There are a lot of very negative reviews out there, mostly from Berry haters I am sure. One thing I thought when reading the specs and all the reviews think the same thing, is around the display ? Is it really as bad as they say ? Obviously it's not an Iphone, but I always thought the display on the Bolds were pretty darn crisp. I have read several reviews that talk about how poor text and pictures alike look on the Torch display.

any feed back would be appreciated as I have been looking forward to the Torch and now I'm not so sure ??
    08-30-10 01:10 PM
    It's crisp, bright and looks great.

Next to an iPhone4 it's clearly inferior but I think it looks good anyways. While I'd like it to be better, of course, it's not even close to "bad".
    08-30-10 01:12 PM
    Mine's nice and clear - nothing close to "bad".
    08-30-10 01:16 PM
    thats about what I figured. Next to an Iphone it probably is bad, but Next to a BB there are things about an Iphone that are bad. Glad to hear, now I can go back to being excited about getting the Torch.
    08-30-10 01:22 PM
    It's the same as the iPod touch. I've yet to see anyone critcize that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-10 01:24 PM
    It's all relative. I'm coming from a Curve 8350i so this looks amazing to me. Plus, I have the benefit of never having seen an iPhone, Droid, Captivate etc. up close (better to not know what you're missing, right?)
    08-30-10 01:27 PM
    it's the same as an ipod touch or an ipod 3G or 3GS..
    BUT if you insist on a Retina display then go iphone 4
    or an OLED screen by Samsung
    08-30-10 01:30 PM
    It's relative to what you are used to. Compared to the 16M color screens on my Nokias, it is a downgrade, but it is very useable and not bad at all. Don't know why RIM didn't go with a 16M color display tho.....
    08-30-10 01:32 PM
    I agree
    Comin from a dude from Toronto Canada, where we're still wait for this BB to light up in flams.
    I've read upon and research and to me it's still pretty effin SICK !
    I'm an iPhone hater soo that has to tell you alot lol
    btw @Garpoonga did you read the review by CB? There's comparison on i4 pics/vid and Tourch.
    Check them out, you'll notice the diff.
    Hope that helps
    08-30-10 01:35 PM
    I totally think Its fine. Had an iphone 3G and basically the same. I am more than happy with the display

08-30-10 01:40 PM
    I read the CB review first, I think it is hard to find a truely impartial review. I love my Curve and am expecting to love the Torch. I love my Ipod Touch too, but as a travel companion not a tool I rely on daily.
    08-30-10 01:44 PM
    I hear yea Garpoonga I hear ya,

I started with HTC TOUCH, then that OS effed up. Went to the Storm 1 loved it but then emails started getting slow by 1/2 hr. Then tried upgrading the OS but downgraded it instead. Then bought the TOUR - LOVE THIS LIL SUCKA TO DEATH to the point to where changing the housing (metalic purple). BUT THE TOURCH ! MAN like I said it's just killing me. I love my iTouch lol
    08-30-10 01:56 PM
    The display is good and gets the job done. I have not had any problems with the screen and think that everything looks good on it.
    08-30-10 01:56 PM
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the display. My wife has an Iphone 3GS and i don't notice any difference. It might not be as crisp or as bright as some of the other phones, but i'm not trying to watch HD video on it either. The torch is the best phone rim (in my opinion) has put out. Keyboard and touch screen is it on a blackberry.
    08-30-10 01:59 PM
    The screen is brilliant and bright if it where to have more pixels and same brightness you would be looking at more battery consumption for no added actual performance

08-30-10 02:09 PM
    it's blinding bright... seriously..
    i have mine to 30% but it is still bright as day.
    anybody who says the Torch screen is not bright enough is either 1. has a vision problem or 2. doesn't have an actual torch at hand.
    08-30-10 02:12 PM
    I have no problems with the screen. Any time you see an article, magazine or web site bashing RIM/BB look around and see who advertises with them. If RIM were doing the advertising everything else would be crap.
    08-30-10 02:14 PM
    I think it looks fine. It doesn't look great. It looks like the iphone 3g, which is not bad. If you compare to bold 9700, 9700 wins, but not by much. If u compare to droid x, captivate or iphone4, then u already know who wins.
    Overall, it looks good. Its great for web browsing, for emails, for regular phone stuff, even for youtube and watching videos. Would I be content watching a movie on it, no. So what?

08-30-10 02:25 PM
    Definitely nothing wrong with it at all. I have mine at 10% brightness and it's still plenty bright, pics look great, video looks great, text is crisp and clear. Anything larger or higher res is more power consuming and definitely unnecessary.
    08-30-10 02:36 PM
    Agree! I think it is great, I do not find myself saying if only.....
    08-30-10 02:38 PM
    It's the same screen as the storm's. If you don't like the storm's display you wont like the torch's.
    08-30-10 03:21 PM
    I can say coming from the Bold9k to the Torch that two things were noticable. Side vewing angle washes out very quickly from not much of an angle, also the res was preventing me from reading a full portrait rendered web page without zooming like I could on the Bold. Other than that, its bright and looks good for its use.
    08-30-10 07:34 PM
    They are really speaking in relative terms, factoring in the average price of the torch against similarly priced handsets.

The display quality and resolution is about the same as the iphone and the ipod touch, so it would be wrong to just say the display is 'bad' which might mean unusable to a lot of people.

The fact is though, if you're picking up the torch at the regular price (200) then you really are getting less processing power and screen resolution per dollar, which is at the heart of most anti-torch reviews out there. (I'm not sure why, but most reviews don't spell it out so obviously, leading to an impression that the torch is somehow DOA) If you can manage to get it for a bit less, I'd say the torch is a fantastic workhorse device for most of your mobile needs, unless you really want to program your own apps for your mobile.

08-30-10 08:05 PM
    It's crisp, bright and looks great.

Next to an iPhone4 it's clearly inferior but I think it looks good anyways. While I'd like it to be better, of course, it's not even close to "bad".
    +1, couldn't agree more.
    08-30-10 08:15 PM
    if the iphone 4 retina display is the good one.. then the REST is bad..
    throw all your phones and let's all buy an iphone 4..
    the most important criterion for buying a phone is the display right?
    not the battery life, nor the signal, nor the UI, nor the Email, nor the keyboard etc etc
    08-30-10 08:25 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD