I am traveling in Italy and have the global service activated. The phone is unlocked and I am using a local Sim card. The phone function works properly, but the email, browser, and BBM functions are not available. When trying to use the browser, it gives me a message saying that "it is a wifi option" and that I should check to see if there is wifi. Here, there is none.

With the local Sim card, the mobile network option is set to Prime, which apparently is specific to Italy. Since I thought that might be the problem, I removed the Sim card and set the mobile network option to Global. After doing that, the signal strength indicator says SOS only (emergency).

At this point, I am wondering if the phone needs the original Sim card to activate all functions or if there is some setting that needs to be changed. We have a second Blackberry here so I can swap in the Verizon/Vodafone card to see if that works.

I contacted Verizon to be sure everything is properly activated at their end and they assured me that it is.

All suggestions greatly appreciated a.s.a.p. since we will be here for only a few more days.

Thanks.
    09-07-10 03:51 AM
    You have a data plan with that local SIM? If not, all you'll get is phone service. Put the Verizon SIM back in and you should be fine on Global.

The Verizon global plan only works with their SIM. By installing a Local SIM, you change your phone to only support from that local carrier and if they don't provide Data with the SIM you got from them, you don't get data. You won't get data from Verizon with a Local SIM, even thought you have their Global Plan. You may wish to switch back and forth with the Local and Verizon SIM as your phone calls will be expensive with the Verizon SIM. Local SIM for Phone, Verizon SIM for Data.
    09-07-10 06:13 AM
    My brother just got back from Italy and he used his S2 the whole time. Verizon global plan is too expensive. He has an unlocked phone and used TIM sim card. He paid extra for the data plan but it was only 2 euro per week or something like that. He was able to call, text, BBM and browse. he even has tether so he could use his laptop while visiting relatives with no internet access. Check with the local sim card company and ask what the data plan costs and add it.
    09-08-10 08:19 AM
    You are not going to get VZW data with another SIM, so you would need it with the other carrier.
    09-08-10 11:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD