Anyone know if UMA is down for Rogers? I got 6 BB's from 2 8320, 4 8900 at work and they are all showing this..

And my personal 9700 with the firmware that UMA works on and which normally works at home is showing the same thing.

UMA
    Connection Pref.: Wi-Fi Preferred
    UMA Wi-Fi Available: Successful
    Connection: Error
    Error Code:
    Reg. UNC Address: hbsc.uma.rogers.com:14001
    Authentication: Trying...
    Serving UNC Address: hbsc.uma.rogers.com:14001
    Security Gateway Address: segw.uma.rogers.com
    Cell Info.:
    Cell. handover to UMA failures:
    Cell. rove-in failures:
    08-30-10 06:45 PM
    I just gave it a try now and UMA won't engage on my 9700. Odd. Maybe they're experimenting some more...
    08-30-10 06:53 PM
    Yep I am getting the same. No UMA as of August 30, 2010 - 8 PM
    08-30-10 07:09 PM
    Yeah I lost mine sometime last night. it did work all weekend.
    08-30-10 07:15 PM
    looks like UMA is down for good for non subscribers.
    My daughter has a 8520 with the talkspot plan, she is up.
    My wife has a 9700 with V.5.0.0.862 installed, with talkspot, she is up.
    My 9700 on a corporate account, is DOWN.

I live in an area with no service, so my phone is useless after work hours.

Maybe Rogers will offer us a Microcell like AT&T.
    08-30-10 08:21 PM
    My bold 9700 went down this weekend too. I'm on a corporate account.

edit: I'm not sub'd to Talkspot, which probl'y explains why I got cut off.
    Last edited by vonnaone; 08-30-10 at 09:06 PM.
    08-30-10 08:50 PM
    No problems here, mine has not missed a beat in months.

I am a TalkSpot subscriber, unlimited national calling is sweet!
    08-30-10 09:05 PM
    Both the 9700's and both 8520's went down on us too. We do not subscribe to talkspot. Sure enjoyed it while it lasted though!
    08-30-10 09:21 PM
    Wow this sucks. We have been using UMA at work because EDGE doesn't work at all in our building and 3G barely works. I am going to need to have a convo with our corp rep today. That's 25 berries that just become useless 10-12 hours a day.

And they told someone else in our company this wouldn't happen so we have not been buying 3G phones only 8900 and 8530's
    08-31-10 06:45 AM
    This has put a halt to my thoughts of an early upgrade to the latest and greatest from BlackBerry.

UMA is critical for me, I live in a rural setting, many miles away from the nearest cell tower. I am lucky to see 1 bar at intervals through the day, more often, there is no usable signal.

Can other members experiencing problems confirm the status of the failure?

Connections / Wifi Options. Menu / Wifi Diagnostics. Confirm a good Wifi connection then scroll down to the UMA section.

Unable to connect ... is a normal message that should resolve shortly... Not Allowed ... is the serious concern.
    08-31-10 09:47 AM
    I have been using Talkspot since it came out, without subscribing. Service stopped working Monday morning and I called tech support and was informed that as of Aug 23 2010, users must subscribe to a talkspot plan to access the UMA network. I talked to customer service and she has a $5/month Talkspot access plan that does not include any free calling. As soon as I added it and re-booted the phone.... Talkspot worked again.
    08-31-10 01:01 PM
    This sucks, so they take away a nice feature and hand us the big screw you. Not happy.
    08-31-10 02:53 PM
    I called Rogers about 2 weeks ago and they said there is no $5 options just to USE uma. It's just generally available and only the $10 and $15 options are available for unlimited talk... But uma is down for me too :S
    09-01-10 10:07 AM
    Just got off with ROGERS!! Good and bad news :S

Bad: UMA is now $5/month if you want to JUST use the service. (It's included on some plans, ie. Student Plans)

Good: Service rep i spoke to just advised me that he got an email 10 mins ago, stating... BLACKBERRY TORCH coming out SEPTEMBER 24TH TO ROGERS!!!! Official!
    09-01-10 11:12 AM
    Wow and I vaguely remember a few weeks ago this board not believing me when I said there was a $5 option.

Just so ya know. Retention has the same feature. Only its free.

I have been using Talkspot since it came out, without subscribing. Service stopped working Monday morning and I called tech support and was informed that as of Aug 23 2010, users must subscribe to a talkspot plan to access the UMA network. I talked to customer service and she has a $5/month Talkspot access plan that does not include any free calling. As soon as I added it and re-booted the phone.... Talkspot worked again.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-10 01:29 AM
    And thats exactly what im doing today Along with trying to get a cheaper options for data since I never use my 500meg quota lol. I'll keep this thread updated on how it goes

Wow and I vaguely remember a few weeks ago this board not believing me when I said there was a $5 option.

Just so ya know. Retention has the same feature. Only its free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-10 08:21 AM
    it's too bad... i thought this feature was pretty good too.
    09-07-10 12:56 AM
    It took 45 minutes and 3 different agents, but Rogers actually entered some code on their end and had me reboot my 8900 to get my UMA back.

Of course it was explained to them that I had switched to Rogers and purchased a Javelin 8900 a year and a half ago precisely because the phone had WiFi and had UMA. UMA has worked on the phone automatically since day one. I have never had Talkspot and my Internet is not even with Rogers. I just emphasized that whatever they had to do to get my UMA that came with the phone when I signed my 3 year contract had to involve NO increase in my monthly bill. Two people later, we're good to go.

I was getting text messages of my voice mails 8 hours late yesterday without UMA and they were dropping my calls like they were hot potatoes. This was a show stopper.
    09-08-10 04:23 PM
    Hi guys!

I am Elise, I work with the Rogers online communications team.

We made a change to Talkspot in an effort to ensure proper bandwith for that service, with the goal of improving service and adding utility to customers, especially for those in rural areas.

Talkspot usage was billed out of your voice bucket. Now you have the choice of two unlimited plans that will allow you to place local calls or Canada-wide via your wireless network without using any of your voice minutes. Please go to Rogers.com[slash]Talkspot for more info.

Another option that may be of interest is our unlimited local/long distance plans. Info on Rogers.com[slash]longdistance

And if you are a student, you can benefit from free WiFi calling feature included in some of our student plans. You will find info about on our blo0g RedBoard.

So you actually have a lot of options to choose from!

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to contact me via PM or on Twitter. I am @RogersElise.

PS: Unfortunately, I cannot link to the right pages because this is our first post here. Sorry for inconvenience.
    09-09-10 02:01 PM
    Hi guys!

I am Elise, I work with the Rogers online communications team.

We made a change to Talkspot in an effort to ensure proper bandwith for that service, with the goal of improving service and adding utility to customers, especially for those in rural areas.

Talkspot usage was billed out of your voice bucket. Now you have the choice of two unlimited plans that will allow you to place local calls or Canada-wide via your wireless network without using any of your voice minutes. Please go to Rogers.com[slash]Talkspot for more info.

Another option that may be of interest is our unlimited local/long distance plans. Info on Rogers.com[slash]longdistance

And if you are a student, you can benefit from free WiFi calling feature included in some of our student plans. You will find info about on our blo0g RedBoard.

So you actually have a lot of options to choose from!

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to contact me via PM or on Twitter. I am @RogersElise.

PS: Unfortunately, I cannot link to the right pages because this is our first post here. Sorry for inconvenience.
    Hi Elise - thanks for the update in regards to Rogers and UMA. Hopefully you can answer some additional UMA related questions:

1. When will Rogers announce 'official' support for UMA on its 3G devices?
    2. When UMA for 3G is 'official', will it include UMA support for the Torch?

Thanks!
    09-09-10 05:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD