So my company implemented Microsoft Exchange and CRM and while it seems to sync effortlessly w/ iPhone for some reason, our Blackberry users aren't able to sync. I proposed that they look into BES and they thanked me. Today they are implementing BES Express and I asked to be the guinea pig. While setting up I realised that its syncing all my information. I let my employer know that I'm not comfortable with them seeing all my information as this is my personal phone and I have discussions and bbm's and texts, etc, that are private and I don't want anyone seeing. I was told that while they do have the ability to turn off and on certain options, BES Express does not allow them to monitor or see what I'm doing on my phone.

My question; is this true? Can they see all my information?

If they can see all my information, is there a way to sync only my email with the BES Express and leave the rest of my phone off the server?

Anyones prompt and educated response would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
    08-20-10 04:30 PM
    Ok, you suggested they use BES and then after they did start using it, objected to the managment features of BES?

I can't tell you what BESx can do (I'm a BES admin), Regular BES can log phone calls, sms texts, reroute internet device though the intranet (companies internet connection) so that and internet rescrictions are enforced. BES can turn features off such as the ablitity to load third party applications, disable camera/video, not allow BIS email setup and so on.

BESx is limited version of BES, most the enterprise features are not included. If you don't trust your company or your email admins then perhaps you shouldn't have recommended BES to them.

For more infor on BESx:
    BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express: Frequently Asked Questions � Inside BlackBerry - Inside BlackBerry – The Official BlackBerry Blog
    Last edited by eBoyDog; 08-21-10 at 07:05 AM.
    08-21-10 07:02 AM
    BESx will sync your exchange contacts/calendar/tasks/memo and email to your BB. However, as far as I know it can't log phone calls, sms, and bbm like in the full BES. These seem to be some of the features RIM removed from BESx

We don't have a need for the logging at work, but I did look for those option briefly and didn't see them.
    08-22-10 01:58 PM
    Just so you know I'm not a moron and yes I do trust my co-workers. Thats why they asked me if I had any ideas. What bothers me is that its not my "co-workers" so to say that are handling it. The guy in charge is the IT director for our NY office. And after setting everything up I had to have him turn my SMS ability on and my other emails. So yes, I do trust the co-workers I know and have known for quite sometime but when it comes down to someone I don't really know 1000 miles aways handling my PERSONAL cell phone, I'm a bit weary about that. And its not without reason, occasionally I get SMS or MMS from my wife and I don't want people seeing them.

My boss has offered to pay for an extra phone but I'd rather not carry 2 blackberry's, so if I know for sure that this BES Express does not log my information then I'm happy using my personal phone.
    08-22-10 10:47 PM
    The BES server CAN log your information. Whether your company CHOSES to enable these features and monitor it is a different matter. Reasons like this are why many companies institiute a no personal phone on the BES policy.

As for BESx, I'm not 100% sure. The majority of it is the same as BES, but does have some stripped down features. However, if you are that concerned, then I would suggest you remove your phone from the company server.
    08-23-10 07:26 AM
    1 more question. I can't seem to see any of the items in my folders. I have my inbox, but when I select my different folders like eFax or Admins (ex: of folders) they are empty?? Any reason as to why this would be happening?
    08-23-10 08:15 AM
    Why would you volunteer for this knowing there is such personal info on there? Were you aware of what a BES can do before volunteering? This entire thread is kind of confusing to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-10 02:44 AM
    While the BB sees the entire mailbox folder structure, it only polulates the folders that have been marked for syncronization.
    08-27-10 06:58 AM
    On BES which I believe is the same for BESx, you can login into your webdesktop manager and change the folders that you want redirected or shown on your device.
    08-27-10 06:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD