Read some stuff about "rooting" your android phone, particularly in regards to the Galaxy S. I'd like to know more about it. What is it, how is it helpful/good, and what does it entail for process to do?

Thnx!
    08-18-10 07:58 PM
    Here you go. Read this and you will understand.

http://www.androidcentral.com/root
    08-18-10 08:00 PM
    Here you go. Read this and you will understand.

http://www.androidcentral.com/root
    ah, so it's pretty much pointless.. and a warranty/insurance voiding belch, cool. thanks!
    08-18-10 08:47 PM
    ah, so it's pretty much pointless.. and a warranty/insurance voiding belch, cool. thanks!
    That's like saying putting on a leaked (or official from another carrier) OS on your bb is pointless and voids your warranty. It's ridiculous. Rooting can screw up your phone just like putting sprite in your gas tank can screw up your car, but only if you choose to do something that stup1d. There are a lot of great apps out there that only run on a rooted droid.
    08-18-10 10:16 PM
    If you think having more freedoms with your device is pointless, then I guess it is. You can always go back to stock and no one would ever know you rooted.
    08-18-10 11:19 PM
    If you think having more freedoms with your device is pointless, then I guess it is. You can always go back to stock and no one would ever know you rooted.
    i've heard that, and it seems logically sound, but would only be valuable if i found my device to be enslaved... I don't, at all. thanks though guys, you confirmed that i'm content with my phone as is.
    08-19-10 12:12 AM
    That's like saying putting on a leaked (or official from another carrier) OS on your bb is pointless and voids your warranty. It's ridiculous. Rooting can screw up your phone just like putting sprite in your gas tank can screw up your car, but only if you choose to do something that stup1d. There are a lot of great apps out there that only run on a rooted droid.
    you're saying that it wouldn't void a warranty? i call complete bull-shavik on that! it's not at all like putting on an "official" OS from anywhere. instead, it's like taking a windows mobile device and installing it with android... that's what it's like; invasive and altering to manufacturer mandated specs. however a guy below pointed out that all can be reset to default, but in any case all is a moot point being that i have no desire, once read what little it does, in doing it. so thanks again for the info fellas.
    08-19-10 12:21 AM
    From my web research on the Android, rooting is very common and there are even apps that allows you to do one click rooting. It does void the warranty, but I wonder if that is just strong language used to discourage the practice. I am sure the warranty will not cover user modifications, because the warranty makes the company liable to replace the product at no cost to the customer if defects are present. Once you modify your device, you are no longer dealing with a company provided device. But when rooting is common and often promoted by industry experts, you got to figure it's not that dangerous to your device if done properly. Take that "voiding the warranty" alert as the company just advising you that they are not liable for your device if you mess it up while trying to root your device. So, if you do root, make sure you know what you are doing and do it right.

* Company refers to the manufacturer of the device or whoever is financially responsible for the warranty.
    08-19-10 12:20 PM
    If you want to go beyond the box with your Android phone, then you need to root it.
    08-19-10 12:50 PM
    From my web research on the Android, rooting is very common and there are even apps that allows you to do one click rooting. It does void the warranty, but I wonder if that is just strong language used to discourage the practice. I am sure the warranty will not cover user modifications, because the warranty makes the company liable to replace the product at no cost to the customer if defects are present. Once you modify your device, you are no longer dealing with a company provided device. But when rooting is common and often promoted by industry experts, you got to figure it's not that dangerous to your device if done properly. Take that "voiding the warranty" alert as the company just advising you that they are not liable for your device if you mess it up while trying to root your device. So, if you do root, make sure you know what you are doing and do it right.

* Company refers to the manufacturer of the device or whoever is financially responsible for the warranty.
    There's so much more that can go wrong with a phone that would be a warranty issue that could happen even if one's done a successful rooting and if it is done the phone would no longer be covered. For me, it's not even close to worth it. I see way too many issues with phones daily, especially smart phones.
    08-19-10 01:13 PM
    If you want to go beyond the box with your Android phone, then you need to root it.
    LOL! I pick my battles with pushing the norm, electronic devices that cost several hundred dollars isn't one, but nice try.
    08-19-10 01:15 PM
    ~So true~!
    08-19-10 01:57 PM
    There's so much more that can go wrong with a phone that would be a warranty issue that could happen even if one's done a successful rooting and if it is done the phone would no longer be covered. For me, it's not even close to worth it. I see way too many issues with phones daily, especially smart phones.
    Oh I agree with your concerns about rooting. The challenge with Crackberry and other forums is that you have users who are very comfortable with hacking their devices, so they know what to do if trouble starts. They may not know particulars but they know enough to figure it out. The common user likely doesn't know enough about the hacking environment to fix the problem if it occurs. So, being comfortable with that risk, I think depends on how knowledgeable you are on figuring out a solution to any problems that arise.

Being that I don't know much about hacking, I am not comfortable at all with the risk of doing it. I'd likely just stick to the official updates and customize the device within the normal confines that the stock system gives you. Although, if I could one of those apps that do 1-click rooting, and I wanted a cool function like the Swype keyboard, I might be tempted to try it. But doing it long hand, where you can a make major mistake if you're not careful? Nah, I don't think so!
    08-19-10 02:04 PM
    Oh I agree with your concerns about rooting. The challenge with Crackberry and other forums is that you have users who are very comfortable with hacking their devices, so they know what to do if trouble starts. They may not know particulars but they know enough to figure it out. The common user likely doesn't know enough about the hacking environment to fix the problem if it occurs. So, being comfortable with that risk, I think depends on how knowledgeable you are on figuring out a solution to any problems that arise.

Being that I don't know much about hacking, I am not comfortable at all with the risk of doing it. I'd likely just stick to the official updates and customize the device within the normal confines that the stock system gives you. Although, if I could one of those apps that do 1-click rooting, and I wanted a cool function like the Swype keyboard, I might be tempted to try it. But doing it long hand, where you can a make major mistake if you're not careful? Nah, I don't think so!
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with your thinking! In fact, that is good advice. I wouldn't recommend anyone root their device until they research it, read common problems across multiple forums, read "all" the popular hacking threads, and then sleep on it.

The fact is, it is so easy on some android phones, that I have heard of one button rooting! I have been rooted for awhile, and don't know about that one. In all honesty, I didn't need to root my phone, but I wanted too It is a ton of fun!
    08-19-10 02:11 PM
    Lots of reasons to root an Android, adding a screenshot app (rather than hooking up via SDK), run some servers off the phone, install custom ROMs (and bootloaders), customize themes/configs, remove carrier bloatware, and even actively develop apps on it.

But yes it does void warranty.
    08-19-10 02:15 PM
    I'd like to root my new Desire but i'm **** scared i'll brick it. Don't want a �500 paperweight lol.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of ways to unbrick it if things go wrong but I will undoubtedly try it when I feel brave or see a blow by blow video somewhere.

Was also wondering, if I debrand/unlock my handset can I download the HTC Froyo update without waiting for my carrier to release it? I'm impatient and I want it NOW. They're saying October for the official release.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
    08-19-10 02:20 PM

Long or short hand, there'd have to be a MUCH more serious enticement and value at the end of the tunnel than some lame keyboard. It'd have to free up major RAM/ROM and make my device run like a pro! But you're logic is the exact match of mine for sure.
    08-19-10 11:24 PM
    Long or short hand, there'd have to be a MUCH more serious enticement and value at the end of the tunnel than some lame keyboard. It'd have to free up major RAM/ROM and make my device run like a pro! But you're logic is the exact match of mine for sure.
    That is what it does. Rooting will allow you to get more than a keyboard. I'm pretty sure you don't even need to root to get the Swype keyboard lol. You get free tethering with rooting, to some, that clears up their monthly bill by a ton. Also, rooting most devices (the X is very close to having it happen) allows you to install custom ROMs that are optimized to make your device run better, get better battery life, and allow you to have full control. You can underclock for better battery life, set schedules for clockspeeds, overclock, load newer basebands, and some ROMs come with features ported over from other devices that are specific to that device.

Honestly, rooting is not hard, and unrooting is just as easy. If you don't feel comfortable that's fine, but I am not a programmer, I am not a hacker and I sure as **** do not know code and rooting was extremely easy. I used Linux once in my life before owning an Android device, and have only used a Terminal app (on my Mac) a hand full of times, and I knew what to do. The directions are straight forward and pretty hard to not understand. Most of them are designed specifically for people that do not know what they are doing.
    08-19-10 11:42 PM
    That is what it does. Rooting will allow you to get more than a keyboard. I'm pretty sure you don't even need to root to get the Swype keyboard lol. You get free tethering with rooting, to some, that clears up their monthly bill by a ton. Also, rooting most devices (the X is very close to having it happen) allows you to install custom ROMs that are optimized to make your device run better, get better battery life, and allow you to have full control. You can underclock for better battery life, set schedules for clockspeeds, overclock, load newer basebands, and some ROMs come with features ported over from other devices that are specific to that device.

Honestly, rooting is not hard, and unrooting is just as easy. If you don't feel comfortable that's fine, but I am not a programmer, I am not a hacker and I sure as **** do not know code and rooting was extremely easy. I used Linux once in my life before owning an Android device, and have only used a Terminal app (on my Mac) a hand full of times, and I knew what to do. The directions are straight forward and pretty hard to not understand. Most of them are designed specifically for people that do not know what they are doing.
    Yeah, I already have Swype, hate it with a passion, was just using his reference as a comparison base. You do bring up some worthy points and exactly what I was looking for in my initial post. I might think about it a bit more, being I'll have a back up coming in pretty soon, but in the end, I'm just not in any need of any further freedoms with my phone. In all honesty I only ordered the BlackBerry because I'm bored with the Galaxy S aesthetically. I miss my old Razr with a passion!
    08-20-10 12:43 AM
    I feel ya. Whatever suites your needs best.
    08-20-10 12:49 AM
    I feel ya. Whatever suites your needs best.
    Yeah, but this fascination we all share has absolutely nothing to do with "needs" now does it...?
    08-20-10 01:00 AM
    Yeah, but this fascination we all share has absolutely nothing to do with "needs" now does it...?
    lol true. As long as I think I need it, I need it.
    08-20-10 01:03 AM
    Bottom line, if you back up your current ROM (os) it is very hard to brick your phone. It is scary if you think it is something that happens very often, but the truth it is really rare to brick the phone (at least my brand of Motorola,-Droid 1)
    08-20-10 09:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD