I just downloaded & installed the "official" AT&T OS 5 for my Bold 9000 today. (5.0.0.822). I was trying to find a thread or two where someone summarizes the difference between it and OS 4.6 (4.6.0.517).

What I've observed:

(1) Faster performance in some places. Gmail starts up MUCH faster, and rebooting itself seems faster. Pictures also browse much faster.

(2) Threaded SMS, not as good as my old Palm Treo 650 and 680, but much better than the old version which was, for all practical purposes, not threaded at all

(3) Opera Mini 4.2 no longer runs (not even the "alternative" version which was introduced to run alongside Version 5) but Opera Mini 5.1 seems smoother

(4) Better looking fonts

(5) When customizing profiles, it periodically won't "sound out" the sounds for you to able to tell what you're changing them to

(6) Better looking fonts (or was it simply a change of defaults & the particulars could've been done before?)

Those are the changes I've noticed, but again, I'm wondering if there are some threads (I've searched) which detail what improvements, changes etc OS 5 brings to the Bold 9000.
    08-25-10 11:00 PM
    Thanks, I'm searching for the same thing. I'm running 4.6.0.304 and am curious what 5.0.0.822 brings to the party.
    08-25-10 11:12 PM
    .681 is better
    08-25-10 11:38 PM
    .681 is better
    How so? Please explain.
    08-26-10 12:27 AM
    How so? Please explain.
    sound glitch and aggressive mem leak on .822
    08-26-10 01:01 AM
    Even the at&t .822 release has this memory leak?
    08-26-10 01:36 AM
    That is odd. Since I upgraded from .681 to .822, I have had a decrease in memory leakage and now have greater battery life. Even after a battery pull, things look better. I definatly would not go back to .681.
    08-26-10 04:33 AM
    That is odd. Since I upgraded from .681 to .822, I have had a decrease in memory leakage and now have greater battery life. Even after a battery pull, things look better. I definatly would not go back to .681.
    Sorry for this last reply. I forgot to sign my wife out and sign myself in. I have been using .822 for a month now and am quite happy with it.
    08-26-10 05:06 AM
    So what do you guys like better about OS5 vs OS4? Is it much different?
    08-26-10 10:09 AM
    Hmm...let's see...

Pros:

* Under the Media folder, you can access Music, Voice Notes or Ringtones right away. A little more convenient.

* Picture browsing definitely faster.

* Another mode to choose from for loud/soft/silent/vibrate alerts. More support for apps like UberTwitter too.

* Better-looking fonts and buttons in your menus.

* Fullscreen operation with superimposed info bars for your still & video camera. Seems a bit smoother, too.

* Threaded SMS/MMS. Still getting used to it, but I'm getting to like it.

* Dunno if it was available with your previous OS, but...you can set your homescreen to a grid layout similar to the BB Torch. I'm not doing that, but if that's your cup of tea, now said tea is available!

* I don't have any worse of a memory leak problem than I did running the original OS 4.0 that AT&T put on there. (Yes, I waited until Ma Bell released 5.0.)

Cons:

* I lost the Yahoo! icon for my e-mail somehow. Now I've got a generic one. (Side note: am I a tool for still using Yahoo! e-mail?) (EDIT: Out of the blue the other day, the globe at the bottom of the envelope on the new E-mail icon was replaced with the Y! Yahoo icon. This pleases me more than it should.)

* It may depend on the resolution of the pic, but for those of us using the classic BB 9000 layout, there can be a shading bar behind all 6 icons at the bottom, instead of boxes around individual icons. That can look crappy with some wallpaper pics. (Minor gripe, but it's the first thing I noticed.) But with some hi-res wallpapers, the shading bar goes away, and the icons are all by their lonesome.

Overall, I can dig it. Recommend you get it if you plan on hanging onto your BB Bold 9000 for awhile yet. I'm sticking with mine until 2011 at least.
    Last edited by The Thrill; 08-27-10 at 01:07 PM.
    08-26-10 10:52 AM
    Hmm...let's see...

Pros:

* Under the Media folder, you can access Music, Voice Notes or Ringtones right away. A little more convenient.

* Picture browsing definitely faster.

* Another mode to choose from for loud/soft/silent/vibrate alerts. More support for apps like UberTwitter too.

* Better-looking fonts and buttons in your menus.

* Fullscreen operation with superimposed info bars for your still & video camera. Seems a bit smoother, too.

* Threaded SMS/MMS. Still getting used to it, but I'm getting to like it.

* Dunno if it was available with your previous OS, but...you can set your homescreen to a grid layout similar to the BB Torch. I'm not doing that, but if that's your cup of tea, now said tea is available!

* I don't have any worse of a memory leak problem than I did running the original OS 4.0 that AT&T put on there. (Yes, I waited until Ma Bell released 5.0.)

Cons:

* I lost the Yahoo! icon for my e-mail somehow. Now I've got a generic one. (Side note: am I a tool for still using Yahoo! e-mail?)

* It may depend on the resolution of the pic, but for those of us using the classic BB 9000 layout, there can be a shading bar behind all 6 icons at the bottom, instead of boxes around individual icons. That can look crappy with some wallpaper pics. (Minor gripe, but it's the first thing I noticed.) But with some hi-res wallpapers, the shading bar goes away, and the icons are all by their lonesome.

Overall, I can dig it. Recommend you get it if you plan on hanging onto your BB Bold 9000 for awhile yet. I'm sticking with mine until 2011 at least.
    Thanks! Very helpful. I'm trying to stick with my 9000 too. I'm hoping there will be a new version of this same form factor.
    08-26-10 11:25 AM
    I had to downgrade from .822 to .681 I kept having sound issues and every week or so I had to reload the OS because the trackball wouldn't respond nor would the keyboard other than the top row ( call, menu, esc.) numerous battery pulls wouldn't do anything. A wipe and reload fixed it but only temporary.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-10 11:43 AM
    I wish I didn't have to downgrade either because .822 ran a lot better on my phone other than the bugs. But I kept losing phone function when I needed it the most.

08-26-10 11:46 AM
    Was it a leaked version or from Rogers or at&t?
    I still am not clear if they are different or not.
    08-26-10 12:05 PM
    I just downloaded & installed the "official" AT&T OS 5 for my Bold 9000 today. (5.0.0.822). I was trying to find a thread or two where someone summarizes the difference between it and OS 4.6 (4.6.0.517).

What I've observed:

(1) Faster performance in some places. Gmail starts up MUCH faster, and rebooting itself seems faster. Pictures also browse much faster.

(2) Threaded SMS, not as good as my old Palm Treo 650 and 680, but much better than the old version which was, for all practical purposes, not threaded at all

(3) Opera Mini 4.2 no longer runs (not even the "alternative" version which was introduced to run alongside Version 5) but Opera Mini 5.1 seems smoother

(4) Better looking fonts

(5) When customizing profiles, it periodically won't "sound out" the sounds for you to able to tell what you're changing them to

(6) Better looking fonts (or was it simply a change of defaults & the particulars could've been done before?)

Those are the changes I've noticed, but again, I'm wondering if there are some threads (I've searched) which detail what improvements, changes etc OS 5 brings to the Bold 9000.
    Larry,
    Regarding #5. Mine does that too, but also after that happens none of my ringtones or message alerts work when someone tries to call/text me. I couldn't figure any other way to correct that beyond a battery pull (which is a lot faster at least )

Wondering if anyone else has this issue?
    08-26-10 01:33 PM
    Was it a leaked version or from Rogers or at&t?
    I still am not clear if they are different or not.
    I tried the leak and the official Hutchinson sp? I had the same problem with both. But, from what I understand, all .822 are exactly the same.

As far as the posts about the sound issue, it has been discussed lots since the leak. Many are having the sound issues with all .822 versions regardless of carrier seal of approval haha!

08-26-10 03:02 PM
    Larry,
    Regarding #5. Mine does that too, but also after that happens none of my ringtones or message alerts work when someone tries to call/text me. I couldn't figure any other way to correct that beyond a battery pull (which is a lot faster at least )

Wondering if anyone else has this issue?
    I have the exact same issue. didn't figure it out until my alarm didn't go off this morning. I just setup all my sounds then did a battery pull. so far that seems to be working.
    08-26-10 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD