I have read about the hate for Touchwiz etc, but after a week with this phone I am in no way even remotely tempted to root it. It's the most stable and smooth running phone I have ever owned - Curve included. I love Touchwiz as well. I haven't had any lag at all, and I just made it 38 hours without charging it, with GPS and WiFi running the entire time and moderate to heavy use.

Does everyone root the thing? Am I the only person in Androidland who hasn't rooted it and isn't tempted?
    08-29-10 05:11 AM
    I have no desire to root my DInc...I use to have a bb storm 2 and would run hybrids all the time.. My Android is the BEST phone I have ever had.. I dont miss the screen freezing and the battery pulls and the 10min reboot up time..
    08-29-10 06:40 AM
    Yes. There is literally 0 loss from rooting. All you do is gain.

It's like someone's giving away free food, but you're not starving. Sure you might not NEED it, but it's nice to have just in case.
    08-29-10 06:51 AM
    the first things i did when i got my captivate were root the phone and replace touchwiz with launcher pro
    08-29-10 07:07 AM
    No one is forcing you to root, but you have more options when you root, such as installing a screenshot app rather than having to connect to your PC and using the SDK to capture. Also you can install titanium backup and remove system installed apps from your cell carrier (like Rogers Navigator, urMusic, etc). And installing custom animating bootloaders, system ROMs, etc.

Just rooted my Motorola Quench yesterday and what a different world it is now with it.
    08-29-10 08:32 AM
    I had my original Droid rooted and the only benefit I found was having WiFi tether. It made the phone less stable. I ran countless roms, and while some had benefits they ALL had bugs.

I have no desire whatsoever do root my Droid X.
    08-29-10 08:46 AM
    I will root when I get bord with the way they are (INC.& DX) , But right now its all good , much , much better then it was before with they berry ,LoL
    08-29-10 09:02 AM
    I got my htc for 3 weeks and I'm very satisfied (fast, browser, customizable, market apps, no need to reboot, more and more ..) but I started to read on xda developers rooter. What worries me is that some Rom have such advantage, but have no others, some have problems with camera or another and obviously what about the warranty if I root, is it still valid? But I admit that you can install applications on the SD would be much appreciated
    08-29-10 09:10 AM
    There are lots of people who are perfectly happy with their phone the way it is, and feel no need to root. On the other hand, there are lots of people who want to be able to install cutom ROMs, and use other features that are only available to rooted phones.
    08-29-10 09:33 AM
    I rooted simply out of sheer boredom / curiosity. Stock/unrooted incredible ran like a dream, I just like to tinker.

This isn't like BB where many people feel compelled to install a leak or hybrid because they feel the stock phone is not very good. Your phone running great isn't an argument NOT to root. Also, rooting doesn't mean you immediately are supposed to install a custom ROM or kernel.

Think of rooting as having admin rights to your phone. That's it.
    08-29-10 09:51 AM
    Rooting allows you to do some things not enabled or purposely disabled by carriers or manufacturers. I like my Android as plain as possible, so that's why I have my Evo rooted running CyanogenMod6. Even better by rooting the phone and using a custom ROM I was able to the wiimote app to work while playing PlayStation or GBA or SNES, break the 30 fps cap put in place by HTC, wifi tethering for my MacBook, and controlling my processor via SetCPU for over/underclocking.

You don't have to root if you don't want but it simply gives you the capabilities to do much more with the device.
    08-29-10 10:27 AM
    I rooted my captivate so I could install a lag fix. That is the only reason. Had the phone for a week, all was well, then I started to notice moderate to heavy lag with certain apps. I rooted and did the lag fix and all is well now!
    08-29-10 11:54 AM
    I prefer to be rooted, it extends my freedom with my device. But, it is totally fine if someone doesn't want to. Most f my friends with Android devices (Incredibles) don't even know what rooting is.
    08-29-10 12:43 PM
    I rooted simply out of sheer boredom / curiosity. Stock/unrooted incredible ran like a dream, I just like to tinker.

This isn't like BB where many people feel compelled to install a leak or hybrid because they feel the stock phone is not very good. Your phone running great isn't an argument NOT to root. Also, rooting doesn't mean you immediately are supposed to install a custom ROM or kernel.

Think of rooting as having admin rights to your phone. That's it.
    People that have BB mostly are installing leaks out of curiosity not because their phone is running poorly? At least until os6 comes out. My BB runs perfectly without having to spend days and days of tinkering? just sayn
    08-29-10 02:48 PM
    Okay I thought I was insane and the only Android user who didn't want to do it. I did install Launcher Pro though so if I want a change from the Touchwiz (which for the record I really, really like) I can just swap over to Launcher Pro for a while. I didn't need to root to use it either so that was a nice plus lol.

I really do love this phone. I have never been this satisfied with a phone from the get go, although the Pre was close. I was frustrated with all my Berries from the moment I turned them on and had to run Shrink-an-OS just to even remotely get it to run properly.

Maybe one day in the future I'll root but at this point, I really don't want to change anything about this phone.
    08-29-10 03:16 PM
    I rooted last night. It was painless. Now I have wireless tether on my incredible. I'll probably install 2.2 tonight after work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-10 03:17 PM
    Okay I thought I was insane and the only Android user who didn't want to do it. I did install Launcher Pro though so if I want a change from the Touchwiz (which for the record I really, really like) I can just swap over to Launcher Pro for a while. I didn't need to root to use it either so that was a nice plus lol.

I really do love this phone. I have never been this satisfied with a phone from the get go, although the Pre was close. I was frustrated with all my Berries from the moment I turned them on and had to run Shrink-an-OS just to even remotely get it to run properly.

Maybe one day in the future I'll root but at this point, I really don't want to change anything about this phone.
    I feel ya. It's not for everyone.
    08-29-10 03:23 PM
    People that have BB mostly are installing leaks out of curiosity not because their phone is running poorly? At least until os6 comes out. My BB runs perfectly without having to spend days and days of tinkering? just sayn
    I'm sure that's the case, but again, I didn't say everybody installs leaks for performance improvements, I said many people.

Then again, in 2009 in the Storm 1 forums prior to 5.0, I could have said everybody...and I'd be right.
    08-29-10 03:25 PM
    I'm sure that's the case, but again, I didn't say everybody installs leaks for performance improvements, I said many people.

Then again, in 2009 in the Storm 1 forums prior to 5.0, I could have said everybody...and I'd be right.
    I use to install leaks all the time for performance upgrades. Always on the hunt for the OS that had the smallest memory leaks.
    08-29-10 03:36 PM
    Rooting both my Motorola and HTC were seemingly easy and it didn't modify anything of the system, flashing custom ROMs and such is what modifies. I've been finding quite a few apps on appbrain/market that requires root, so it gave me more reasons to go rooted, I got sick of having to connect my phone to the PC just to take freaking screenshots so now I can just shake my phone and click it goes then email or post it on photobucket. Like already said, several reasons to go root, even if you don't want to modify your system at all.
    08-29-10 04:03 PM

Sorry but you would have been wrong because I never put a leak or hybrid on my Storm 1. Never saw the need to put any on there.

It use to crack me up when a new leak came out and everyone was fiending over it, even though they claimed the last leak was "THE GREATEST" they still put that new one on.

It was like they was all on drugs and chasing that high lmao. It was crazy.

It was to each his own. Just like with this rooting stuff.
    08-29-10 04:46 PM
    If you root, don't mess with the bootloader.
    I did that on my Moto Droid, and it can't go into recovery mode now.
    But then I got a BB again and I'm happy.
    :P
    08-29-10 05:17 PM
    Oh naw I'm not rooting.
    08-29-10 05:32 PM
    I never put a leak or hybrid on my Storm 1. Never saw the need to put any on there.
    So you believed your S1 experience was everything you hoped it would be right out of the box?

I'm envious. Seriously.
    08-29-10 07:35 PM
    So you believed your S1 experience was everything you hoped it would be right out of the box?

I'm envious. Seriously.
    I didn't buy the Storm when it first came out. I checked it out, didn't like it, held out. I held until after it got it's first officially OS upgrade. So I got it in Feb. '09 and it lasted me until last month when at Six Flags my phone fell out of my pocket and broke. I was hurt.

That last drop was number 17. I guess one too many drops lol. But I never had any problems with my Storm.

Everyone has a different story about their Storm. Mine was all good.

So to answer your question........Yes my Storm 1 experience was everything I thought it would be out of the box.

I'm sorry if yours and others experience with the Storm was bad, but I appreciate your envy......Seriously.
    08-29-10 08:02 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD