3G vs EDGE on 9700 battery life
    I'm curious if other people have similar issues.

I would say I'm a typical blackberry user... I call, check mail, facebook a bit, play sudoku, twitter updates, bbm and I have my WLM on all the time.

I understand that 3G uses a bit more battery then EDGE but really, it can't be THAT much of a difference?

on 3G, after unplugging at 8am, my battery will go down to 40% by the time it's 11pm.

on EDGE, however, I get WAY better battery life... it only uses 20% of battery a day.

both have been use under the SAME condition. So, how can it be possible that on EDGE that I get a 6x improvement? a friend of mine have the same 9700 on telus on 3G only but gets 2 days on it. I also notice that my 3G sometimes drops to EDGE for a bit and I know that takes up a bit of battery.

But I dont understand why there's a HUGE battery consumption difference.

I am using Rogers 5.0.0.743 OS... I hope OS6 has good battery life... I suppose I should be glad that the battery last til bedtime...
    08-25-10 02:11 PM
    I have found that 3G uses no more power IF you have good reception or near full bars. If you have poor reception 3G will use more power than EDGE.

Facebook will kill your battery like any other 3rd party software that is constantly polling or "pulling" from the server. This is way RIM's "push" email is so great.
    08-25-10 02:17 PM
    I don't really notice any difference in battery life between my 8320 (EDGE) and 9700 (3G).
    08-25-10 02:23 PM
    I don't really notice any difference in battery life between my 8320 (EDGE) and 9700 (3G).
    Cos they use two different batteries. 8320 battery has less capacity

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-10 03:53 PM
    Personally I don't use the blackberry like you do at present, just emails and phone calls.

But used to previously, on 3g it can last me almost a week (if i'm lucky) but yes thats taking into account when it switchs to edge or gprs.

No area has constantly perfect reception! Then again depends where you live I suppose.

The battery lasts two days or so if I leave WLM running + the occasional browse via wi fi, I play bit of tetris. Have used facebook before and BBM but not any more.

But facebook does drain quite alot of battery as greggebhardt said its constantly:
    polling or "pulling" from the server.
    . Same with WLM.

I wont say whats happening is an 'issue' to be able to do that for 2 days and perhaps a quarter thats goes to show how good the battery life is.
    08-25-10 03:57 PM
    I have found that 3G uses no more power IF you have good reception or near full bars. If you have poor reception 3G will use more power than EDGE.

Facebook will kill your battery like any other 3rd party software that is constantly polling or "pulling" from the server. This is way RIM's "push" email is so great.
    3G has similar standby battery life to 2G, it's just when u use it, It consumes more power(calling, data usage etc).

I'm not an expert, but have heard that it's the 3G chip used in your phone draining the battery quickly. It happens to all 3G phones not just blackberry.

08-25-10 04:00 PM
    Personally I don't use the blackberry like you do at present, just emails and phone calls.

But used to previously, on 3g it can last me almost a week (if i'm lucky) but yes thats taking into account when it switchs to edge or gprs.

No area has constantly perfect reception! Then again depends where you live I suppose.

The battery lasts two days or so if I leave WLM running + the occasional browse via wi fi, I play bit of tetris. Have used facebook before and BBM but not any more.

But facebook does drain quite alot of battery as greggebhardt said its constantly:
    . Same with WLM.

I wont say whats happening is an 'issue' to be able to do that for 2 days and perhaps a quarter thats goes to show how good the battery life is.
    A week.....really?
    08-25-10 08:03 PM
    Never really noticed a difference...battery life was great on the 9700.
    08-25-10 08:50 PM
    A week.....really?
    My wife can get her bold to last close to a week. She just uses the phone and text. She keeps saying there's so much I want to learn about using my Blackberry, but she never does. Only been 2 months, so we'll see what happens.
    08-26-10 06:36 AM
    I'm on 3G and battery life for me is fine. There really is not much of a difference.

08-26-10 06:51 AM
    well, i do have facebook and messages do get pushed to my device... i had been using EDGE for a week and 3 or 4 days before i need a charge. I switched back to 3G yesterday and by bedtime, i was down to 25%...

i guess if i dont have wlm turned on 24/7 and disabled facebook, twitter push content then i would see improvement. that makes sense...

after reading your comments, you guys make me feel like a blackberry abuser! lol
    08-26-10 08:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD