Alright, I was able to fix my mystery e-mail problems. But now I am having a new mystery problem - my Captivate shuts down when on standby after 5-10 mins.

Started happening yesterday with 2 random shutdowns, but today it's ridiculous when I have to turn the phone on every 5 mins. Has anyone else experience similar issues? I did a forum search but haven't found any threads on this issue.

Help? I have to go to AT&T store, but I guess I will be spending my Sat morning there yet again....
    08-27-10 01:14 PM
    I'm not sure what could be causing this. It may be a rogue app or a glitch in the software. Have you tried a factory reset? You can also try reflashing the software, but I don't know how comfortable you would be with doing that.
    08-27-10 01:24 PM
    I'm not sure what could be causing this. It may be a rogue app or a glitch in the software. Have you tried a factory reset? You can also try reflashing the software, but I don't know how comfortable you would be with doing that.
    I don't have any applications running at the moment. And the shut down only happens at standby. Interesting fact: shut downs do not happen if USB is plugged in...

I would do factory reset, but I would rather let AT&T reps mess with the phone.
    08-27-10 01:28 PM
    I don't have any applications running at the moment. And the shut down only happens at standby. Interesting fact: shut downs do not happen if USB is plugged in...

I would do factory reset, but I would rather let AT&T reps mess with the phone.
    Yea that's really weird. Yea just let AT&T mess with the phone if you don't feel comfortable. At least if they screw it up it's on them (although it is pretty impossible to mess up a factory reset).
    08-27-10 01:37 PM
    On another note: my phone used to get extremely hot when plugged in, but now it doesn't do that anymore. Maybe something got fried?

And I just started loving it again after e-mail started working....
    08-27-10 01:46 PM
    My wife and I have the random shutdown issue with the Captivate as well. We've only had our phones for about a week. I personally don't think it's software related (i.e. rogue apps from the Market) because I've read in other forums about people experiencing this with stock phones. One good theory is a bug in the power management software that causes the phone to shutdown when in sleep mode. If it is a bug in this feature, then we'll have to wait for a fix. If it's hardware related (i.e. bad batch of memory, defective circuitry, etc.), then you'll have to get a replacement. Here are some links to those threads that may help you out:

Samsung Captivate/vibrant users: are you planning on returning your phone? - AnandTech Forums

Samsung Captivate turns off by itself!?

Re: Captivate random shut downs - AT&T Wireless Community

Random Shutdowns - Samsung Captivate Forum

Captivate issue. Random shutdowns.

Samsung Captivate Shutdown Issue - AT&T Wireless Community

There seems to be a lot of people having this issue, yet the problem hasn't been remedied yet. Most people are just getting replacement phones, but I've come across a few threads where some people are on their 2nd or 3rd replacements because of this issue. It's really annoying because I really like the phone.

Good luck and if you come across a solution, please let me know.
    Last edited by kpeng721; 08-27-10 at 01:56 PM.
    08-27-10 01:54 PM
    Awesome source links kpeng721. Thank you!
    08-27-10 02:12 PM
    this is a known issue with most captivate owners over at androidforums.com etc.. u can maybe swap for another captivate but other user have done that, and still gettting random shut downs... after i unlocked my phone i didn't get a random shut down yet lolz
    08-27-10 02:13 PM
    this is a known issue with most captivate owners over at androidforums.com etc.. u can maybe swap for another captivate but other user have done that, and still gettting random shut downs... after i unlocked my phone i didn't get a random shut down yet lolz
    So are you saying that you were experiencing the random shutdown on your Captivate as well, but after unlocking it the shutdown issue just went away?
    08-27-10 02:39 PM
    So are you saying that you were experiencing the random shutdown on your Captivate as well, but after unlocking it the shutdown issue just went away?
    it's been 5days since the unlock, no shut downs yet... before the unlock i was getting 1 shut down every day, still waiting to see if it does it again....
    08-27-10 02:44 PM
    Wow this is really interesting. If the unlock fixes it, that is great. Hopefully Samsung pushes out an update because it sounds like something is wrong on the software side.
    08-27-10 02:47 PM
    It certainly isn't an across the board issue. The only time I would have issues was with messing with the kernel and flashing new ROM's. If it is shutting down like that you would be best off getting another replacement. That is if you want to stick with the Galaxy after your many issues. It really is a great phone, just being finicky with 2.1.
    08-27-10 09:53 PM
    i was having this problem but i narrowed it down to setcpu causing it. i was setting my clock speeds too low when the screen was off and the powersave mode was preventing my phone from waking up. i changed my settings and it hasnt randomly shut down since.
    08-28-10 03:05 AM
    so on day 6 it shut off on me, coming out of the bar and i was going to make a call and the phone was off... oh well, it's working fine today lolz
    08-29-10 04:26 PM
    Well, reset was done but it didn't fix the issue so I sent the phone back. They are sending a new one. Let's see how this one goes. Especially interesting to see if e-mail problems repeat themselves along with shutdowns. I might just have to hunt for another phone
    09-08-10 10:02 AM
    Well, reset was done but it didn't fix the issue so I sent the phone back. They are sending a new one. Let's see how this one goes. Especially interesting to see if e-mail problems repeat themselves along with shutdowns. I might just have to hunt for another phone
    yeah i would have just returned it. wouldnt wanna be stuck with a bunk phone.
    09-08-10 10:46 AM
    No software fixes from Samsung or AT&T yet, thats B$
    09-08-10 12:13 PM
    No software fixes from Samsung or AT&T yet, thats B$
    Maybe the haven't figured out the issue.
    09-08-10 02:00 PM
    i was having this problem but i narrowed it down to setcpu causing it. i was setting my clock speeds too low when the screen was off and the powersave mode was preventing my phone from waking up. i changed my settings and it hasnt randomly shut down since.
    Hey CaChooka, can you outline the method to reset the clock speed? I just got mine and I'm having the issue of it shutting down as well. Actually woke up late for work this morning because it was turned off and the alarm didn't go off!
    09-13-10 02:57 PM
    Ok, I got my new phone, had it activated last night. It shut off during the night. But it hasn't done so after I disabled Power Saving mode. (Settings > Sound & Display > Power Saving Mode) and set my Screen Time Out (Settings > Sound & Display > Screen Time Out) to 30 sec, instead of 15 sec default.

Even though Power Saving Mode, from the description of it, has nothing to do with actual standby, the setting itself does have something to do with display and image analyzing.

So far so good (since 6.30am). I will post again in this thread if any changes.

If this doesn't work we will keep trying. I wish I knew an Android OS expert...
    09-13-10 04:07 PM
    I have had my phone for 3 days. Yesterday I let it drain to about 8 percent. I plugged it into my car charger and it fully charged. By the time i walked back into the house at 12:30 it had shut down. Then at 3:30 this morning when I woke up it had shut down again. I plugged it into my wall charger and within 2 minutes of disconnecting it it had shut down again. I turned my power saving mode off and it is has not shut down since 4:20 it is now 5:12. I just reconnected it to the wall charger to see if it would shut down when I disconnect it. Hopefully the power save mode thing was the trick!

UPDATE: Power save mode did not fix the problem it just shut down again. UGH!!
    Last edited by abbyl6497; 09-14-10 at 04:22 AM.
    09-14-10 04:14 AM
    Did you do the Screen Time Out too? My phone hasn't shut down since yesterday. It is also my second phone. If you are still within 30 days, get a new phone if it keeps shutting down. No one seems to know what the issue is, some say hardware, other say software/OS. The trick seems to work for my phone (knock on wood).
    09-14-10 08:47 AM
    I have actually pinpointed mine down to charging it is what the problem is. I charged it and unplugged it and within 2 to 5 minutes it shut down that was early this morning. I turned it back on and I have not charged it and it's fine. I'm going in today to get a new phone so hopefully that does the trick.
    09-14-10 10:24 AM
    That sounds like a nightmare. Personally, I would return the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-10 11:10 AM
    12:10pm - first random shutdown...

I wish I could return the phone, but I really like it and AT&T doesn't have any other phones like this. Plus, the CS keeps trying to take away my unlimited plan. I have already switched it back 4 times, and the last time I had to argue with the CS Supervisor...
    09-14-10 11:32 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD