**Update at bottom of this post**

Just had to get this off my chest.. Some may agree, while others may not..

Anyways, I've noticed a trend lately (It may have been going on for awhile now) that with the release of many premium themes, the same clique of developers/friends/etc go into the threads to do nothing more than hype up the product to try and increase sales. I do not see anything wrong with people trying to advertise their theme to try and make a buck, however the methods being used seem a little deceptive to me. Do not advertise themes as being "lag free" when they are not. There is no real way for a user to find out until they purchase the theme and realize it's not all it's cracked up to be. for the most part, the to the purchaser, they just spent a couple bucks, so they won't gripe too much.. However, I'm sure the developer is counting on that and hopeing to sell as much as they can for a couple bucks..

Take for example the recent trend of OS6 themes floating around. There is no way an OS6 theme that is faithful to the real thing going to be anything but a slow mess on a Storm. As soon as you create a theme with more than 12 customizeable icons, scrolling docks, app names under the icons, etc, the Storm will slow down.. this is a fact, there is no way around this. So when people make these themes and start advertising that they are lag free, and have their clique come along and hype the same thing in heir threads, this is just deceptive in order to try and get people to part with their money.

The culture around here is to also not criticize a theme developer.. even if their theme is awful. After all, they spent many hours making the theme.. I don't belive this proper... Developers should be able to take both the good and bad reviews.. not have their group attack someone who has a criticisim..

Anyways, I just needed to rant a bit.. let me know if I'm completely off base..

Also, I whipped up a new theme this afternoon..not going to hype it up too much, take a look at the screenshots and give it a go if you would like..

15 icon customizable sliding dock (touch bottom of the screen in the middle to show the hidden dock, touch arrows to slide the dock let and right)

Touch noticification area to show hidden calendar/messages screen, touch notification area again to hide

Touch "gear" symbol in notification area to show the "options" screen, touch again to hide the screen

Clicking on the battery icon launches Meterberry if you have it installed

Clicking in the middle of the screen below the notification area will launch Berryweather if you have it installed

Clicking on the time take syou to the clock screen.

As always, Comments, suggestions, etc are all welcome..

**Update**
    Theme has been updated with your suggestions. The Focus Icon's have been changed to blue, I have made changes to the today screen font and spacing, the Battery meter hotspot is now customizable.. Place your app in slot #16 and it can be launched via the battery meter icon on the home screen. You should also notice a significant increase in the speed of the overall theme with dock animations etc.

I also want to thank everyone's input on my previous rant. it has definitely brought some food for thought..

new OTA link is :MyBBOTA.com Download - oschris
    Last edited by chrisyng; 09-08-10 at 10:30 PM.
    09-06-10 10:49 PM
    This is a really cool theme. Great job. I like the 4 icons better on the app screen but still very nice. Would be nice also with a blue focus or nothing. The date is cut off also. Very nice free theme, Very unique. Thanks!

As soon as you create a theme with more than 12 customizeable icons, scrolling docks, app names under the icons, etc, the Storm will slow down.. this is a fact, there is no way around this. So when people make these themes and start advertising that they are lag free, and have their clique come along and hype the same thing in heir threads, this is just deceptive in order to try and get people to part with their money.
    I have to disagree with you on this. "Pad" and "DC" have some of the fastest docks with zero lag I have ever seen especially with the db6 series(which was completely free and had more hype than any other theme i have seen) Money was not a issue there. I don't think that it has anything to do with cliques. People just know certain developers work and know it will be hot when released. That is where the hype comes from, its not to gain another dollar. People are genuinely excited to see these themes and cant wait for them to be released. Nuff said!
    Last edited by hydroz_23; 09-06-10 at 11:15 PM.
    09-06-10 11:07 PM
    I have to disagree with you on this. "Pad" and "DC" have some of the fastest docks with zero lag I have ever seen especially with the db6 series(which was completely free and had more hype than any other theme i have seen) Money was not a issue there. I don't think that it has anything to do with cliques. People just know certain developers work and know it will be hot when released. That is where the hype comes from, its not to gain another dollar. People are genuinely excited to see these themes and cant wait for them to be released. Nuff said!
    I have to agree with you on that....

Theme developers are coming up with new animations and ideas all the time and i think they want to show them off. I know i do when i find something new that nobody has seen

Also being a theme developer for premium themes customer support is my #1 issue. If someone complains that the theme lags etc... i will immediately give a refund. People run different OS and themes defiantly run different on each OS. Developers test there themes to the full extent. But themes seem to run different on each and every storm out there or device at that.

That is just my 2 cents on all developers not just me...

BTW good looking theme
    Last edited by tdmsna523; 09-07-10 at 02:33 AM.
    09-06-10 11:29 PM
    Nice theme thanks
    09-06-10 11:33 PM
    I for one am always open to criticism and suggestions from my customers, WHEN and IF there is an actual issue.
    The "clique" as you called it is a group of testers that have run the theme to ensure when we say "zero lag" that we have a large and diverse enough test group for it to mean just that.
    While there is no way we can account for ALL users experiences, because as we all know, no two storms act the same. Be it with applications, themes or even Operating Systems.
    And spending most of my BB life as consumer I understand the disappointment that buying a new theme only to find out that it's not all that it's cracked up to be.
    And now, as a developer, I understand that every issue is a big one. And the end user experience may not be what everyone is looking for, that's what customization is for. Most devs offer customization of purchased themes when asked to do so.

Good lookin theme by the way.
    09-06-10 11:33 PM
    great theme...any chance for a Quicklaunch shortcut...maybe in place of Berryweather? thank you
    Last edited by mystro2b; 09-07-10 at 02:04 PM.
    09-07-10 01:25 PM
    >>> THANKS FOR THE FREE THEME <<<
    This is strange... maybe someone has an answer?
    I normally use OS6 theme... I love this theme btw and was all happy with it.
    Then I discovered when I have my earphone jack plugged in and place or receive a call I don't get the "Headset" option so that the call comes thru my speakers. Anyone else? As soon as I switched back to "OS6" theme it works normal again... is this a THEME feature possibly???
    09-07-10 03:58 PM
    hey if ya cant beat them join em I say
    09-07-10 05:15 PM
    This is a really cool theme. Great job. I like the 4 icons better on the app screen but still very nice. Would be nice also with a blue focus or nothing. The date is cut off also. Very nice free theme, Very unique. Thanks!

If I'm the Pad you were referring to (and I hope I am), I appreciate the kind words. Unlike many other theme developers around here, I don't have the same core group of testers testing my themes and then hyping them up. I usually give away a few freebies, but I don't think it's fair to have the same people getting all the premium themes for free. Just doesn't seem right to me.

With that said, I've been developing themes for quite some time now. Many of my earlier themes had lag, so whenever someone complained, I would either issue a refund or give them one of my newer themes for free. Because I don't use the same testers for my themes, I have to rely on good customer support and ... Quality themes...and my sales still aren't great. So yeah, I agree that having the same group of testers hyping every new premium theme is unfair and creates many lower quality themes, but that's just the way of the world...and it seems to work here too. Regardless, I'm gonna keep doing what I do, that is, trying to be diverse in my testers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-10 08:15 AM
    Thanks for all the constructive comments about my rant guys.. It has given me alot of food for thought..

I've also updated the theme (new link in the 1st post) taking into concideration the suggestions you have offered..
    09-08-10 11:27 PM
    If I'm the Pad you were referring to (and I hope I am), I appreciate the kind words. Unlike many other theme developers around here, I don't have the same core group of testers testing my themes and then hyping them up. I usually give away a few freebies, but I don't think it's fair to have the same people getting all the premium themes for free. Just doesn't seem right to me.

With that said, I've been developing themes for quite some time now. Many of my earlier themes had lag, so whenever someone complained, I would either issue a refund or give them one of my newer themes for free. Because I don't use the same testers for my themes, I have to rely on good customer support and ... Quality themes...and my sales still aren't great. So yeah, I agree that having the same group of testers hyping every new premium theme is unfair and creates many lower quality themes, but that's just the way of the world...and it seems to work here too. Regardless, I'm gonna keep doing what I do, that is, trying to be diverse in my testers.

Of course you are! Keep up the good themes!
    09-08-10 11:44 PM
    Thanks for sharing this great theme... Like it

09-17-10 11:42 AM
    Could you please share the wallpaper? Would like to use it with berryweather...

Thanks.

09-17-10 11:44 AM
    >>>>>>>WHOA<<<<<< EVERYONE READING THIS... download and run this theme.
    The speed and sleekness of this them is one by which ALL OTHER THEME BUILDERS should measure theirs by BEFORE posting to sell their junk. Sorry I just cannot believe some of these "Theme experts" put their BAG o' LAG out here and peddal it "FOR SALE". Nice work Chris... You are a Talent! Can't wait to see what's next.
    09-17-10 12:35 PM
    >>>>>>>WHOA<<<<<< EVERYONE READING THIS... download and run this theme.
    The speed and sleekness of this them is one by which ALL OTHER THEME BUILDERS should measure theirs by BEFORE posting to sell their junk. Sorry I just cannot believe some of these "Theme experts" put their BAG o' LAG out here and peddal it "FOR SALE". Nice work Chris... You are a Talent! Can't wait to see what's next.
    Bag o' Lag
    That's funny right there....

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    09-17-10 01:33 PM
    like the theme alot any way for a non weather version?
    09-17-10 04:34 PM
    Thanks to everyone for their kind words..

I've attached the wallpaper used in the screen shots as per request

As for a non weather edition, If you do not have berryweather loaded on your device, the hotspot for it will not launch anything. Did you have anything else in mind you would like to see in it's place?
    09-17-10 05:03 PM
    me personally i would use like visual voice mail and the battery looking more like os6
    09-17-10 07:00 PM
    Thanks for the free theme, nice work.
    09-21-10 11:55 AM
    Love Chrisnyg's themes!
    09-25-10 10:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD