Hi All,
    I have a Bold 9650 and my girlfriend has the Tour. We started trying to use BBM instead of SMS as 6.0 is coming soon and we have seen the TV ads of people using it productivily and simply.
    We are both running the latest 5.0 ........(current) OS.
    What has happpened, when I try to text her...I start by opening a SMS and write and menu click and choose send. The text doesnt show me the checkmark and the the D. I click menu again and the send option is still there.I the text send again. But it disapears and cant review what I sent. My girlfriend doesnt get half the SMS I send now.
    When I get an SMS from her, I get a BBM icon. I open BBM, I can see the first sentance, but not the entire SMS chat. There is also a star with a red circle around it. I click and opene everything I can think of and cant get the red star or the BBM icon to disapear indicating the message has been read.
    Here is how we instigated our BBM as contacts. We exchanged PIN's, accepted each other, and then connected the BBM contact to our exsiting contacts in our address books.
    Now its like our SMS's are all attached to BBM. We/SHE doesnt want that. We want SMS to be the default way,and when we want to BBM, thats its own thing like PIN.
    God, I hope Im making sence here. I suggested we do this as the 6.0 is coming soon and now her phones not the same..so.. you know.. what Im up against.
    Thanks al
    -Dez
    09-04-10 04:12 PM
    Wow. This is hard to follow. Not sure what "6.0 coming soon" has to do with it. And you are mixing things that don't go together, so it is confusing to understand what is going on.

But what is sounds like is that you have linked a contact (your girlfriend) in BBM with a BlackBerry Contact.

Try this.

Go to the contact list in BBM. Highlight the contact for your girlfriend.
    Press the Menu button. Scroll to Contact Profile and select it.
    Press the Menu button again. Select Remove Contacts Link.

Note that on Verizon BlackBerry devices SMS is limited to 160 characters which (if I followed what you were saying) accounts for your girlfriend not getting the second half of this SMS you send.

Now when you want to communicate via BBM, go to the BBM icon (NOT the SMS icon) and initate the conversation there.

If you want to communicate via SMS (and I'm not sure why you would do that), then use the SMS icon.
    09-04-10 06:57 PM
    Spot on with that. I was messing with the link to contact function and got irritated with it. Nice concept, but not for everyone.
    09-04-10 07:01 PM
    Hey MAMA, Yes! just like posted above.."Spot On" with that! I had figured it out and completed test SMS's, then your exact diagonosis came across.
    I am soo sorry the OP was all over the place. Its VERY hard to describe all the crazy stuff it was doing. The goal was to have an SMS be just that, and not attached to BBM. We weren't used to the way that all functions. Ive had a BB for just under a year and G/F has had hers for just about a month.
    The mention of the upcoming 6.0 in my OP was that I assumed this was going to be the choice of communicating through BBM once its released.
    Thanks again for taking the time to read my op. Take care!
    -Dez
    09-05-10 08:30 AM
    Glad you got it sorted out.

You will still be able to use SMS even after 6.0 comes. (Although the Tour probably won't get 6.0 - at least not a full implementation of it.)

But if you both have BlackBerry devices, I don't know why you would use SMS. BBM is so much better.
    09-05-10 08:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD