Can someone tell me why RIM has to wait to introduce LTE phones? The system is set at Verizon, so the specs should be known AND the LTE phones will work on the current 3G network; so why spend money to "Refresh" your line of phones? Why not just wait a couple months and come out with the next generation BBs, with a faster processor, more memory, BB6, AND LTE? That way the current S1 & S2 owners can have a real upgrade path rather than refresh first and then LTE a few months later? It just seems to make more business sense than upsetting a bunch of people with Refresh models now and then 3 months later coming out with LTE models? Just asking...
    08-28-10 08:39 AM
    RIM is not upsetting anyone by releasing refreshes...

The main purpose for these refresh phones are to attract people who dont already own a blackberry. I am pretty sure RIM knows most users will not upgrade their current phone if they have the previous gen phones like the Storm2. Its not costing RIM any money to upgrade the hardware already in existing phones since nothing has changed but memory and maybe the processor which pretty much just "snap" into place. The Form factor is the exact same.

Why wait? because if they dont then you will have a disaster like the Storm 1. Do you want that again? Im assuming you are going to say no...
    08-28-10 09:22 AM

The main purpose for these refresh phones are to attract people who dont already own a blackberry. I am pretty sure RIM knows most users will not upgrade their current phone if they have the previous gen phones like the Storm2. Its not costing RIM any money to upgrade the hardware already in existing phones since nothing has changed but memory and maybe the processor which pretty much just "snap" into place. The Form factor is the exact same.

Why wait? because if they dont then you will have a disaster like the Storm 1. Do you want that again? Im assuming you are going to say no...
    Sorry, but I disagree - haven't you read the other postings in the Storm forum? People are ticked off their Storm2 will not run BB6 and they don't want to use their NE2 to purchase a Refresh model.

How can you say it won't cost RIM to upgrade a phone? More memory, better camera, possibly a faster processor - all of that costs them more money, especially if they are going to "Refresh" again a few months with a LTE model; why not just wait and do it then? And I am not sure why there would be another "Storm1 disaster," just because they came out with a new model?
    08-28-10 09:32 AM
    what exactly is LTE...........been seeing it alot in the forums but no one has explained what it is
    08-28-10 09:46 AM
    I think its all business practice based. Profitiability wise I'm sure it makes more sense to clear out existing processors/chip sets and screens/keyboards with a refresh than completely develop a brand new platform with completely new hardware.

My prediction is that next year we will see some form of 4G Berry... Poss the Storm 3/4? Than everyone that cries on here will finally see their blessed 1gz or faster processor. I think its still a bit early for them to push LTE, some areas of the world (like my province) are only seeing 3G/3G+ HSPA now!!!

I think it all comes down to numbers, and RIM is just doing what makes the most sense business wise. I'm sure the crazy 4G super fast major memory Berry is coming... just not yet.
    08-28-10 10:00 AM
    what exactly is LTE...........been seeing it alot in the forums but no one has explained what it is
    I am not expert (and I'm sure I will be corrected) but it stands for Long Term Evolution, and is basically the next step up from 3G. It has wider and faster band technology. Verizon has it up in several markets and is expected to switch over to that format in 2011. Current 3G phones will NOT be able to take advantage of it, however, if you get a LTE phone, it will work on BOTH 3G and LTE.
    08-28-10 12:15 PM

Okay I'm sorry but this post is absolutely wrong. There are plenty of people within this community that are pissed at what RIM keeps doing. I would also have to say that the Storm line is where people are most upset with these refreshes. Especially since the Storm line, is their consumer phone and has not saw a leak of a new phone in over a year, when we finally did, after all the talk of the next one being a huge upgrade, it turns out to be another stinkn refresh.

Secondly, these refreshes are not attracting ANY new customer. Why would they, it's basically the same device, and the S1 had terrible reviews and the S2 wasn't much better. So why the **** would a new customer purchase a refresh of a ****ty phone. Doesn't make much sense now does it??

Why wait?? Hmmm....Rim better stop playing the waiting game cause the longer RIM waits on releasing a majorly upgraded Storm, the more they lose market share as HTC, Motorola, and maybe even Apple(if or when it comes to Verizon) gain market share and leave RIM in the dust. But hey we got a refresh of the same phone with more memory, a better camera and a still ****ty non-innovative OS, I'm sure everyone in these forums is completely happy with that...
    08-28-10 03:38 PM
    Can someone tell me why RIM has to wait to introduce LTE phones? The system is set at Verizon, so the specs should be known AND the LTE phones will work on the current 3G network; so why spend money to "Refresh" your line of phones? Why not just wait a couple months and come out with the next generation BBs, with a faster processor, more memory, BB6, AND LTE? That way the current S1 & S2 owners can have a real upgrade path rather than refresh first and then LTE a few months later? It just seems to make more business sense than upsetting a bunch of people with Refresh models now and then 3 months later coming out with LTE models? Just asking...
    Totally agree with your statement.
    08-29-10 12:27 AM
    Sorry, but I disagree - haven't you read the other postings in the Storm forum? People are ticked off their Storm2 will not run BB6 and they don't want to use their NE2 to purchase a Refresh model.

How can you say it won't cost RIM to upgrade a phone? More memory, better camera, possibly a faster processor - all of that costs them more money, especially if they are going to "Refresh" again a few months with a LTE model; why not just wait and do it then? And I am not sure why there would be another "Storm1 disaster," just because they came out with a new model?

Whats it matter that people complain about the Storm2 not running BB6. People complain about everything. Some people want all the latest gizmo's and gadgets but at the same time they have no fking clue how to it properly. Is that RIMS fault too? What i meant about a refresh not costing RIM anything is that they will just take a profit hit thats all. New memory, camera etc will essentially cost less or the same as when the Storm 2 came out with the same components. For example: Intel releases processors every so often right?, the top of the line "extreme" editions model of their latest CPU's are always $999USD every time. Do catch my drift? Of course there could be another disaster. You hype up a phone enough and then at launch there is big problems then what will happen? A "Storm1 disaster"....
    08-29-10 02:26 AM
    Okay I'm sorry but this post is absolutely wrong. There are plenty of people within this community that are pissed at what RIM keeps doing. I would also have to say that the Storm line is where people are most upset with these refreshes. Especially since the Storm line, is their consumer phone and has not saw a leak of a new phone in over a year, when we finally did, after all the talk of the next one being a huge upgrade, it turns out to be another stinkn refresh.

Secondly, these refreshes are not attracting ANY new customer. Why would they, it's basically the same device, and the S1 had terrible reviews and the S2 wasn't much better. So why the **** would a new customer purchase a refresh of a ****ty phone. Doesn't make much sense now does it??

Why wait?? Hmmm....Rim better stop playing the waiting game cause the longer RIM waits on releasing a majorly upgraded Storm, the more they lose market share as HTC, Motorola, and maybe even Apple(if or when it comes to Verizon) gain market share and leave RIM in the dust. But hey we got a refresh of the same phone with more memory, a better camera and a still ****ty non-innovative OS, I'm sure everyone in these forums is completely happy with that...

So you're saying people are mad because RIM is releasing a upgraded model of their previous generation phones?
    08-29-10 02:30 AM
    My take is that RIM f'd up their hardware and software roadmap and are now caught. They have a 4G storm ready for 4th quarter but VZW isn't clearing handsets until 2011 after CTIA. This is because VZW is still working out some of the features and apps they want on 4G phones. And now RIM has OS6 out and needs more devices that can run it well in market. So they are going to crank out updates to the Storm and Bold using all the hardware they have in house and have something else running OS6 available.

I think we will start seeing next gen stuff from RIM with the QNX kernel/OS next year. Starting with the tablet this year and then the S3/4 early next year.

If they had just dropped 512 in the S2 and 256 in the S1 when they built them we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.comd
    08-29-10 10:47 AM
    If they had just dropped 512 in the S2 and 256 in the S1 when they built them we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    +1, I agree 100%. Easily the greatest shortcoming of both Storms is their inadequate application memory (especially so on the S1, where a FULL version of OS5 with all the bells and whistles barely leaves you 15-20MB)
    08-29-10 12:04 PM
    Kinda makes me glad that Telus and Bell are skipping the Storm and just carrying the Torch for now.

But yeah, RIM should've seen the writing on the wall and put at least 256mb in the S1.
    08-29-10 04:57 PM
    Kinda makes me glad that Telus and Bell are skipping the Storm and just carrying the Torch for now.

But yeah, RIM should've seen the writing on the wall and put at least 256mb in the S1.
    Bro, the torch aunt nothing to right home about. Lots of lag. And in this case I think it is more hardware related. Maybe by build 800 of BB6 sometime in 2012 it will run better.

I am bou buying another product from RIM until that next gen QNX OS. And by then I will be on android most likely.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-10 05:11 PM
    Bro, the torch aunt nothing to right home about. Lots of lag. And in this case I think it is more hardware related. Maybe by build 800 of BB6 sometime in 2012 it will run better.

I am bou buying another product from RIM until that next gen QNX OS. And by then I will be on android most likely.

As opposed to my S1, or waiting for the S3 which is just a BB6 stopgap until the S4 can be released?
    08-29-10 08:54 PM
    So you're saying people are mad because RIM is releasing a upgraded model of their previous generation phones?
    no, people are mad because the Storm 2 was a year late and now a refresh of a year late device does not compete with the devices on the market today. People dont want 512mb of RAM! And when you have an already loaded 256 in your Storm 2, that only gives you another 256 to work with. People dont want the same resolution at the same price as an iphone or Droid! People dont want a processor less than 1ghz because people know 1ghz is pretty much the standard and people who use BBs know that things get bogged down and slow in the devices verses droids and the liquid smooth iphone 4g. Makes sense?
    08-29-10 11:19 PM
    I just read that LTE will be backwards compatible with some 3g phones out now.
    08-29-10 11:58 PM
    As opposed to my S1, or waiting for the S3 which is just a BB6 stopgap until the S4 can be released?
    I guess all I mean is don't burn an upgrade. unless you then want to sell that torch and go S4 when that drops. I am just sick of waiting myself. If we don't see news of the S3 running a QNX OS at Dev Con at the end of September then my upgrade in October won't be a BB. I could possibly wait until January or February as my wife wants an iPhone of it come to VZW so we both may good off until next year. But otherwise a Droid X running Froyo or the fascinate would be just fine. I can go LTE when the next gen 4G stuff comes out. Maybe Storm 5?

08-30-10 06:34 AM
    I just read that LTE will be backwards compatible with some 3g phones out now.
    That's not correct. Some one probably misconstrued that the 4G phones will be backward compatible with the 3G network. LTE access requires a different radio design as well as specific chip sets from qual comm. I don't know of anything in market that has either. However the LTE chips from Qualcomm pretty much support every other network you've heard of. So a 4g device will be highly portable to other networks. At least they should be.

08-30-10 06:39 AM
    Tether.
    End of story.

08-30-10 07:02 AM
    I agree that RIM should just make the jump ahead of everybody and release LTE phones by the drove. Will that happen? No way. RIM wants to capitalize on the holiday sales push and sell the 3G stock they have then jump the LTE and have a LTE driven sales push.

On another note. The way I see it is that the main complaint with RIM is hardware. I see where they broke down the cost of the Torch piece by piece. I wonder how much extra $ they would have to put in the Torch to make it complete with the top of the line Droid.

I can gaurantee if they would just pass that extra cost onto the consumer we would all gladly pay it. If I am already paying $200 for a phone id add another $25 (or whatever I'm no expert) to double the memory in my phone. It is very frusterating at times.
    08-30-10 09:40 AM
    Wasn't RIM one of the last major device companies to release a 3G capable device? I'm guessing they are going to be slow moving to 4G also. I just hope they have something out by March 2011 because I'm upgrading then and I will get whatever LTE phone is out at that time.
    08-30-10 10:29 AM
    Whats it matter that people complain about the Storm2 not running BB6. People complain about everything. Some people want all the latest gizmo's and gadgets but at the same time they have no fking clue how to it properly. Is that RIMS fault too? What i meant about a refresh not costing RIM anything is that they will just take a profit hit thats all. New memory, camera etc will essentially cost less or the same as when the Storm 2 came out with the same components. For example: Intel releases processors every so often right?, the top of the line "extreme" editions model of their latest CPU's are always $999USD every time. Do catch my drift? Of course there could be another disaster. You hype up a phone enough and then at launch there is big problems then what will happen? A "Storm1 disaster"....
    This is all well and good, but the problem is that RIM hasn't made any steps up in performance for at least a few years. All of their handsets seem to be the same basic processor performance as the original Bold 9000 with just more App Memory. Sure there have been chipset upgrades, but the performance hike has been negligible. I mean, ffs, the Torch is basically a 9700 with a touch screen and 512 MB of App Memory.

On the flipside, Apple, and Android devices have all seen significant performance increases in the same time span.

I do like my Storm 2, but my NE2 is coming up right about when VZW is rumored to release LTE, so if RIM doesn't have anything particularly intriguing coming up, I'm gonna look long and hard at Android and Windows Phone 7.
    08-30-10 01:28 PM
    This is all well and good, but the problem is that RIM hasn't made any steps up in performance for at least a few years. All of their handsets seem to be the same basic processor performance as the original Bold 9000 with just more App Memory. Sure there have been chipset upgrades, but the performance hike has been negligible. I mean, ffs, the Torch is basically a 9700 with a touch screen and 512 MB of App Memory.

On the flipside, Apple, and Android devices have all seen significant performance increases in the same time span.

I do like my Storm 2, but my NE2 is coming up right about when VZW is rumored to release LTE, so if RIM doesn't have anything particularly intriguing coming up, I'm gonna look long and hard at Android and Windows Phone 7.
    That is very true. They prett much ran the same chip in the Bold, Bold 9700, Torch, and rumored 9780. Same thing for S1, S2, Tour, Bold 9650 and rumored 9570. So its like they just built a hardware platform and just churned out devices by changing up form factor and other ancillaries.
    Be interesting to see what they do now.

08-30-10 02:48 PM
    Why is it taking RIM to release a new phone? Easy: they are broke. Haven't u seen RIM stock, it steadily plummeting down.

08-30-10 03:22 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD