I have had beyond awful luck with RIM's products: Since August 2009 I have gone through 7 Tours, which all had manufacturing defects (2 bad trackballs, 2 "return to sender error" messages with the first update of os 5 on Verizon, bluetooth not connecting, "fishbowl" speaker syndrome, earphone jack only sending sound to one earphone, etc). Fortunately, after the latest tour failed, Verizon sent me a Bold 9650.

I have been in love with this phone, and have tried to keep it as stock as possible to avoid any malfunctions, only installing a couple of apps. It has been totally reliable for the past two months (new record for me not needing it to be replaced under warranty)... or so I thought

It seems that not all my calls and texts are making it through to the intended recipient. For example, after missing a call from her earlier, I called my mom 3 times the other day, each call being about an hour apart. My phone rang and went to her voicemail all three times (I did not leave a message), yet she did not have a single missed call on her phone. The same thing happened when I tried to call my brother's phone yesterday, and my friend's phone last week. My family is on Verizon and my friend is on AT&T. This isn't just limited to phone calls though; apparently only some of my texts have been making it through to my friends regardless of what network they are on and what phone they are using. For example, my friend texted me today to confirm plans, and I replied that all was good to go. The little "D" for delivered above the text message even showed up to say that the text had been received by my friend's phone. A few hours later, after thinking he had blown me off, I texted him again and he replied that he had never received my first text. This is not isolated to just him.

However, these problems only happen some of the time. Probably 85-90% of my calls and texts do go through to the recipient. I have had missed calls and dropped texts happen occasionally in the past, but it is definitely happening more and more in the past two weeks, and it explains a lot of the miscommunication between my peers and me.

When I took the phone into the Verizon store today and asked them about it, they said it was a software problem, and offered me a replacement Bold (blackberry lucky number 9). Problem is, I have tried reloading the OS and done quite a few battery pulls and the problem is still happening.

As a side note, BBM seems to be unaffected.

What do you guys think? is it the phone, or is Verizon just covering up a glitch in their service?
    09-07-10 08:52 PM
    The call to voicemail sounds like a service issue...

If it was a phone issue you would not get through to anything. The fact that you are ringing and reaching their voicemail means the call is not outright failing.
    09-07-10 08:57 PM
    The call to voicemail sounds like a service issue...

If it was a phone issue you would not get through to anything. The fact that you are ringing and reaching their voicemail means the call is not outright failing.
    That's what I kind of figured. If a new blackberry fixes the issue I'm going to be very pissed with RIM. 9 "top model" phones in under a year is inexcusable.
    09-07-10 10:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD