Hi,

Ok so I'm going to another country soon. I think we'll have BBM, but I also wanna have an app or something where we can call each other either over WiFi or 3G. Something like Skype, but on BlackBerry.

I tried TringMe (which btw markets as an app that lets you call over WiFi, and then when you install it, it says only for OSes below 5.0), and TruPhone (TruPhone doesn't support Philippines, where I'm currently based). But they don't work the way I want them to.

Either that or a desktop-to-blackberry thing?
    As long as I don't have to tie up with the carrier, we're good.
    Please help!

Thanks!
    Phones involved here are Storm 2 and Bold 9700.
    09-04-10 11:03 AM
    Try the vonage app. You need to download it from there website but it works over wifi.
    09-05-10 12:10 PM
    The Vonage app would be great but it does not work on the Storm 2 9550. .
    The other thing you need to read the fine print on is that most of the VoiP apps or WiFi apps do not work when calling from outside the US.
    Last edited by asggold; 09-06-10 at 09:50 AM.
    09-05-10 02:47 PM
    vopium or truphone work good too !!
    09-05-10 04:03 PM
    Skype has a BB app...not sure if it's exclusive to Verizon or not though.
    09-05-10 07:18 PM
    Skype has a BB app...not sure if it's exclusive to Verizon or not though.
    I think it's exclusive to VZW. My storm is VZW, but using it in Philippines unlocked. Also, gonna travel to another Asian country.

vopium or truphone work good too !!
    TruPhone _says_ that it will work on WiFi, but it doesn't for anyone who has a 5.0 OS. False marketing.

Try the vonage app. You need to download it from there website but it works over wifi.
    Do we need to pay for it you think?

Thanks for the responses guys..
    09-05-10 10:46 PM
    Also, the countries involved would be India & Philippines. Vopium doesn't have Philippines in there. And for India it says "WiFi only", don't know what means.
    09-05-10 10:55 PM
    Oh, and TruPhone has emailed me to tell me that they do not have a VoIP (WiFi) application for the Blackberry.

From a person named Dave Watson.
    09-06-10 08:23 AM
    iSkoot iSkoot is ferer but whilst it uses SKype for the long distance far end hops, you still get charged for a local cell call. I use this quite a bit and it works well.
    09-06-10 08:46 AM
    No skype wifi. At least not on big red

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-10 08:54 AM
    Need VOIP? Sell your Blackberry.

After all my searches, I realized that my next phone will be whatever but a Blackberry (and I own a bb 9700).
    Ios, Android and Symbian have skype and thousands of apps.

In four words: NO VOIP FOR BB.
    09-06-10 10:30 AM
    Need VOIP? Sell your Blackberry.

After all my searches, I realized that my next phone will be whatever but a Blackberry (and I own a bb 9700).
    Ios, Android and Symbian have skype and thousands of apps.

In four words: NO VOIP FOR BB.
    Don't lose hope brother. There's a path, now we just need people to walk on it.
    09-06-10 01:35 PM
    iSkoot looks good, but it doesn't work in the Asian countries I'm set to travel in.
    09-06-10 01:38 PM
    Short answer - no.

All of the Skype apps seem to work by way of making a local phone call to access the Skype network (even Verizon's Skype app does this). iSkoot, Vonage, and so on all do this.

There are a few VOIP apps coming out, but nothing that works with Skype (most I've seen mainly are used to connect to BES/MVS).

The closest thing I've seen so far is IM+ Talk. It will connect to Skype via wifi, but is half-duplex, so it works like a walkie-talkie (push button to talk, let go to listen).
    09-07-10 09:11 AM
    Any insight as to when the REAL VoiP apps might be coming out and where to get them? From the searching I have done nothing seems to be aimed at Blackberry's. Even some of the tools that are currently using true VoiP for calls (not calling a local number and calling you back) don't have a call over VoiP option on their Blackberry apps.
    09-07-10 09:35 AM
    i'd like to know why the mvs5 isnt offered to consumers? is it the same thing as uma for cdma?
    10-30-10 04:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD