I cant seem to remove the AT&T Address Book, and after hrs on the phone with AT&T and RIM seems no one knows how to?! I am pretty proficient with tinkering with Blackberry's but I don't see anywhere in the OS a way to revert the contact list to default and remove the AT&T Address Book completely from the phone.

This is really screwing up my back ups and contact list and I would appreciate some input from the true BB knowledge base on the web!

Thanks
    08-25-10 12:40 PM
    It's probably servicebook controlled. Delete the servicebook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-10 01:35 PM
    xandermac- Thanks for replying. I was thinking that but did not see anything that looked even close...
    08-25-10 01:43 PM
    When you run TaskManager, you can see the task running. Remove the COD files.i

08-25-10 02:58 PM
    shansmi-Hey- So the COD's I see look as if they will remove contacts completely-

net_rim_bb_addressbook,
    net_rim_bb_addressbook_app,
    net_rim_bb_addressbook_gal,
    net_rim_bb_addressbook_models,
    net_rim_bb_addressbook_simapp,
    net_rim_bb_addressbook_usimapp,
    net_rim_bb_addressbook_vcard,
    net_rim_bb_quickcontact,
    net_rim_bb_simphonebook

Any thoughts would be appreciated
    08-25-10 03:31 PM
    I would not recommend doing that? Otherwise you will not be able to hold any contacts on your blackberry and will most likely generate an OS error.
    08-25-10 04:00 PM
    What address book are you wanting to get rid of? If you are just looking to get rid of the contacts in the list do an advanced backup and clear out the Contacts database.
    08-25-10 04:01 PM
    I'm not sure I'm clear on what the problem is, but here's what happened to me and how I fixed it. I have a BES account but don't sync my contacts through BES. I noticed that my contacts were not syncing to various third party apps. I then learned that the device had 3 contact lists, and for whatever reason the one with no data in it was linked to sync with these apps etc. After much troubleshooting and exchanges with my BES administrator I got no where. I then figured it out by process of elimination and a little help from Mr. Google.

I backed up my contacts to my desktop. I then did as has been suggested here: I deleted the contacts service book associated with my BES account (I�m sorry but I don�t know what you�d need to delete since you�re not dealing with BES). This did not remove the extra contacts list.

To remove the extra contacts lists I did the following (quoted from another forum/thread):

1) Go into your Contacts list and press the menu key. Click on Options. Hold down the right Shift key and press RSET. This will give you a screen prompting to erase your contacts and reload from the server.

[I didn�t do this next step, but it was listed so am pasting it here]
    2) You can use the BlackBerry Desktop mgr to delete the contacts database.

Don�t know if this helps, but it did for me. At the very least you can try different variations of these things. Good luck.
    08-25-10 04:07 PM
    With the AT&T Address book installed there are 2 lists, default and the AT&T. When installed it will move everything from the bb contact list create the AT&T one and plug everything in under AT&T address book and apparently the bb contact list is not called default. The issue is I cannot find any way and like I said neither can RIM or AT&T- to revert and remove...
    08-25-10 04:10 PM
    I hate that as well. I would love to remove the useless AT&T address book and Visual Voice mail as well.
    08-25-10 04:16 PM
    Wow, Holding down Shift key and pressing RSET did in fact delete it, problem is once I restored the address book it brought everything back the same. I will have to re-sync with my outlook and see how that goes.

Gameson- If you are comfortable messing with the os, for VVM just delete net_rim_bb_vvm.alx
    ast_ph likes this.
    08-25-10 04:34 PM
    ebarne, for VVM, is that just one file? I see that VVM contain many cod files, 7 modules. Will it remove the VVM completely from the phone? with no problems on the OS.

For AT&T Address book, which screen do I punch the combo?

I would like to remove these two, but if it cause any OS discruption, I would rather have these two than headache.
    Last edited by gameson; 08-25-10 at 05:09 PM.
    08-25-10 05:06 PM
    Removing all vvm files will do the job. Under options in contacts, you will need to reload the contacts but if you reload from the DM backup it will restore them with the AT&T values...
    08-25-10 05:39 PM
    HOW TO REMOVE THE ANNOYING ATT ADDRESS BOOK?

You cannot remove it: there is a note on RIM official website identifying the issue and stating that there is no planned resolution ... :-( Keep in mind that the data that has already been uploaded to the ATT address book has no preliminary privacy agreement whatsoever. I actually heard that ATT was building their data base of contacts to resell it for commercial purposes. Imagine the power of a company that could cross-reference the personal contacts from a third of the entire country!

This would explain why this feature is deliberately impossible to remove once it has been activated. This would also explain why the ATT support is taking one for a ride every time one calls them with the issue (pretending they discover the issue and knowing not what you are calling about).

However, you can think about the "ATT Address Book" like the herpes virus: you can keep it silent and empty in the device as if it were not here....

FIRST: MAKER SURE THAT ALL YOUR DATA ARE BACKED UP (Below for the TORCH 9800)

- Wipe out data AND applications on the device (Options/Security/Security wipeout)
    - Update software, until device is stable, from the desktop manager (may have to do several runs)
    - Do NOT SELECT "Contacts" for the moment
    - Connect the phone to ATT (GSM/EDGE/3G)
    - Provision email (Help/Send Service Book - from the att.blackberry.com website on your computer)
    - Set default email/calendar - if you have several email setup (Options/Device/Advanced systems settings/Default services, choose your options)
    - Select keep forever in calendar – if you want more than the RIM 60 day default option (Calendar/Options/Calendar display and actions, select forever)
    - NOW BE CAREFUL: select address book, go to options, ATT address book will start to sync up with the ATT host, turn off the device IMMEDIATELY (red hang-up), turn it back on, go back to contacts, select option again, go to ATT address book (above “contact list”), then UNCHECK “wireless synchronization” (BE CAREFUL not to press on” sync” right above), exit, done.
    - Sync one way from Outlook (or your personal data back up)
    - Sync both ways with Outlook
    - You are ready to rock and roll

PS: for those who do not believe in the conspiracy theory, be aware that the "ATT Address Book" performs random deduplication. In other terms, if you have 2 contacts with the same name (FN/LN) it will randomly eliminate one of them, without asking you if you want to remove it, or which one to remove if you want to remove one. Nice!

LeBaron.
    Last edited by LeBaronNYC; 11-09-10 at 09:04 PM.
    11-09-10 08:53 PM
    Don't do any of this. Use bbsak or crackmem to remove the nabsync.cod files off of the phone.

HOW TO REMOVE THE ANNOYING ATT ADDRESS BOOK?

You cannot remove it: there is a note on RIM official website identifying the issue and stating that there is no planned resolution ... :-( Keep in mind that the data that has already been uploaded to the ATT address book has no preliminary privacy agreement whatsoever. I actually heard that ATT was building their data base of contacts to resell it for commercial purposes. Imagine the power of a company that could cross-reference the personal contacts from a third of the entire country!

This would explain why this feature is deliberately impossible to remove once it has been activated. This would also explain why the ATT support is taking one for a ride every time one calls them with the issue (pretending they discover the issue and knowing not what you are calling about).

However, you can think about the "ATT Address Book" like the herpes virus: you can keep it silent and empty in the device as if it were not here....

FIRST: MAKER SURE THAT ALL YOUR DATA ARE BACKED UP

- Wipe out data AND applications on the device (Options/Security/Security wipeout)
    - Update software, until device is stable, from the desktop manager (may have to do several runs)
    - Do NOT SELECT "Contacts" for the moment
    - Connect the phone to ATT (GSM/EDGE/3G)
    - Provision email (Help/Send Service Book - from the att.blackberry.com website on your computer)
    - Set default email/calendar - if you have several email setup (Options/Device/Advanced systems settings/Default services, choose your options)
    - Select keep forever in calendar � if you want more than the RIM 60 day default option (Calendar/Options/Calendar display and actions, select forever)
    - NOW BE CAREFUL: select address book, go to options, ATT address book will start to sync up with the ATT host, turn off the device IMMEDIATELY (red hang-up), turn it back on, go back to contacts, select option again, go to ATT address book (above �contact list�), then UNCHECK �wireless synchronization� (BE CAREFUL not to press on� sync� right above), exit, done.
    - Sync one way from Outlook (or your personal data back up)
    - Sync both ways from Outlook
    - You are ready to rock and roll
    marker580 and homer1475 like this.
    11-09-10 08:56 PM
    Don't do any of this. Use bbsak or crackmem to remove the nabsync.cod files off of the phone.

awesome!!! whacked them all...
    11-09-10 09:24 PM
    I dont understand whats so wrong with the AT&T address book , and why anyone would want to delete it other then possibly not using it on an AT&T network. Is this a pushed service or native to the device/OS? I use it, just have no clue whether it was native or pushed and why one would want to remove it, other then the obvious conspiracy theory. On a side note, I have no problem with double entries as posted by the conspiracy theorist. I have 3 that are like Sr. and Jr. but not listed them that way. I put Jr. or Sr. in the company name section to distinguish them.
    11-09-10 10:19 PM
    Ok, I am a newbie... what is bbsak or crackmem ?

Thanks.
    11-10-10 01:17 AM
    Ok, I am a newbie... what is bbsak or crackmem ?

Thanks.
    BBSAK = blackberry swiss army knife
    [10/16/10] BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife v1.8.5 - PPCGeeks

Its a javaloader GUI and is capable of handling the os files of a blackberry. You can load/remove cod files directly to/from the blackberry.
    11-10-10 01:23 AM
    BBSAK = blackberry swiss army knife
    [10/16/10] BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife v1.8.5 - PPCGeeks

Its a javaloader GUI and is capable of handling the os files of a blackberry. You can load/remove cod files directly to/from the blackberry.
    ---------

I'm having the same problem where I'm not able to remove the at&t address book from my device. If use BBSAK, will I loose my contacts if I remove the COD files from my device?
    01-14-11 12:04 AM
    ---------

I'm having the same problem where I'm not able to remove the at&t address book from my device. If use BBSAK, will I loose my contacts if I remove the COD files from my device?
    Do a backup of the address book just in case
    01-14-11 06:29 AM
    I dont understand whats so wrong with the AT&T address book , and why anyone would want to delete it other then possibly not using it on an AT&T network. Is this a pushed service or native to the device/OS? I use it, just have no clue whether it was native or pushed and why one would want to remove it, other then the obvious conspiracy theory. On a side note, I have no problem with double entries as posted by the conspiracy theorist. I have 3 that are like Sr. and Jr. but not listed them that way. I put Jr. or Sr. in the company name section to distinguish them.
    For me and many others, I sync to outlook for org data. Others use an ota service like yahoo or gmail to do the same. If you use att add bk along side this you will have duplicate entries. One user reported they sell you contact list but I am not sure I buy that with their current privacy policies but unless you read the eula in detail, no telling what you are agreeing to.

For me since I never plan on using this feature, I see no need to have it installed much less running in the background as it does by default as seen with an decent task manager.

As for push, yes it is push. As far as native goes I am pretty sure RIM wrote this feature at the request of att, so yes. I don't have a non-att device to see so I wonder if it is there running in the background anyway. It does not get installed if on BES (I have both).

01-14-11 09:12 AM
    I just used BBSAK and removed the nabsync files (4 of them) got the "Files sucessfully removed" message. Phone rebooted.. ATT address book is still there and in it's fully glory with 164 contacts in it. Default address book is also there (also w/ 164 contacts..)

Someone help please!!
    01-31-11 07:34 PM
    Then you did it wrong. Do it again and use the shift key after reading the device to select all 4 nabsync cod files at once then remove them. The device will reset when finished. You should also remove them from the Java directory so it will not get installed again if and when you re-install the OS.

01-31-11 08:42 PM
    Subscribed. Wuold like to be rid of it as well

02-01-11 04:47 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD