Dear All,

While the Beta of FakeCall is on the verge of completion, we are ready with a new Spam Filter application.

Spam Filter manages your mails by allowing you to create filters that automatically act on your incoming e-mails. Automatically delete spam e-mails or mark as opened. Create different Spam filters for particular email id's or specific words in the email id.

We want to test run this app for different device types and OSes. In case you are interested in trying a pre-release app, please post below your device model and full OS version so that we can get the ball rolling. I think we will start with a small group (maybe the first 15 to reply) for private beta.

Screen shots attached for an idea.

Best Regards,
    Ani.
    09-02-10 06:37 AM
    I'd love to try it for my non Gmail accounts

Bold 9650 5.0.732
    09-02-10 07:01 AM
    I'm interested. I have Bold 9700 on 5.0.0.862

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-10 07:17 AM
    I have a T-Mobile USA 9700 running 5.0.0.862.
    09-02-10 07:25 AM
    hi, i have a bold 9650 v5.0.0.699
    Thank you
    09-02-10 07:31 AM
    Would like to participate

Bold 9700 AT&T - O/S 5.0.0.602
    09-02-10 08:14 AM
    I would like to participate Bold 9700 5.0.0.442
    09-02-10 08:33 AM
    Curve 8530 OS 5.0.0.459

09-02-10 08:54 AM
    Count me in
    S2
    OS 5.0.0.713
    Thanks

09-02-10 09:40 AM
    I'll help
    Curve 8530
    Os 5.0.0.734

09-02-10 09:59 AM
    i have a 9700 OS 5.0.0.714
    09-02-10 10:30 AM
    I'm in, Bold 2 9700, T-mobile, OS 5.0.0.862

09-02-10 11:52 AM
    put me in....
    09-02-10 12:05 PM
    I'd like to try it Bold 9650 running .810!!!
    09-02-10 01:00 PM
    Ok Ani,
    I do not see an icon anywhere and it is not listed in Options. The only way I can begin to access it is to go into my mail box and select "Manage Spams" from the menu. Now when I get in there it say "trial", then I click register, and it asks for a user name/password for registration, which I dont know.
    1) is there supposed to be an icon?
    2) is it supposed to be listed in my options list?
    3) what is my user name and password to register it?
    Brad
    09-04-10 04:09 AM
    Dear All,
    I have sent the beta version to few members. And thanks to the enthusiastic members have even received the first feedback!!

Ok Ani,
    I do not see an icon anywhere and it is not listed in Options. The only way I can begin to access it is to go into my mail box and select "Manage Spams" from the menu. Now when I get in there it say "trial", then I click register, and it asks for a user name/password for registration, which I don't know.
    1) is there supposed to be an icon?
    2) is it supposed to be listed in my options list?
    3) what is my user name and password to register it?
    Brad
    Hi Brad,
    Thanks for the quick(est) feedback! No, there is no icon. This would be a simple app that everyone can understand and use very easily so there are not many options in there.. That is why I thought that an icon would be overkill. Do you feel I should give that?

The options are integrated to the menu itself whether to mark as spam or to manage the spam filters. Maybe i need to rename that menu to Manage Spam Filters (instead of just Manage Spam).

I have not yet created the beta codes, but i will be doing them in some time from now.. Till then the app will still run in fully functional trial mode.

Best,
    Ani.
    09-04-10 04:15 AM
    Hi Brad,
    Thanks for the quick(est) feedback!
    LOL. I just love to test new applications. Also, I like to give my input and have the features I like implemented. People always download an app and say "Why did they/didn't they do this...", and if I give feedback, I don't have to say that. It's like voting... If you don't vote, your voice is not heard, and you can't construct change.
    No, there is no icon. This would be a simple app that everyone can understand and use very easily so there are not many options in there.. That is why I thought that an icon would be overkill. Do you feel I should give that?.
    Please... NO ICON!!! I was just asking...
    The options are integrated to the menu itself whether to mark as spam or to manage the spam filters. Maybe i need to rename that menu to Manage Spam Filters (instead of just Manage Spam)..
    Yes... I would agree that it needs to be changed to "Manage Spam Filters". "Manage Spams" (with the extra S) is not so good. Also the word "Filters" associates the menu entry with your app, so it's easily found.

The problem I have is, I do not see the app dialogue in pic 2 and 3 in your OP. I have no idea how to access the app to see this. When I click on "Manage Spams" it just says "No Spam" in a gray box. It does nothing when I click on it. Am I supposed to receive spam and "Mark as Spam" first before I see this or continue? Shouldn't I be able to set up an email addy or something? What am I missing?

Also before we even get started, I hope it has the ability to block by whole domain names. lol.
    I have not yet created the beta codes, but i will be doing them in some time from now.. Till then the app will still run in fully functional trial mode..
    This is tied to my earlier statement. The app does not appear to be functional at face value. I thought we may need codes to access the app that's all. I like to beta test, but I am NOT in it for a freebie. I can purchase any app I want at any time. I just have no idea how to see the dialogue you posted. I can't seem to do anything with it.
    09-04-10 04:53 AM
    Ok here waiting to see if it works. I marked a few as spam with the action to del. I assume if I don't get it, it works. I will also mark a particular one with the action as Read. I don't think it needs an icon even though I know MAD was just asking. MAD have you actually marked any emaisl as spam with the desired action? Once this is done then you go to manage spam you will see the list of email addresses you marked as spam. I also went to manage spam first since I saw this opt first. But scroll up more you should see an opt to mark as spam.

09-04-10 06:01 AM
    Ok here waiting to see if it works. I marked a few as spam with the action to del. I assume if I don't get it, it works. I will also mark a particular one with the action as Read. I don't think it needs an icon even though I know MAD was just asking. MAD have you actually marked any emaisl as spam with the desired action? Once this is done then you go to manage spam you will see the list of email addresses you marked as spam. I also went to manage spam first since I saw this opt first. But scroll up more you should see an opt to mark as spam.

I get brain farts sometimes you know... lol
    I see what you are talking about. But what has gotten me confused is as I stated before... Am I supposed to receive a spam email first, then "Mark as Spam" to have the entry in my list? Because as it works now, I have to select any email, mark it as spam from the menu, then edit the email addy in order to have the new email addy of my choice that I want blocked entered in the list. Am I correct?

I don't have any spam emails on my device to mark as spam yet. So to add them in before hand I must do this editing from emails that I do want, and convert them to emails that I want blocked.

Yeah, an icon is totally not needed for this, I was just asking if there was one, because I didn't see one upon install.
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 09-04-10 at 06:35 AM.
    09-04-10 06:30 AM
    The "Mark As Spam" option can also be used to create a new spam filter. You don't have to open a particular mail to access the Spam Filter options. The Spam Filter options available in the menu work independent of the email you have opened.

Ani.
    09-04-10 06:45 AM
    I actually had a spam email come through my work (BIS connected) inbox. I marked the email as spam and hit save but nothing happened. I waited a little then logged in via OWA (Outlook Web Access) on my laptop and the email is still there. A couple of questions below

1-What are the expected results on the web inbox and/or the Blackberry when we mark as spam and save in the app?
    2-Will the domain that the email is from (.whatever.com) be blocked or just the specific email address?

Thanks for the opportunity to beta this.
    09-04-10 10:45 AM
    I'd love to try it out...

9650 running .699

09-04-10 10:55 AM
    I actually had a spam email come through my work (BIS connected) inbox. I marked the email as spam and hit save but nothing happened. I waited a little then logged in via OWA (Outlook Web Access) on my laptop and the email is still there. A couple of questions below

1-What are the expected results on the web inbox and/or the Blackberry when we mark as spam and save in the app?
    2-Will the domain that the email is from (.whatever.com) be blocked or just the specific email address?

Thanks for the opportunity to beta this.
    When you 'Mark as Spam' then SpamFilter will give you a popup where it creates a spam rule for that message. In there you can set whether you want the exact email address or the whole domain. The popup simply says "Email Contains" so if you want to just block the domain, you can remove everything before the @.

Also, the default action for mails that match the SpamFilter is 'Mark as Read'. But you can change the action to Delete also. So depending on your choice, all messages matching that email address (or the domain) will be marked as read or deleted. It depends on the SpamFilter you create.

Thanks,
    Ani.
    09-04-10 11:39 AM
    The "Mark As Spam" option can also be used to create a new spam filter. You don't have to open a particular mail to access the Spam Filter options. The Spam Filter options available in the menu work independent of the email you have opened.

Ani.
    Ok. Had to take my youngest daughter to dance class.

I see exactly how it works now. I was never actually opening any emails. I was just within the email messages app highlighting any random email. I see the difference now between highlighting/opening an email, and using "Mark as Spam" when at the top of the list such as where the current date is in the messages app. When a message is highlighted or opened, if you hit "Mark as Spam", the popup will show with the senders email addy (which I thought always had to be edited). If you hit "Mark as Spam" while at the current date, or within the SMS messages app, the popup will be blank to set up the email addy you want. The filter options only show while in the messages app or while in the SMS app. The filter menu items will not show while anywhere else on the device, and it only shows up as a blank popup while in the SMS app as well. When I say blank, I mean that the fields are empty, and you can enter the information of your choice.

Got it. Thanks.
    09-04-10 12:00 PM
    Also, the default action for mails that match the SpamFilter is 'Mark as Read'. But you can change the action to Delete also. So depending on your choice, all messages matching that email address (or the domain) will be marked as read or deleted. It depends on the SpamFilter you create.

Thanks,
    Ani.
    I also wanted to possibly answer RTS3K's question about how I believe the emails are handled. The command of "Mark as Read" will not mark your email as "read" when you log into your PC unless within your messages app, you have clicked Options->Email Reconciliation->pick the email address that the spam came into, and set "Wireless Reconciliation" to "on". The "Delete" command is for local execution only(on device), and emails will not be deleted from your email server when you log into your PC. It will not effect your actual email account servers unless you tell your device to communicate with the servers to allow this.

If you want to have an effect on your email account server when marking it to be deleted, you have to go into your messages app, then click Options->Email Reconciliation->pick the email address that the spam came into, and select Delete->Mailbox & Handheld. Also make sure you have the next option of "Wireless Reconcile" set to "on" as well. This way whenever a spam email comes in for that specific email addy, and gets deleted by the on device app filter, it will also be deleted on your email server. It should not show when you log into your PC.

HTH.
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 09-04-10 at 12:33 PM.
    09-04-10 12:29 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD