I've been all over the internet for an hour trying to get an answer on this. Based on what i've seen its about 50/50 saying yes it is unlocked and yes it is locked. Both can't be right?? can anyone confirm as of right now, is the GPS on the 8530 unlocked for use with 3rd party apps? Thanks.
    08-25-10 07:13 AM
    I wasn't aware that the GPS was completely locked out for 3rd party apps. Google Maps seems to work flawlessly with the GPS on, as well as some of my other apps, like Poynt.
    08-25-10 09:26 AM
    Are you 100% sure you are using GPS and not cell tower triangulation with those 3rd party apps? I'm specifically looking for users who have 3rd party voice guided navigation apps installed like Garmin or even Waze
    Last edited by marioval; 08-25-10 at 09:32 AM.
    08-25-10 09:29 AM
    I believe that Verizon locks gps unless you subscribe to their navigation software.

I'm in Canada, with Telus and I use Endomondo gps tracking, and it works 100% all the time.
    08-25-10 09:45 AM
    Are you 100% sure you are using GPS and not cell tower triangulation with those 3rd party apps? I'm specifically looking for users who have 3rd party voice guided navigation apps installed like Garmin or even Waze
    There is a noticeable difference between using strictly tower triangulation or GPS. Triangulation (GPS off) gives me extremely inaccurate directions and location, but turning the GPS on makes them much more precise. I've never used any other GPS apps like Garmin, though, so I can't say for sure.
    08-25-10 09:48 AM
    I believe that Verizon locks gps unless you subscribe to their navigation software.
    Not true. I'm on Verizon and GPS on my 8530 works with every 3rd-party app that I've tried (Google Maps, Poynt, InstaMapper, etc.) and I don't subscribe to Verizon's navigation software/service.
    08-25-10 09:56 AM
    Not true. I'm on Verizon and GPS on my 8530 works with every 3rd-party app that I've tried (Google Maps, Poynt, InstaMapper, etc.) and I don't subscribe to Verizon's navigation software/service.
    Excellent!! Thats what I was looking for. hey fairtomiddlin or anyone else. have you tried Waze? I'm waiting for my new 8530 to be shipped and was wondering if anyone wants to give the Blackberry Beta of Waze a try and let me know how it goes? The download link is here

Download waze from your smartphone

Thanks
    08-25-10 01:30 PM
    So is there a setting to cut your GPS on and off? If so, how do you do it? If I have an app needing GPS does it cut on and off automatically or do I have to do it manually?
    08-25-10 03:59 PM
    So is there a setting to cut your GPS on and off? If so, how do you do it? If I have an app needing GPS does it cut on and off automatically or do I have to do it manually?
    If you go to Options>Advanced Options>GPS you can turn your device's GPS on or off.
    08-25-10 04:21 PM
    I'm pretty sure you have the option to turn it off or on. I can, and I have tried gowalla and it works. ( Sprint ) I'm not sure if Verizon locks it or not. Sprint has their navigation software free anyway.
    08-25-10 04:54 PM
    Verizon doesn't lock it, neither does metro. Just make sure your settings are correct in the GPS option menu.
    08-25-10 10:44 PM
    Oo the gps isn't already voice guided?? That sucks. What is a good free app that has voice guided direction for the 8530??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-10 12:53 AM
    I am not aware of an application that provides free voice guided directions. Most gps apps with voice service are a paid app. Some offer a trial, but that doesn't last very long.

You could check out https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=-V2IKq6X - for a good paid app for gps.

08-26-10 01:21 AM
    Ok I just got my 8530 yesterday (actually my wife did) and I can say yes the GPS is certainly unlocked. I tried a few GPS Navigation apps and here is what I have so far in case anyone else does a search for this.....

Waze
    *installed fine
    *runs fine
    *GPS locks right away
    **Problem is doesn't support 8530's screen size or resolution so everything is huge and mostly cut off the screen. Uninstalled.

AmazeGPS. Since i'm on still on my 1 year free trial from my previous Windows phone I thought i'd try it.
    *installed fine
    *runs fine
    *Looks great
    **Problem is it never locked onto a satellite even after an hour or waiting. Uninstalled.

LifeInPocket
    *installed fine
    *runs fine
    *Looks great
    *GPS locks fast
    **This one actually works. The only downer is that you get voice guidance with arrows and text but no actual map but for free I guess cant complain. I'll stick to this until something better comes along.
    08-27-10 06:04 AM
    Just thought I would update my recent experience with Life In Pocket. I tried to use it to get to a movie theater I have never been to about 25 miles from my home. It kept telling me to get on roads that were not there. It was giving major highways the wrong name (told me to get on 5 South when the onramp was actually for 84 west). This thing turned out to be useless. Uninstalled. I'm still on a quest for a decent free GPS...... Also an update to AmazeGPS. I figured out the problem with the GPS not getting a lock. In the General Settings there is an option called "Sprint/GPS Problem", I put a checkmark there and the GPS connects right away now. I'm still waiting for Amaze Customer Service to transfer my free trial to the new device so I can test it. If this one works then it might be the best choice though not free its only $34 a month. it will be a last resort if I cant anything that works for free.....
    08-30-10 06:03 AM
    Just thought I would update my recent experience with Life In Pocket. I tried to use it to get to a movie theater I have never been to about 25 miles from my home. It kept telling me to get on roads that were not there. It was giving major highways the wrong name (told me to get on 5 South when the onramp was actually for 84 west). This thing turned out to be useless. Uninstalled. I'm still on a quest for a decent free GPS...... Also an update to AmazeGPS. I figured out the problem with the GPS not getting a lock. In the General Settings there is an option called "Sprint/GPS Problem", I put a checkmark there and the GPS connects right away now. I'm still waiting for Amaze Customer Service to transfer my free trial to the new device so I can test it. If this one works then it might be the best choice though not free its only $34 a month. it will be a last resort if I cant anything that works for free.....
    to spend 34 dollars a month on GPS navigation on a phone is crazy,remember the signal is free,i would buy a garmin for 100 dollars bigger screen and free to run.
    08-30-10 03:38 PM
    Sorry, that was a typo, its $34 a year, not per month. That turns out to be less that $3 a month.... By the way i'm on my free trial now of AmaZeGPS and it works fantastic!!!
    09-02-10 06:29 AM
    I hear Spot uses free mapping services like Google Maps in conjunction with the BB's GPS to add voice nav etc. It's $49 but no further subscriptions necessary.

Spot

It doesn't list the 8530, but the 83xx should work, same screen res...
    Last edited by Zigakly; 09-02-10 at 08:28 AM.
    09-02-10 08:24 AM
    I've been all over the internet for an hour trying to get an answer on this. Based on what i've seen its about 50/50 saying yes it is unlocked and yes it is locked. Both can't be right?? can anyone confirm as of right now, is the GPS on the 8530 unlocked for use with 3rd party apps? Thanks.
    I have Verizon and a bb 8530 with unlimited data plan. My GPS is unlocked - went to options, advanced options, GPS and set GPS Services to Location On and within 3 minutes had GPS signal. Opened BB Maps and showed my current location. Tried it the next day from a dif location and again it was correct. So I would have to say yes, the GPS on Verizon is unlocked. If I'm not mistaken, Verizon unlocked GPS on all devices later than the 8330.

Mike
    09-02-10 08:16 PM
    The past few phones I've had from Sprint came with a free app simply called Sprint Navigation which is powered by TeleNav. It's great! It utilizes the GPS, tells me how many miles I am away from and what time I will arrive at my destination. It also has both 2D and 3D maps as well as voice navigation. You can also enter your destination address with your voice so you don't have to type while driving and alerts me of traffic. Did I mention that it was free?

09-03-10 02:03 AM
    Marioval, If you can't find a free app, then you might as well go with VZW Navigator. It's actually pretty decent, and it's only 10 a month. If you do find a good freebee, let me know, please. I'm a trucker, and I would love to find one that I don't have to pay for. Until then, it's the map and calculator for me.
    09-03-10 05:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD