I seem to have an issue with the touchscreen on my Torch. It's *ALMOST* as annoying as my wife's iphone4 dropping calls all the time.

Basically every time I make or receive a call I end up muting the person, putting them on speaker, or both. The only way it doesn't do this is if I use a bt headset (which I can't stand as I hardly drive at all) or hold the phone away from my head.

Anyone else have this issue? Anyway to solve it other than using a bt headset 100% of the time?
    09-05-10 10:19 PM
    I know what you mean. For some reason that's been happening to me a lot lately. I didn't do it nearly as much in the beginning when I first got it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-10 10:24 PM
    There is a proximity sensor (right next to the LED) that shold turn the screen off when something is put in front of it on a call. If it isn't working, try a battery pull. If it still isn't working, you can try reloading the OS. If it still isn't working, its a hardware failure.

09-05-10 10:29 PM
    Do you have one of those privacy screen protectors installed? Remove it and the issue will stop. Buy a new one and use a hole punch to notch the proximity sensor. When the new one is installed you will not have the issue.

09-05-10 10:47 PM
    my bet is with the privacy screen.. or a thick antiglare screen protector that you have placed on your screen.. it screws up the proximity sensor..
    try removing it and you won't have this problem
    09-05-10 10:50 PM
    Caused me to finally return my Torch and go back to the 9700 because it put my son on hold and called my boss! Unacceptable. I had no screen protector. I think certain people just hold the phone in a way that the proximity sensor doesn't work the way it should or something. I tend to hold my phone slightly away from my head while I talk on it and I think that just really wasn't ever going to activate the proximity sensor.

09-06-10 09:19 PM
    ...I tend to hold my phone slightly away from my head while I talk on it...
    I'm not trying to be a smart@ss, I'm honestly confused; if you're holding the handset away from your face while you talk, how are you pressing buttons? Most people are saying they are pressing the buttons with their face, but if it's away from your face...?

I agree with the above comments (for most users with this issue), place a test call (to a phone you know won't pick up, or answer for a few seconds) and look just to the right of the LED light and you will see a flashing red light. Just as someone else explained here, it works just like the toilet sensors on most public toilets these days. If it senses your face there, it shuts off the screen. If you have a screen protector there, it may interfere with the sensor, unless you notch a hole in the plastic.
    09-06-10 09:28 PM
    Yes yes. I reported the ones we sell for this very reason. For God sake if you notch it make sure it is off the phone first.

09-06-10 09:50 PM
    Proximity sensor went on my Iphone. Had a local reputable guy fix it for 40 bucks because it was out og warranty. Your phone is in warranty, if the battery pull doesn't solve it, bring it back for a replacement
    09-06-10 10:19 PM
    I've had this same issue...

Last night, I purchased PatternLock from App World. It's only $3.00 and is the fullest application with the most customizability of any application for any purpose that I've ever seen. I can't believe it's only $3.00. Among it's other locking advantages, it will freeze your screen after a pre-determined amount of time while in the Phone application, unlike most of those other applications out there. If you try locking your phone with the Lock button while you're in the Phone application, the native locking mechanism doesn't activate..which is why these apps were created in the first place. This solves the problem! Another nice thing about it is that you can use the Native lock button to activate the lock instead of having to assign it to the one and only convenience button on the Torch! Oh yeah, one more kewl feature...you can set it up to not activate the locking application while you're within a certain range of a certain spot..for example, if you're at home, there's not much point of having the phone locked while it's idle...I guess it uses GPS...it definitely does sense your location. But while you're out and about, keep it secure automatically! I'd definitely check this out if you're trying to get the screen to lock while you're on the phone.
    09-07-10 11:32 AM
    I know you returned the phone I think but why would you hol the phne away from your face and blame the phone for the issue. It is human error. If the you out the phone to your heafbthe way 99% of the rest of the does than it would not happen. No matter what kind of phone you use this will happen. I think the best thing for you to do is grab two cans and tie a string to them. This way the person on the other end with never her muted again.

09-07-10 03:58 PM
    I do have a privacy screen installed and there's no notch next to the LED. I'll cut that portion out this afternoon and see how it goes. I know I've done at least 2 battery pulls and re-loaded the OS and neither of those have solved it.

Thanks for the tips....at least I'm not the only one with that issue
    09-08-10 11:46 AM
    I keep the phone away from my face and the proximity sensor does its job. Just imagine all the skin oils and debris on the touchscreen.
    09-08-10 12:01 PM
    I keep the phone away from my face and the proximity sensor does its job. Just imagine all the skin oils and debris on the touchscreen.
    Which is why there's a cleaning cloth included in the box
    09-08-10 12:15 PM
    Or u can just lock the screen. I know ur index is right there. LOL I wouldn't trade the torch at all.

09-08-10 12:46 PM
    You can't lock the phone during a phone call, natively, on the Torch.
    09-08-10 01:24 PM
    Notching the privacy screen fixed it. Works awesome now. Thanks!
    09-10-10 12:20 PM
    Good to hear the privacy screen worked...you can also use berryslider...it actually locks ur phone for you while u are on it...someone mentioned you cannot lock the phone while using it they are correct but this app will lock using its own slider software...worth a try for others if they are still experiencing the issue.
    09-10-10 01:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD