View Poll Results: Bold or Thunder? Which will you be getting?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bold

101 58.05%
  • Thunder

73 41.95%
    So my 8700 is in bad shape; the scroll bar is broken (still works, but is really sensitive, long story).

Anyway, my contract with T-Mobile USA, who I've been happy with, is up at the end of August. So I'm trying to decide between the Bold or the Thunder. Generally, I think the Bold appears to be the best of all possible worlds of keyboard BBs. My concern with the Thunder is there will be a lot of bugs, and that it won't really work until version 2 or 3. Still, it looks pretty cool.

So basically, I'm asking the Crackberry nation, which phone are you more interested in getting? Bold or Thunder?
    07-14-08 11:22 AM
    Have T-Mob actually announced they getting the BOLD? Last I heard they may not get it but I don't know if anything has changed. If they are, they definately will not have it in August.
    07-14-08 11:27 AM
    I'm wondering the same thing. Which one should I upgrade to?

The bold is definitely a step up from the Curve I currently have. The Curve has been great, but I like the idea of faster speeds and the apps said to be on the Bold.

The Thunder has better Web-appeal. The only downside is the usability of the touch screen. From everything I've read, it seems that RIM has a better design than Apple. We'll see.

Not knowing when the Thunder will be available and how much it will cost might make we wait for a little while. Or I might just get the Bold and cross that bridge when I get there.
    07-14-08 12:11 PM
    I haven't heard anything about T-Mobile getting the Bold. For me, part of the issue, I don't know how much longer I can wait it out. The scroll wheel on my 8700 has broken, so unless I move it very gently, it clicks and brings a menu up. Extremely annoying. I haven't heard great things about AT&T's network (at least in Chicago), but with Wi-Fi, I figure if I'm not getting service I won't be too far from a HotSpot.

As I said, my biggest fear is that the Thunder will be a "first generation device" that maybe after the second or their revamping will be great, but could be full of a lot of frustrations, while the Bold seems to be the culmination of everything RIM has learned from making hard keyboard smartphones.

Just my two cents. I can't wait for both of these to come out.
    07-14-08 12:33 PM
    I am going with the Bold because I don't think I could stand to wait for the Thunder to have my first BB, and because I have heard that the Thunder won't be coming to AT&T.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-08 12:38 PM
    THe Bold. I hate touch screens. I want a phone with balls.
    07-14-08 12:38 PM
    If verizon gets the bold I will choose that over the thunder. I'm not into touchscreens @ all to be honest.

07-14-08 12:48 PM
    Unless you want to switch to Verizon, don't even think about the Thunder. It will be exclusive to Verizon (and Vodaphone) for a period of time. I imagine RIM will give Verizon a year or so to see where sales go - though details of the exclusive contract have not been released.

When will Verizon get the Bold? No one knows. A rep I spoke with said: 1) Thunder, nothing definite, but probably toward the end of the year; 2) Bold, no verified info, but probably not until after the Thunder.

Which would I choose? A Bold. I don't want a touchscreen for messaging. I did play with a new LG Dare - a pure touchscreen phone just introduced by Verizon. I thought it was MUCH easier to type on than the iPhones I've played with. I don't know why, but the LG implementation just 'feels' better.

For my wife? Maybe a Dare. Maybe a Voyager. If her phone will hold up long enough, maybe a Thunder. She hates the keyboard on my Curve, so I don't think a Bold will be much improvement for her.
    07-14-08 01:11 PM
    I'd pick the Bold over the Thunder. I'm not comfortable with touch screen technology and I'm a crazy text msg'r so I need keys that work.
    07-14-08 01:47 PM
    I love my iPhone so much, I would chose the BOLD.

The Thunder will not replace the iPhone, IMO and for that I would not get the Thunder. The fact that it's a Verizon exclusive is another
    07-14-08 02:17 PM
    since T-Mo's probably not getting the Bold, and it's going to be awhile before they get the Thunder (if they do)... I'm not sure what I'm doing. maybe stick with the Curve for now. it's not a bad phone. I just want the memory and faster proc speeds.
    07-14-08 02:36 PM
    Def the bold for me
    07-14-08 02:44 PM
    the bold is beautiful, but the thunder might win me over if its web-surfing abilities are safari-like
    07-14-08 03:01 PM
    it's the bold for me..
    07-14-08 03:56 PM
    Bold for me. The torture now is that to get the bold I was going to get a new contract for my wife in Sept, but now that I can get her a refurb curve for $1, I might just have to wait on the bold. Hurry up os4.5
    Stacey
    07-14-08 06:21 PM
    From what I understand about the Thunder it will have radios for both gsm/3g and cdma/3g and a simple unlock (And probably unbranded bb os) will allow you to use it on any American network.

That for me is tempting enough to take the Thunder over the Bold.

-Gabriel Six
    Last edited by emerys; 08-15-08 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Signature
    08-15-08 06:53 PM
    From what I understand about the Thunder it will have radios for both gsm/3g and cdma/3g and a simple unlock (And probably unbranded bb os) will allow you to use it on any American network.

That for me is tempting enough to take the Thunder over the Bold.

-Gabriel Six
    One of the smartest replies to this subject I've seen on this forum.
    Personally, I don't think you can really compare the two devices. Two totally different platforms, and two totally different markets.
    08-15-08 07:33 PM
    Bold over the Thunder. It is too new as of now...
    08-15-08 07:36 PM
    I will say in terms of the UI, the Thunder is alot better than the Bold. 4.7 is pretty nice. I think the Bold will excel in corporate areas with email, Docs2Go, BES, etc. I think the Thunder will do the same but in a different area/market; multimedia etc.
    08-15-08 07:48 PM
    I like the idea of a big screen. So I will be trying the thunder. You must have verizon here in the mountains of WNC. It sounds like a great new toy that will deliver e-mail like rim can do like no other and be great for multi-media. I can not wait to try it out at least for 30 days.
    08-15-08 09:12 PM
    Thanks J MC
    08-15-08 09:15 PM
    I love my iPhone so much, I would chose the BOLD.

The Thunder will not replace the iPhone, IMO and for that I would not get the Thunder. The fact that it's a Verizon exclusive is another
    I agree. I don't see the Thunder surpassing the iPhone... I love BB, but as far as a touch screen entertainment device - I would rather go with Apple.

08-17-08 07:49 PM
    You people really have no clue as to what you are even talking about. Have you actually seen the 9500 in person? Have you held it and taken pics, surfed the Web, made calls, etc? NO. So you cannot sit here and say that something is not going to replace anything when you haven't personally used the device. I am NOT saying that you are wrong OR right. But what you are saying cannot be proven yet. I guarantee you that the 9500 will take a lot of the market share for this type of device! And take quite a bit from Apple. This device is over 3 years in the making!! RIM has put a whole he'll l of a lot into this. And it's really going to blow most people away!! I'm not trying to start an arguement, but it's kind of foolish to say such things when you haven't even see much less used the device in which you are more or less bashing. And the only pics that have been published were of a very old OS. Anywho, that's my 2 cents.

08-17-08 08:26 PM
    i am definitely getting the bold, but thats cuz its gonna be coming soon. until i get some specific specs, info and see a release date for any other bb, then the bold is the only thing on my mind.

when the javelin or thunder drops, then i'll be able to compare.
    08-17-08 08:36 PM
    I'm definitely getting the Thunder...and not just because I have Verizon. I actually have both Verizon and ATT. I want the Thunder because it's different than anything that blackberry has ever offered, so it'll be cool to have something more unique. I also like some aspects of the Iphone, such as the Web browser, music and video player, and superb touch screen. I preferred the cut/paste, removable memory and battery of the blackberry, and basically everything else about the blackberry more than the Iphone. SO, if the thunder combines the great web browseing experience, great music and video player, and touch screen of the Iphone's caliber......then this would make the Thunder an almost perfect phone to me.
    08-18-08 09:17 AM
93 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD