OK, well I was having the BIS issues mentioned in one of the threads on the forums so I went and exchanged my Torch for a new device. Now, the BIS issue seems to be fine.

The new issue I am having relates to WiFi. When I am on WiFi in my house and I look up a web page/download a program, etc... The WiFi just seems to hang. No rhyme or reason where or why, just stops. The 3G connection does not kick in. I have to turn off the WiFi and redo the operation on 3G.

Anyone run in to anything like this? Where during a WiFi type of request, it will just hang and eventually abort?

Thanks.
    08-21-10 10:34 AM
    Instead of creating a new wifi thread, I'll tag on to this one.....

If I'm sitting in the house with the wifi on, which does the phone choose as the primary download protocol? Is there a way to ensure that when in the house my phone uses wifi instead of radio to download, or do I have to turn off the radio to ensure it works that way?
    08-21-10 10:45 AM
    OK, well I was having the BIS issues mentioned in one of the threads on the forums so I went and exchanged my Torch for a new device. Now, the BIS issue seems to be fine.

The new issue I am having relates to WiFi. When I am on WiFi in my house and I look up a web page/download a program, etc... The WiFi just seems to hang. No rhyme or reason where or why, just stops. The 3G connection does not kick in. I have to turn off the WiFi and redo the operation on 3G.

Anyone run in to anything like this? Where during a WiFi type of request, it will just hang and eventually abort?

Thanks.
    I have this issue as well. Sometimes it takes 3-4 seconds to get connected to whatever I'm browsing but once connected, its blazing fast. Just replaced my 6-mo old belkin router w/Apple airport extreme..... this is one great router. Only have 1.5mb DSL service (for now) and with the airport extreme I don't get those annoying buffering on youtube, whether on laptop or torch.

But yes I do see what I call stalling connecting.... if I do a restart or battery pull its good for a while but it does return. I've tried clearing the browser cache and memory cleaning but it has no effect. Just annoying as it usually connects in 3-4 seconds.
    08-21-10 11:29 AM

Thanks.
    ditto +1 (and blue tooth doesn't seem to work correctly when wifi on either).
    08-21-10 11:43 AM
    Have you tried unplugging/replugging your router and/or modems? I have to do this about once a month in my house even for my laptops to get a quick connection.
    08-21-10 11:49 AM
    I use a Belkin router as supplied by my ISP - I use the "push button" method of connecting my device to the router and don't have any issues or lags. I simply push the button on the router and click the "push button" connection method on the BB. I wouldn't think it would be the device, but maybe your wireless router.
    08-21-10 12:36 PM
    I use a Belkin router as supplied by my ISP - I use the "push button" method of connecting my device to the router and don't have any issues or lags. I simply push the button on the router and click the "push button" connection method on the BB. I wouldn't think it would be the device, but maybe your wireless router.
    I'd like to think its the router, but I suspect not. What may be happening is interferrence on the 2.4ghz or 5ghz radio spectrum within the wifi area. Using the WPA push button method is only related to wireless security and not the radio signal. Sometimes changing the radio channels (manual vs. automatic) will rectify the problem.
    08-21-10 01:07 PM

If I'm sitting in the house with the wifi on, which does the phone choose as the primary download protocol? Is there a way to ensure that when in the house my phone uses wifi instead of radio to download, or do I have to turn off the radio to ensure it works that way?
    I have Edge at home so I use a netgear router with N. My torch seems to use the moble network all the time. In order for me to get the Wifi -N I need to turn off the mobile network which really sucks. if anybody has a solution Im open to sugestions. this is the only problem I have with the torch.
    09-04-10 07:55 AM
    Have you searched to see if there is a new firmware for your router? Also I was having trouble with my laptop loosing connection and don't know why it helped, don't loose connection now, but I changed my security from WPA personal to WPA2 personal and the encryption from TKIP to AES.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 09-04-10 at 08:39 AM. Reason: add about security
    09-04-10 08:35 AM

I have come to the conclusion that this is the case . I can find no menu option for it to prompt when ATT or WiFi are both available. I guess this will be the same at an ATT (free) WiFi hotspot as well - but I have yet to try it. Still, I guess we will have uninterrupted browsing!
    09-19-10 10:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD