Remove some of the applications that appear in the switch application menu? (the menu that pops up when I hold down the Blackberry button)

For instance Blackberry Messenger is on there and I never even initialized it on my BB. Visual Voice Mail I'm not signed up for at all. The call log I can bring up by simply hitting the green button. I don't need any of these things in my switch app menu.

What would be even better is can I somehow delete BB Messenger and Visual Voice Apps completely from my BB? If not I will settle for somehow removing them from my switch app menu.

Also, Ive noticed that when I don't completely back out of the options menu theoptions icon will appear on my switch app menu. Does this mean that anything that shows up on my switch app menu is actually running in the background? I hope not!
    08-27-10 11:14 PM
    You can remove these apps using AppLoader.
    08-27-10 11:18 PM
    Let me be clear: You can remove them from your blackberry using apploader, or through Desktop Manager. Plug in your phone to your computer, fire up DM and, depending on which version you're using, find where you can add apps.

Alternatively, navigate to C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research in Motion/Apploader (I may be mistaken, I'm trying to remember that off the top of my head). Fire up apploader.exe (or loader.exe) and when it gets to the selection screen, untick VVM and BBM. Though, I have to ask -- I understand not wanting to use VVM, but why BBM?
    08-27-10 11:20 PM
    Yes. Anything that shows is running as well. If I don't close out of certain apps completely, they will stay running. Holding the menu button down is a good way for me to check to make sure I closed everything.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-10 11:21 PM
    I just dont need the BBM, thats all. I use Yahoo Messenger, and most people I know use it as well. Most of them aren't fortunate enough to own a Blackberry, or they own one of those amazingly and incredibly over rated devices known as Iphones You know, the device that's nearly impossible to type on

Anyways, I will try your suggestion tx alot.

Oh and as far as apps running in the background..How would my BB Messenger or VVM be running in the background when I never even initialized them? Not that Im doubting you, just curious...
    08-27-10 11:33 PM
    Both BBM and VVM are listed as required and not removable when I go through Desktop Manager. When I go directly through the App Loader they are both greyed out, unremovable. Bummer...
    08-28-10 12:04 AM
    I am way less than thrilled that I cant remove BBM. So I have a program that I have zero use for that always runs in the background, awesome! I figured maybe if I initialized the thing, then I could sign out and it would no longer be running in the background. WRONG! Signing out of BBM is not an option! I knew there was a reason why I hated that damn app. LOL
    08-28-10 12:18 AM
    When I used Shrink A Os, BBM was removed from my phone (even though I dont remember checking it to be removed) and I had to goto BB app world and reinstall it. Maybe give that a try.
    08-28-10 12:54 AM
    You can remove BBM by downloading it again from BB App World and then deleting the application directly from your phone. I haven't found a work around for VVM.

Downloading BBM from App World changes it from a "Core" app to just an app. You can't delete core apps from your phone.

Hope this helps.

08-28-10 06:34 AM
    Both BBM and VVM are listed as required and not removable when I go through Desktop Manager. When I go directly through the App Loader they are both greyed out, unremovable. Bummer...
    You should be able to delete BBM from Core Apps in the application list. To get rid of VVM, use Shrink-A-OS.
    08-28-10 10:54 AM
    You should be able to delete BBM from Core Apps in the application list. To get rid of VVM, use Shrink-A-OS.
    Yes, I feel like I should be able to also, but I cant. As I said when going through DM it says its required and you cant click on it at all. When I go straight through the apploader its greyed out and unclickable. When I go into the apps list within the BB and go to the menu delete is not an option.

I definitely agree that it "should" be an option. But it simply isnt.

I will try some of the other suggestions provided in a bit here. Tx for the tips guys.
    Last edited by guffy111; 08-28-10 at 11:00 AM.
    08-28-10 10:57 AM
    Well I succeeded in removing VVM by using ShrinkAOS. It will not delete BBM though. It will let me check BBM to delete it, but when the process is complete BBM is still there.

I guess I will try the suggestion of reinstalling BBM via App World and then hopefully it wont be a core app any longer and I can delete it.
    08-29-10 02:59 PM
    The suggestion above about updating BBM via the RIM mobile website or AppWorld will allow you to remove BBM.

08-29-10 03:16 PM
    The suggestion above about updating BBM via the RIM mobile website or AppWorld will allow you to remove BBM.

Yay! That did work. Thanks for the help everyone
    08-29-10 03:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD