I have the Bold 9650 on Verizon. Is there any way for me to record a greeting, and have that be the only thing a caller will listen to?

I can't stand the "at the tone, please leave your message, when you are finished, you may hang up, or press.... blah blah blah"
    Last edited by DesertLS1; 09-01-10 at 01:54 PM.
    09-01-10 11:39 AM
    Voice mail has nothing to do with blackberry or RIM. You need to call your carrier or check the options in your voice mail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-10 12:52 PM
    yes, you should have options to change that,it will be your own voice though, sprint does have those options... Big red could be different

09-01-10 01:38 PM
    Has anyone been able to shorten the greeting on their Verizon BB?
    09-01-10 01:53 PM
    Just use something like Youmail + call forwarding, easiest way to bypass all this.
    09-01-10 01:54 PM
    Just use something like Youmail + call forwarding, easiest way to bypass all this.
    Does Verizon charge for this? I know Youmail is free, but not sure about Verizon
    09-01-10 02:17 PM
    You mail vs Verizon visual voice mail

Looks like call forwarding is free on VZ.

The only issue is that call forwarding uses your minutes during the call (but so does dialing to check your VM...). The VZ visual voicemail uses data only, but it's a monthly charge anyways, so...

If you use the Youmail app make sure to disable auto-checking... You get email notifications anyways and the app can recognize when you get one.
    09-01-10 02:21 PM
    Yes there is the option in voicemail options to record your own greeting.
    09-01-10 02:29 PM
    Yes there is the option in voicemail options to record your own greeting.
    Yeah there is, but it still leaves the "when you are finished, you can hang up, or press 1 for more options .... blah blah blah" nonsense.

I'm trying out the youmail to see how that works. So far it's okay, I just don't like the delay between the rings and the time it takes to play your greeting, there is a long awkward pause while the call is being forwarded to youmail
    09-02-10 07:23 AM
    Well I just installed the youmail app on my 9650. It slowed to a literal standstill

This app is going in the recycle bin asap. I did a battery pull and now it's been 15min and the OS hasn't even loaded yet. This all started with the installation of the youmail app.

So I'll keep using youmail for now, but certainly won't use the youmail app.

I'm not sure if this is a Blackberry problem, an OS problem, an app compatibility issue, or what
    09-02-10 08:17 AM
    Google voice. Nuff said.

09-02-10 11:15 AM
    Has anyone gone from youmail to google voice? Is it the same? Better? or just different?

I have been on youmail for a while and love it dearly.
    09-02-10 11:22 AM
    Has anyone gone from youmail to google voice? Is it the same? Better? or just different?

I have been on youmail for a while and love it dearly.
    And do you use the Youmail app, and is it on a 5.0 OS BB?
    09-02-10 11:42 AM
    And do you use the Youmail app, and is it on a 5.0 OS BB?
    I ditched Youmail for Google Voice because Google Voice offers all the same features plus a lot more, including email notificiations of new voicemail that include a transcription (often humorous) of the message.

But you're doing an awful lot if all you want is to get rid of the "please leave a message at the tone" bit. I don't believe VZW makes it possible.

Personally, what I'd do is say "to bypass this greeting and leave a message immediately, press *" at the beginning of my greeting.
    09-02-10 03:31 PM
    I use both (on different phones). I like Youmail for the various greetings and it emails you the TRUE caller ID (unless that person is a saved contact). Transcriptions are not free so if you want that feature then GV is your best bet.
    09-04-10 08:13 PM
    I've used both and prefer google voice because it give transcriptions and I use the GV number for work related stuff.

09-04-10 11:02 PM
    I would encourage OP to continue to search around in the "voicemail" options. I finally, after several years , discovered something called "advanced options" or something like that. It makes everything within voicemail shorter. I call to check msgs and it plays msgs auto and then says "3 to delete, 7 to save". None of the blah blah blah . . .
    09-05-10 07:57 AM
    Sorry for jumping on your thread, but I have a quick question about Google Voice: Does it still alert the caller that they are being routed through Google Voice or does it just ring normally on their end?
    09-05-10 09:01 AM
    @phixion
    you can change your settings to have all your calls coming directly to your BB without the callers knowing they're being redirected via GV to your headset.
    09-05-10 04:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD