So I am up way earlier than normal, 4am, and am playing around with my BOLD 9700. I go to Mobile Speed test and run a test of 100KB, it was 869Kbps. Not bad, but I wanted better so I went outside, clear skies, and ran a 2MB test. The results are in my signature, 17,467Kbps!!! I duplicated this several times. I know T-Mobile was supposed to strengthen their 3G coverage but WOW!?!?! Is this normal?

Some facts about the test conditions
    1.NO Wi-Fi! I turned wifi off and duplicated results. Pulled my battery (once), then made sure wifi was off, and duplicated results AGAIN!

2. I live in Goodyear, AZ (suburb of Phoenix, 15 miles west) considered the outskirts.. LOL!

3. I ran my test between 3:45 a.m. and 4:30 a.m. 9/6/2010. I know the network wasn't busy, but WOW!???

Please help me make sense of this. If this is what I expect from T-Mobile then I want to sign a 10 year contract right now!! But seriously, try to duplicate this or at least chime in with your results.

*I do not work for T-Mobile or 'mobilespeedtest.com"*
    09-06-10 07:10 AM
    I wouldn't trust that site. Speed tests on phones are usually wrong. To get something accurate, tether your phone via Desktop Manager and then run a speed test on your computer. It usually comes up to around 2.5-3 MB/s which is a lot more accurate.
    09-06-10 08:56 AM
    Gonna do that with my wifes Toshiba netbook in a couple hours. I'll keep you posted.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-10 09:07 AM
    +1 on Karma's reply. I think you merely measured the pipe between Mobile Speed Test server and RIM's BIS server. I get really wacked-out speed results using web sites. The only reliable way to test bandwidth on your BB is with an app that you download. My favorite is xtreme labs speed test. It consistently reports 4-6Mbps over my home Wi-Fi which is a 21Mbps cable internet pipe.
    09-06-10 04:56 PM
    My favorite is xtreme labs speed test
    If it worked, I have this same link saved in a memo pad and I tried to load it when I first read this and you can't get it now.

I was gonna recommend it to him till I realized they killed the download.

I uninstalled it a while back, I guess I shouldn't have.
    09-06-10 05:52 PM
    Yeah, that's unfortunate. I was going to use it but the page doesn't exist anymore. Is there a mirror link possibly?

09-07-10 04:12 AM
    +1 on Karma's reply. I think you merely measured the pipe between Mobile Speed Test server and RIM's BIS server. I get really wacked-out speed results using web sites. The only reliable way to test bandwidth on your BB is with an app that you download. My favorite is xtreme labs speed test. It consistently reports 4-6Mbps over my home Wi-Fi which is a 21Mbps cable internet pipe.
    highly inaccurate application

As stated the only way to really get a feel for the speeds of the phone is tether and go to a place like Speak easy's Speed Tester or SpeedTest.net.

Here is just ran a speed test from mobilespeedtest.com

and i ran one using Android's SpeedTest.net application

and here is a tether speed test

Just proof positive that mobilespeedtest.com doesn't mean much.

Last edited by mjneid; 09-07-10 at 09:40 AM.
    09-07-10 09:26 AM
    Sorry of I hijack the thread a bit, but what speed should be a good average on TMOs 3G network? We are beginning to get it in Puerto Rico, and the most I have achieved on my 9700 is near 1Mbps. The speeds you guys/gals are achieving seem to be awesome!
    09-14-10 09:02 PM
    Sorry of I hijack the thread a bit, but what speed should be a good average on TMOs 3G network? We are beginning to get it in Puerto Rico, and the most I have achieved on my 9700 is near 1Mbps. The speeds you guys/gals are achieving seem to be awesome!
    That's about what you get when they first deploy it, then it will slowly get faster. T-Mobile would rather have 10 people be able to pull 1Mbps than 1 user get 3-4Mbps, and then the rest not get but ~300kbps since the one person is hogging the T1's
    09-15-10 12:06 AM
    Blackberry's are capped to 3.6Mbps download speeds, they will not get above that. They are not programed to transfer that much data that quickly.

Android and Windows Mobile are currently capped at 7.2Mbps download speeds. That is why i am able to get the higher speeds....

right around 1Mbps - 1.2Mbps would be typical for first few months of Blackberry usage.
    09-15-10 09:44 AM
    Thanks for the info!!! The speed cap is regardless of BlackBerry model?

09-15-10 05:46 PM
    Thanks for the info!!! The speed cap is regardless of BlackBerry model?

well..i cannot speak for CDMA variants, but yea all GSM versions are capped to 3.6Mbps.
    09-16-10 08:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD