I accidentally dropped my phone in a swimming pool today, won't turn on, i took my sim card out, battery, and memory card out. Any chances it'll dry out and still work properly???? I'm sooooo mad.

Any suggestions?
    08-20-10 08:21 PM
    Put the phone and battery in uncooked rice. This absorbs moisture.
    08-20-10 08:23 PM
    Put the phone and battery in uncooked rice. This absorbs moisture.
    Thanks! I'll try that. How long should I let it set? Overnight?
    08-20-10 08:35 PM
    4 - 5 days MINIMUM!
    08-20-10 08:39 PM
    Thanks! I'll try that. How long should I let it set? Overnight?
    At least a full day!!! Cover the phone in rice completely. That's the only way to have any chance of it working.
    08-20-10 09:23 PM
    I would recommend leaving it sit in the rice at least 4 days.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-21-10 12:53 AM
    I dropped mine in a horse water tank, . I pulled the battery out and drove around with it opened up on my car defroster for a couple hours. It got hot enough to evaporate water but not damage the rubber parts. I then followed along with the dismantling guide on UTube to take it apart enough to dab everything with alcohol. I was lucky that I got the battery out before it was ruined, and the device worked fine after I did the above. I did get an insurance replacement because it would always have a red tag - the insurance does cover water damage if you have it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-10 11:04 AM
    Ok tested it today after letting it sit in the rice and it did show some signs of life. It did come on this time. Went to try and text and the screen went completely white. Went and bought me a cheap go phone to use while my blackberry is drying out.

Also was wondering, i bid on a broken 9700 on ebay (figured why not it was only .99) the phone apparently everything works but the screen is broken, well my screen still works, is there a way of taking the screen of my phone off and putting it on the one that had the broken screen?

This is if my phone doesn't start working properly btw. That and the auction is still going on.

WELL I'VE BEEN OUTBID AND I'M NOT WILLING TO PAY THAT MUCH FOR A BROKEN PHONE JUST YET.
    Last edited by Indianagirl; 08-21-10 at 03:58 PM.
    08-21-10 03:43 PM
    You made a mistake by "testing" the phone after only one day in the rice. The damage is likely permanent now.

Keep looking for a replacement because you are going to need it.
    08-21-10 05:53 PM
    You made a mistake by "testing" the phone after only one day in the rice. The damage is likely permanent now.

Keep looking for a replacement because you are going to need it.
    Yeah =/

When the screen went white, it was most likely the moisture causing a short. Kinda needed to leave it off until completely dry.

There's still a chance it will work, but the odds went down significantly.
    08-21-10 05:56 PM
    live and learn i guess.
    08-21-10 08:24 PM
    4-5 days is the recommended time to leave it in the rice before attempting to turn it on.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-21-10 10:20 PM
    I did that with my old 8330, I left it in a ziplock bag full of rice for 2 days. Smelling like rice and good as new. :P

As long as you weren't swimming in a saltwater pool, then you should be fine. It appears you know what you're doing.
    08-21-10 10:50 PM
    I did that with my old 8330, I left it in a ziplock bag full of rice for 2 days. Smelling like rice and good as new. :P

As long as you weren't swimming in a saltwater pool, then you should be fine. It appears you know what you're doing.
    The 83xx series were built like a tank! My 8320 sat 3/4 submerged in half frozen puddle for two and a half days. Found it, smacked it on my leg a few times to get the water out from around the keyboard and turned it on. Worked like it had never been in the puddle.

Haven't heard very many success stories with the 9700 + water
    08-21-10 11:17 PM
    Hey would this work to fix my phone?

★NEW ORIGINAL BLACKBERRY BOLD 9700 MIDDLE CHASSIS PARTS - eBay (item 330451906072 end time Sep-13-10 10:11:42 PDT)

waiting to hear back from the seller. Probably won't hear back from them until Monday.
    08-21-10 11:59 PM
    Rice is decent as a dessicant (lol) but there are other materials that would also work (possibly better). I'd recommend fresh kitty litter or fresh charcoal briquettes. Both are extremely hydrophilic (very dry and absorb moisture). Arguably better than rice.

However, it's imperative that you don't just toss your BB into either of these items. Separate them with a dry paper towel and leave in an enclosed container for several days.
    08-22-10 12:32 AM
    Hey would this work to fix my phone?

★NEW ORIGINAL BLACKBERRY BOLD 9700 MIDDLE CHASSIS PARTS - eBay (item 330451906072 end time Sep-13-10 10:11:42 PDT)

waiting to hear back from the seller. Probably won't hear back from them until Monday.
    =/ not really. If there is a short, it happened in this area

Or the LCD got fried and would need replacing.
    08-22-10 12:47 AM
    Ok tested it today after letting it sit in the rice and it did show some signs of life. It did come on this time. Went to try and text and the screen went completely white. Went and bought me a cheap go phone to use while my blackberry is drying out.

Also was wondering, i bid on a broken 9700 on ebay (figured why not it was only .99) the phone apparently everything works but the screen is broken, well my screen still works, is there a way of taking the screen of my phone off and putting it on the one that had the broken screen?

This is if my phone doesn't start working properly btw. That and the auction is still going on.

WELL I'VE BEEN OUTBID AND I'M NOT WILLING TO PAY THAT MUCH FOR A BROKEN PHONE JUST YET.
    Why did you do that?
    You were stupid to turn it back on before the 72-86 hour mark.
    08-22-10 01:22 AM
    ^^Uncalled for. Making a mistake is not the same as being stupid. The OP clearly did not recognize the serious consequences of her actions. She came to this forum for help, not to be insulted.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-10 10:55 AM
    Why did you do that?
    You were stupid to turn it back on before the 72-86 hour mark.
    because i'm an ***** lol.
    08-22-10 11:37 AM
    Ok my phone APPEARS to be working like it should now. (keeping fingers crossed) thought i would try it again and see. As of right now It's working. Sent a few texts and made a cpl calls on it. seems to be working properly. Could it have been my otter box keeping it from having even more damage?

the camera is the only thing that's not working right now. everything else is so far.
    Last edited by Indianagirl; 08-22-10 at 08:10 PM.
    08-22-10 07:56 PM
    dont have insurance on the phone?
    08-22-10 08:26 PM
    Ok my phone APPEARS to be working like it should now. (keeping fingers crossed) thought i would try it again and see. As of right now It's working. Sent a few texts and made a cpl calls on it. seems to be working properly. Could it have been my otter box keeping it from having even more damage?

the camera is the only thing that's not working right now. everything else is so far.
    The Otterbox will protect to a certain degree.
    08-22-10 08:27 PM
    dont have insurance on the phone?
    no.

The Otterbox will protect to a certain degree.
    thats what i was thinking myself. maybe my camera will work after a cpl days if not, live and learn. as long as everything else is working properly that's fine with me.
    08-22-10 08:33 PM
    oh that stinks,but i dont think mine covers water damage so if it happenes oops i dropped it lol thats covered
    08-22-10 08:34 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD