New to blackberry and simple mobile, however is there any work arounds to get my default browser working and blackberry app world up and running?

Thanks!
    09-02-10 02:25 AM
    *bump*

BIS is not even available in all countries; which is a tad sad. In Sweden, there's only three carriers offering the BB service, of which only two offers BIS, of which only one is available to consumers (non-corporate). And equally sad, that carrier has the worst coverage and is also the most expensive one - the coverage, in fact, is so lackluster that in my part of Sweden, I can't get a signal AT ALL. Thus I am not available to use BIS or BES at all, which is a shame because I'd love to have a BB.

From what I've read on this forum, I gather the following:

- You can not use the built in browser, but Opera Mini (aftermarket browser) and surf without BIS
    - On some models you can replace the service book to get full functionality without BIS

I'd be happy if anyone here could confirm or deny the above, and perhaps elaborate.
    09-24-10 02:03 AM
    This is true. You can do the above by replacing the service books. need only gprs/edge for that.
    10-14-10 04:21 AM
    Its been over 6 months since they announced BIS service coming soon!

Its about time they start offering it!
    RFGSelf likes this.
    12-18-10 06:58 AM
    Default Blackberry Browser Setup.

Step 1. Open Blackberry Desktop Manager. If not installed download from
    us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

Step 2. Download service books from:
    depositfiles.com/en/files/0eg53h1g3

Step 3. Extract the files and connect your blackberry to the Blackberry Desktop Manager.

Step 4. Enable Legacy SB Restore mode:

Go to Options > Advanced Options > Service Book.

Most Blackberries (QWERTY): hold ALT and press S B E B
    Pearl models: (with 1/2 qwerty model hold ALT and press S S B E B)
    Touch screen: (hold [!?123] until it show lock icon and press 4 ? 2 ? - mean ALT SBEB )
    you will see the message Legacy SB Restore Enable.

Step 5. Install Simple Mobile Blackberry service books:

New Blackberry Desktop Manager method: Select Device > Select Restore > In Restore select Change folder... and select the folder that contains the backup file (.ipd) that you extracted > Select Restore

Old Blackberry Desktop Manager method: Select Backup and Restore > Select Advanced > In Advanced option select Service Book > Open the backup file (.ipd) that you extracted > Then select Service Book at the left colum.

Step 6. After restoration of Service Book, restart your phone and make sure Service Book Browser Config and Email are on your phone.

You can check it in Options > Advanced Options > Service book. If not, follow all above steps again.

Step 7. The Service Book for Browser needs to be changed. On your device navigate to Options > Advanced Options > Browser > and change Default browser configuration to Browser

You now have the default browser. You will see Browser icon displaying on the BlackBerry Desktop.

Step 8. Next step is that you need tcp configurations go to Options > Advanced Options > TCP/IP. Be sure there is a check mark for APN Settings Enable and for the APN type “simple”. Right below that Ensure that APN Authentication is not not checked, then click on the Blackberry menu button and choose “Save"

For the Blackberry App World just visit blackberry.com/appworld/download from your smartphone to download.

For MMS create a Gmail account and download the app to recieve mms to your phone.
    Last edited by andy_51053; 12-25-10 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Gmail for MMS
    millien9930 likes this.
    12-25-10 03:42 AM
    I just found out that SimpleMobile offers 3G speeds only if your device supports the 1700Mhz brand else if will run on 2G!

After all its not simple anymore! Too many ifs and buts!

BTW does anyone know how to get RID of the T-Mobile start up screen Logo on your BBs?
    12-30-10 03:58 PM
    Hi all,
    Just wondering if anybody has tried this w/a 9530. I'll be experimenting myself within the next couple of days I'm going to read up some more and post my results here. I just got an unlocked one yesterday. By the way @ andy_51053 in Step 8 is the "Right below that Ensure that APN Authentication is not not checked," just a typo or is it supposed to BE checked?

P.S. If I wipe my storm clean and re-install the OS will I need to unlock again? I'm sure I can find an answer to this but might as well try here as well. Thanks
    01-07-11 02:44 PM
    I have the bb9700 OS6 on simple mobile, everything works except bbm. i spoke with a rep and told me that they were starting BIS service in the next two weeks..we'll find out.
    01-12-11 06:28 PM
    Works great but I find myself using Opera mini sometimes, speeds seems better. How do I set up email though, the client is there but I can't set it up, it doesn't give me an option and my email's won't go through. I d/loaded the gmail app but it won't let me attach pics.. how do i use it to send pics?

Edit: So I found out that Gmail App won't let you attach documents, pics, etc.. confirmed by google themselves
    Last edited by MassiveRican; 01-21-11 at 04:08 PM.
    01-18-11 08:54 PM
    Hey andy_51053 thanks you're a lifesaver
    my BB browser and BB app world works great.
    anyone else that's trying this only thing I had to do on top of
    his detailed instructions was delete the
    service book of T-mobile web2go then Reboot and then it worked perfect.
    Also for Email you can use Logicmail and you can setup any email
    address to it. I only wish I could get Facebook app working
    that would be great.
    01-27-11 11:04 AM
    This is probably my solution but step 4 is beyond me, how do you press all 3 keys at once?

Default Blackberry Browser Setup.

Step 1. Open Blackberry Desktop Manager. If not installed download from
    us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

Step 2. Download service books from:
    depositfiles.com/en/files/0eg53h1g3

Step 3. Extract the files and connect your blackberry to the Blackberry Desktop Manager.

Step 4. Enable Legacy SB Restore mode:

Go to Options > Advanced Options > Service Book.

Most Blackberries (QWERTY): hold ALT and press S B E B
    Pearl models: (with 1/2 qwerty model hold ALT and press S S B E B)
    Touch screen: (hold [!?123] until it show lock icon and press 4 ? 2 ? - mean ALT SBEB )
    you will see the message Legacy SB Restore Enable.

Step 5. Install Simple Mobile Blackberry service books:

New Blackberry Desktop Manager method: Select Device > Select Restore > In Restore select Change folder... and select the folder that contains the backup file (.ipd) that you extracted > Select Restore

Old Blackberry Desktop Manager method: Select Backup and Restore > Select Advanced > In Advanced option select Service Book > Open the backup file (.ipd) that you extracted > Then select Service Book at the left colum.

Step 6. After restoration of Service Book, restart your phone and make sure Service Book Browser Config and Email are on your phone.

You can check it in Options > Advanced Options > Service book. If not, follow all above steps again.

Step 7. The Service Book for Browser needs to be changed. On your device navigate to Options > Advanced Options > Browser > and change Default browser configuration to Browser

You now have the default browser. You will see Browser icon displaying on the BlackBerry Desktop.

Step 8. Next step is that you need tcp configurations go to Options > Advanced Options > TCP/IP. Be sure there is a check mark for APN Settings Enable and for the APN type �simple�. Right below that Ensure that APN Authentication is not not checked, then click on the Blackberry menu button and choose �Save"

For the Blackberry App World just visit blackberry.com/appworld/download from your smartphone to download.

For MMS create a Gmail account and download the app to recieve mms to your phone.
    04-07-11 08:32 PM
    This is probably my solution but step 4 is beyond me, how do you press all 3 keys at once?
    You just hold ALT, and press the rest once with your other free index finger.
    04-07-11 08:54 PM
    Hey I recently switched to this service under their $60 dollar plan which supposedly has all the features. But all that works is calls and text messaging. I installed Opera but when I try to use it, it says: "Unable to connect. Please review your network settings. The original browser does work however but only at home with the wi-fi signal.

Is there a way I can make Opera or the original browser work without having to be at home using wi-fi? And what about instant messaging like windows live, does it work for anyone or is this company just a big scam?
    04-10-11 11:28 AM
    Hey I recently switched to this service under their $60 dollar plan which supposedly has all the features. But all that works is calls and text messaging. I installed Opera but when I try to use it, it says: "Unable to connect. Please review your network settings. The original browser does work however but only at home with the wi-fi signal.

Is there a way I can make Opera or the original browser work without having to be at home using wi-fi? And what about instant messaging like windows live, does it work for anyone or is this company just a big scam?
    Simple Mobile doesn't have Blackberry Internet Service, that's why you need to use Opera and all those work-arounds.
    You need Blackberry Internet Service to use Windows Live.
    I really wouldn't get into Simple Mobile, with a smartphone, well at least for Blackberry.
    If you really need a good/cheap carrier, I would suggest either Virgin Mobile or Boost.
    They both use Sprint towers, Virgin Mobile is cheaper though.
    Pre-paid from Verizon, or most of the major carriers is good also but a bit more expensive.
    04-10-11 01:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD