Ok- I have the Tour and have been very happy with it. I haven't had really any problems with it. The trackball is touchy sometimes, but I like it. My beautiful fianc� needs a new phone- she has an old pink 8330. Right now VZW has BOGO for the Bolds for $99. My Tour has been showing its age lately and the battery is slowly not holding a good charge.

I have been sort of itching to try the Droid X- sorry fellow CB brothers, but the technology is awesome. However, I don't like touch screen and I need a reliable phone like a Bold and would probably throw the X through the wall the first time its flaky touch screen wouldn't let me answer or make a call. So, I'm deciding... so, I ask the Bold users:
    1- Is the Bold that much better than the Tour?
    2- When do you think OS 6 will be ready for the Bold
    3- Do you think the Bold would be a wise purchase now as sort of a bridge device until LTE rolls out to more areas?
    4- Should I get the X and leave what I know is safe and what really works (BB)?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    ps..... @Atomic Dawg- don't even bother replying. We all know you're a tool
    08-21-10 03:09 PM
    (ggggggggggggggg re: Atomic dawg being preempted)

I really like the Bold. I liked the Tour but my Trackball was an issue. Other than that any other changes are mostly subtle. Keyboard is basically the same - larger top row, skinnier bottom (spacebar row).

Wifi (you can make calls and use data at same time - not a biggie but something). Faster is the claim.

More memory for more apps and maybe OS6 (is dawg truly wrong? (G))

I guess, if possible, get the Droid by itself, try it for a few weeks and return and hope the BOGO (I typed BOBO) is still available when you return it and get the Bold.

(I was one of the lucky ones who got the Bold for a replacement of the Tour)
    08-21-10 03:32 PM
    I just made the jump today. I can tell you so far with playing with for a few minutes that I did I wish this was the phone I would have gotton when I got my tour.
    I was fretting over doing it for a number of reasons most of witch was adding to my account or contract to get a real working phone. I got a deal on a new 9650 locally. Paid more than $99 but my contract and account is the same and I can dump my 9630 and be close to even.

My advice after reading android and bb forums is figure out how do plan to use the phone. Messaging BB wins, Web and fun stuff Android wins.

I use mine for messaging and BB does that perfect for me. I have a laptop for the web.

Good luck

James
    08-21-10 03:46 PM
    1- Is the Bold that much better than the Tour?
    I think it is. It is actually the phone the Tour should have been last year.

2- When do you think OS 6 will be ready for the Bold
    Don't know. Supposedly it is at VZW's labs awaiting anointing with pixie dust.

3- Do you think the Bold would be a wise purchase now as sort of a bridge device until LTE rolls out to more areas?
    VZW's CFO said something to the effect there won't be handsets till mid next 2011. It's only $70 more for a one year contract.

4- Should I get the X and leave what I know is safe and what really works (BB)?
    That's a personal choice, VZW has a 30 day return policy. I have had mine for three days. Am I happy with RIM"s slow progress on fixing the browser? No. But for what I use the phone most for, the Berry is the best choice and is passable at the browser. My 8330 wouldn't open my bank's mobile web page. The 9650 does. It's not as good at web as Android, but it'll work.

If you use your phone primarily for phone, messaging, e-mail and web (in that order) you will be quite pleased. If you use web more, then it won't be as good. Also, make a list of the apps you use, or would like to use, and be sure you can get them on the platform you are interested in.

Good luck!
    08-21-10 08:39 PM
    I've had my Bold 9650 for a couple of months. It's a better device than my Tour. More memory, great keyboard, trackpad and wifi. As for when will OS6 be ready, nobody knows but it shouldn't be too long. I'm sure the Droid X is a nice phone. It has all the bells and whistles. But , if you want a device that just works and gets the job done you can't be a Blackberry.
    08-21-10 10:04 PM
    If you want a touchscreen and android then get the X If you are truly a BB person you can't go wrong with the BB. I find it to be fantastic. It is running great on the 5.0 and am sure the 6.0 and webkit browser will be awesome when it is released. I don't have issues browsing, but I only use it for a few sites. I do listen to my music on it. it takes very good pics. Email is great, never a problem. It is dependable.
    It is what I care about.Dependability and I also have been a fangirl of BB for a very long time.
    I have played with Android and it just isn't for me. I prefer BB but it is your choice.
    08-21-10 11:03 PM
    I've had my Bold for about a month (replacement for a Tour). No issues to report, trackpad rocks, Wifi is a nice option. I'm not a fan of a touch screen, and the X is a bit much for what I need. My only issue as of late is a BB server problem i assume, my BBM messages and not sending correctly, nothing to do with the Bold itself.
    08-21-10 11:37 PM
    Please excuse the typos, I type like crap!
    08-21-10 11:38 PM
    No one knows about OS6, bold is way better period than the tour. But I will say google phones are pretty dang good. Wife has the incredible and it runs like a boss!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-10 12:23 AM
    Couple of things... About the X, how do you use your phone? If it's mostly social then you might like the X but I can tell you from experience that you WILL HATE IT if you use your device for business. I use mine to run my company from and I picked up a Moto Droid and nearly saw all my organizational skills go out the window. Android is awesome, but in my opinion it isn't a good business tool at all. Not to say some people still don't use it that way, because they do. But play with one A LOT in the store before you buy. There's a $35 restock fee for changing devices within 30 days at VZW fyi.

08-22-10 02:30 AM
    I just got my bold finally after using my backup curve for a while. Its a great improvement and very similar to the experience I had with my S2, which was very fluid and snappy. If you're interested in the Android platform though, take advantage of the 30 day trial you get from Verizon and see if you like it as your main phone. If not, then you always can go back to a BB. I'm sure the BOGO offer will still be standing.
    08-22-10 03:29 AM
    There is almost a post a day here from android users coming back to BB. I am one of them.
    I guess it just depends on your preferences and how you plan to use it.

08-22-10 06:42 AM
    Bold is a great device you wont regret it.
    OS 6 will be out when it is out, although i doubt verizon will release it for the 9650 before they release it for a signature device (ala Storm3)...but 5.0.0.732 is very very stable and for the most part is a very good OS.
    the droidx is a beast of a phone, but it is very large and doesnt have the best battery life in the world.

really, its all personal preference. wifi is a great addition, trackpad etc. but since you the 9630 it wont be as fun as going from a 8830 to a 9650 like it was for me.
    08-22-10 07:17 AM
    Just a heads up, I heard that the BOGO is ending August 31st which is why I got mine yesterday. So if you want a good deal I'd ditch the droid and get the bb. Or try one out in the vzw stores and make sure you like it before you buy it.

08-22-10 08:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD