all: Google didn't develop the gmail plugin, rim did

Can we say "EPIC OP FAIL?"

better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    09-30-10 12:50 PM
    The Sender's name is there on emails. Every email I get on my Gmail account has the sender's name there unless it is part of a multi-email conversation thread.

Say, I get 6 individual emails in a row and I see they are from John, James, Mary, Pete, Flo, and Bubba.

I reply to Bubba, he replies to me... His name is missing, but the subject of his email that I replied to is still there.
    You don't have to be a rocket scientist to remember who sent you the email with the subject line "Blonde Jokes from H$LL." And, I think it's not that hard to remember who you took the time to respond to from your BB.

And, God forbid, you have to click ONE place to expand it if you can't remember who you are talking to!

I see where a few people might like it like that, and it's fine. But, honestly, coming on a forum, ranting, saying the developers must DIE, then insulting and belittling everyone that does not agree with you??? How do you ever expect to be respected??
    09-30-10 12:57 PM
    Yes, God forbid I would have to click on one of the 2000 emails I get on a daily basis, many with similar subjects...

I don't want to have to do extra things in order to use my phone.

This is resulting in a significant loss of productivity for me.

I never said anyone must die, and the OP was joking. Don't make that out to be something it is not.

This new functionality is total garbage and must be changed.
    10-04-10 09:22 AM
    The Sender's name is there on emails.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to remember who sent you the email with the subject line "Blonde Jokes from H$LL."
    That is an extreme subject line.

However, I receive many emails every day from discrete senders with a subject similar to "Daily Update"

If I respond to 3 of the 15 people who send me these emails, it gets garbled.

That is unproductive, and reeks of developers who need to better respond to the needs of the customer
    10-04-10 09:27 AM
    That is an extreme subject line.

However, I receive many emails every day from discrete senders with a subject similar to "Daily Update"

If I respond to 3 of the 15 people who send me these emails, it gets garbled.

That is unproductive, and reeks of developers who need to better respond to the needs of the customer
    Simple, 2 second fix... Change the subject line when you reply. If anyone asks, simply tell them... "I get dozens of emails with the same, generic subject line and I change them to be unique to make it easier for me to quickly respond to each person."

That's what I do to our help desk emails that I manage in OUTLOOK 2007 where I have the full user info on every sender. I get 4 or 5 "Printer problem" emails in a day, and I change the subject when I reply to "Printer Problem - Accounting" or what ever department.

I take it upon myself to make things work better, not complain that the world does not change to meet my needs.
    10-04-10 11:23 AM
    I am not going to be able to change the behavior of 15-20 business associates outside of my firm.

What you are doing is asking me to change behavior of other people, which is what the developers are asking of me with this anti-functionality.

This feature is counterproductive when new features should enhance productivity instead.
    10-04-10 12:56 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD