This is my first post, so forgive me if I make any faux pas in this post.

Anyway, this is my 3rd Blackberry. I use it for work, but since the invention of Facebook and Gmail, I use those too.

I love the Torch for what it is supposed to do, and some of the things it can do, but I am really wishing I had delayed my purchase for the following reasons. Anyone else have these problems or know fixes?

(note - I am on OS 6.0 bundle 278)

1 - My corporate calendar and contact management system doesn't work on the new BB OS. I know this is not BB or AT&T's fault, but I never thought of this issue. Very frustrating. No idea when Ameriprise corporate technology will fix this. They stopped returning my calls.

2 - Texting does not work. Again, I believe this has something to do with Ameriprise filtering not working on this OS yet. But, frustrating!

3 - Can't stand all the panes, and not being able to lock on the "Favorites" pane.

4 - I put things in the "Favorites" pane and then they disappear. I have to
    "remove" as a favorite and then re-add. This is happening randomly every few days.

5 - AT&T AppCenter does not work. When I click it, I get a message "Unable to Connect to Server. Retry?" I have taken out the battery several times, nothing fixes it.

6 - No themes.

7 - Can't figure out how to get ringtones.

8 - Keyboard shortcuts don't work. For example, pressing R on a webpage does not refresh.

9 - The lock screen is an ugly clock. No choice to change it.

10 - Its slippery to slide the keyboard open. Maybe a case will help?

11 - The little notification bar at the top is not updating correctly. It just keeps upping the number for new messages, but not updating when I read, file or delete them.

12 - In the little notification bar at the top, there's a blue bubble (to the right of the yellow email envelope) and a number 1. What is this trying to tell me?

Thanks for letting me vent!
    08-26-10 01:35 PM
    It's only been out 2 weeks. Take it back.
    08-26-10 01:46 PM
    sell it to someone in canada .. everyone here is dieing to get their hands on one!
    08-26-10 02:00 PM
    The problem with returning it is that I switched from Verizon to AT&T in order to get the Torch. So, I can't go back to my old Blackberry. I'd have to buy a different Blackberry on AT&T and be stuck with a new 2-year contract and not able to get the Torch until much later.
    08-26-10 02:02 PM
    It sounds like most of your issues are related to your corporation not being prepared to support OS 6.0.

4 & 11: A battery pull may help resolve these issues. If not, it's probably the Ameriprise "thing."

6: Theme Builder is not yet available for OS 6.0. It should be available after the Developer's conference next month, then the flood of theme creation can begin.

7: Don't know why this is a problem for you. How did you get them on your previous BlackBerrys, which isn't working now?

12: BBM message, perhaps?
    08-26-10 02:03 PM
    Call VZ if you still have your old bberry. I know with at&t if you come back within 60 days of canceling your service no ETF is assessed. Could it be that VZ has the same policy?
    08-26-10 02:06 PM
    weird, I'm having none of those issues. Makes me worry about how the device will function a few weeks from now on. Are these problems common?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-10 02:15 PM
    1 - My corporate calendar and contact management system doesn't work on the new BB OS. I know this is not BB or AT&T's fault, but I never thought of this issue. Very frustrating. No idea when Ameriprise corporate technology will fix this. They stopped returning my calls.

Not a Torch issue

2 - Texting does not work. Again, I believe this has something to do with Ameriprise filtering not working on this OS yet. But, frustrating!

Has not been an issue for me, but there is a known SMS bug.

3 - Can't stand all the panes, and not being able to lock on the "Favorites" pane.

I see changes being made to this from user comments.

"remove" as a favorite and then re-add. This is happening randomly every few days.

Bug, once again has not happened here.

5 - AT&T AppCenter does not work. When I click it, I get a message "Unable to Connect to Server. Retry?" I have taken out the battery several times, nothing fixes it.

AT&T AppCenter does not work, several threads about how buggy that is.

6 - No themes.

There will be, only been out two weeks.

Search the forums, you can.

8 - Keyboard shortcuts don't work. For example, pressing R on a webpage does not refresh.

Open browser.hit options.click Enable Keyboard Shortcuts.

I don't get this so I cannot comment.

Maybe, I don't find it slippery.

11 - The little notification bar at the top is not updating correctly. It just keeps upping the number for new messages, but not updating when I read, file or delete them.

Can't comment not happening here.

12 - In the little notification bar at the top, there's a blue bubble (to the right of the yellow email envelope) and a number 1. What is this trying to tell me?

That you have a Blackberry messenger message? Check your instant messenging folder.

You purchased a first run device, just like a first year car, there is gonna be some issues!
    Last edited by Najo; 08-26-10 at 02:27 PM.
    08-26-10 02:20 PM
    Najo - THANKS!

Open browser.hit options.click Enable Keyboard Shortcuts.

Thanks - it worked!!

I don't get this so I cannot comment.

What I mean is, when the device locks (and you have to re-enter your password), there's an analog clock. On my old BB, you could put a screensaver or something there.
    08-26-10 02:38 PM
    1 - I use BIS not BES, so I can not comment

2 - I'm coming from the 8350i, talk about texting not working. The Torch texting has worked flawlessly for me.

I agree, some of the panes are redundant. Personally, I just put my main favorites at the top of the all screen and shuffle the rest below those. Then, I minimize my bar completely, so when I do need it, it pulls up all 3.75 rows of icons to choose from. I hardly ever navigate to the other panes.

As mentioned above, I don't use the (redundant) favorites, so I can not comment.

I have not tried ATT Apps, but with BB Apps and CB Apps, who needs anything else

6 - No themes.

The phone is 2 weeks old, give people time to learn how to hack around and I'm sure they will be coming.

Quick lesson; plug your phone in, drag and drop music/sounds to your "music" folder on your card, or sync with your favorite media sync program, then you can choose any song/sound you like as your ring tone.

I don't use browser shortcuts, so I'll go with Najo on this one.

It would definitely be nice if you can change the bedside mode display. Maybe this will be coming as the phone ages and people learn hacks. Again, it's only 2 weeks old. However, I just want to be sure you're aware, you CAN change the clock to a digital clock

I agree with this partially. At first I had a hard time, I've since learned to use my thumb and some decent pressure on the side of the slider to slide it open. I've seen someone post that they actually place their thumb on the screen and push up. I just tried this and it works great... if you don't mind fingerprints. As you said a case might very well help.

This sounds like an issue with YOUR phone. I receive messages all day long and they clear with no issue.

I agree with Najo - Hold your BB Key until it brings up the running programs screen. You should see an icon that look like two conversation bubbles overlapping. Click that. It will open BB Messenger.

You purchased a first run device, just like a first year car, there is gonna be some issues! I agree with Najo. Not only is this a new model, it's the very first run of a new model. I bought one of the new body style Chevrolet pick ups when they first came out. It took me 3 montsh to get a spare key because no one around had the right blank yet. I didn't get upset, I just waited until the "accessories" caught up with my truck.
    08-26-10 03:28 PM
    About the texting issue -
    If you are now on AT&T, make sure they have turned the text feature on in your account. I've been with them for awhile now and have had unlimited data and text. However, when I switched phones, something happened and the text option was turned off by mistake. Just something simple that is worth checking.
    08-26-10 04:30 PM
    you can return the phone and go back to Verizon..
    AT&T allows you to try the phone and their network for 30 days..
    you can always say that there's low signal in your house or something..
    you might need to pay the re stocking fee of $35
    08-26-10 06:30 PM
    OK, I can't help but get frustrated that no one has helped you on #9. If I understand your question correctly, you're wondering how you change the clock while your phone is CHARGING? Not locked? If the phone is locked, the screen should be black.

Go to "Clock," "settings" and change all clocks to "digital." Better yet...to save battery, tell it do "do nothing" while charging.
    08-27-10 03:07 PM
    OK, I can't help but get frustrated that no one has helped you on #9. If I understand your question correctly, you're wondering how you change the clock while your phone is CHARGING? Not locked? If the phone is locked, the screen should be black.

Go to "Clock," "settings" and change all clocks to "digital." Better yet...to save battery, tell it do "do nothing" while charging.
    If you are frustrated then why didn't you answer earlier? There is nothing to be done about the look of the clock, other than change the numbers. So therefore, no good answer.
    08-27-10 03:15 PM
    tick tock! tick tock!
    08-27-10 04:28 PM
    Thank you crack friends! Here's an update:

1. Ameriprise technology said it will be months before they have the Pixus software built to support our calendar and database software for OS 6. Again, not a BB issue, but.might be a concern for others if they count on specific apps.

2. After 3 level of calls at AT&T, my testing works!! WooHoo!

3. I will be patient.

4. AT&T said they don't know what's wrong. They suggested I take it to a Service Center. I read another post that someone else was having the same issue. I had 7 favorites and now am down to 3. I've put them back several times and they just disappear again.

5. AT&T was able to fix. I was going to ask what CB apps is, but I've figured it out! :-)

6. I will be patient.

7. Still having problems, even though I think I know how to do it and I've got plenty of music on my BB, but it's not working. I will call AT&T AGAIN and see if they can fix since many of my problems seem to be with them.

8. Thanks Najo (above post)

9. I did figure out how to change the clock to a different clock, but it's not just there on the charging screen. After several minutes it times out and I have to reenter my password. This is part of our corporate security, but results in me seeing the ugly clock screen. I already have a watch. On my old BB I could customize the lock screen.

10. I am being patient until some "pretty" cases are for sale.

11. and 12. AT&T call center was able to confirm it was some kind of notification for text messages, but they are not updating to show I don't have new messages. They said to take to service center.

Now, I have 2 new problems. Gmail and WiFi music sync not working, but I will make a new post.

THANKS!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-10 05:51 PM
    Ringtones are so easy to make on your own. All you need is an audio clip and an audio file editor. There is software out there that makes creating them easy to do. I make all my ringtones and they're much better quality than the junk you pay for. That's the best part of creating your own. You control the quality and exactly what audio you want as a ringtone.
    Last edited by zwoof; 08-27-10 at 06:11 PM.
    08-27-10 06:06 PM
    If you are frustrated then why didn't you answer earlier? There is nothing to be done about the look of the clock, other than change the numbers. So therefore, no good answer.
    Then change it to no clock when charging... I think you can choose analog, digital, flip clock, LCD digital. If you dont want these go to options for clock and choose when charging: do nothing. Atleast thats what my 9000 has...
    08-27-10 08:59 PM
    It sounds like most of your issues are related to your corporation not being prepared to support OS 6.0.

4 & 11: A battery pull may help resolve these issues. If not, it's probably the Ameriprise "thing."

6: Theme Builder is not yet available for OS 6.0. It should be available after the Developer's conference next month, then the flood of theme creation can begin.

7: Don't know why this is a problem for you. How did you get them on your previous BlackBerrys, which isn't working now?

12: BBM message, perhaps?
    Still going through this thread since I've hit similar/same issues... #4 cracked me up... losing favorites.

If you pull the battery, the favorites will disappear - so your suggestion actually results in the problem :-)

I lose favorites when I pull the battery or I install a new app that forces a reset. But not all favorites... I never lose Contacts, Calendar, or Clock.

On to look through the rest of the thread...
    08-30-10 04:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD