EVERYBODY, I am not posting this to get people excited and what not BUT I just got off the phone with RIM and 11:48am August 18 2010 and was talkin to a rep for BB. The number I called was 1-800-327-9085 and spoke to the Business rep in option 1... I told her that I recently purchased a Storm 2 9550 and I was wondering do I have to purchase a new phone just to get OS6? I was told "NO, you do not need to purchase a new phone to get BlackBerry 6" I then asked "how so?" She said "as of right now, BlackBerry only has 4 phones compatible for OS6 and as soon as the software is released to your carrier, you will be prompted to update your Storm 2 9550 to the BlackBerry 6". I made sure to ask her over and over again will I be able to get OS6 and was told "yes". I wouldn't post a thing on here if it was pure lies. Im not sayin to do a back flip yet. Seeing is believing but at least there is somewhat of a light down that tunnel. Dont take ur Storm 2 off life support just yet. Lets keep an eye out.
    08-18-10 10:59 AM
    Is this the miracle we Storm2 owners are waiting for?
    08-18-10 11:05 AM
    I'd be cautious in expecting OS6 to perform well on the S2, given the memory issues. Look at all the problems owners of older iPhones and touchs have had with iOS4. I've got a touch and will not update the OS, as it's a "big bag of hurt" to quote S Jobs in his response to questions about the lack of Blu ray support for his products.
    08-18-10 11:14 AM
    I personally feel that each device compatible with OS6 will get a dedicated version to THAT specific device and will probably be built different to operate well with it but that's just me. Fingers will be crossed but I wont hold my breath for too long. Just a sign of hope gots me still clinging.
    08-18-10 11:20 AM
    i just want webkit. Bring it on.
    08-18-10 11:58 AM
    I just hope their business rep is smarter than most verizon reps...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-10 12:26 PM
    I hope this is true. Either way though, I believe we won't know until we know what's happening with S3.
    08-18-10 12:37 PM
    wait, you are believing what a VZW rep told you. You have lost all credibility now.
    08-18-10 12:47 PM
    wait, you are believing what a VZW rep told you. You have lost all credibility now.
    uh .. he said rim
    08-18-10 12:50 PM
    i was saying i hope the RIM Business rep is smarter, as in knows what the heck he/she is talking about, unlike most Verizon reps i've talked to. the OP talked to a RIM rep
    08-18-10 12:53 PM
    S2 is not getting OS6. I don't mean to pee in anyone's Cheerios, but its not happening. OS6 testing on S2 ended some time ago. S3 (S2.5 as in refresh only) will have OS6, but not much else. And despite a leak saying it will release in October, I would not hold my breath for this either.
    08-18-10 01:06 PM
    S2 is not getting OS6. I don't mean to pee in anyone's Cheerios, but its not happening. OS6 testing on S2 ended some time ago. S3 (S2.5 as in refresh only) will have OS6, but not much else. And despite a leak saying it will release in October, I would not hold my breath for this either.
    Imagine, you will never know. They
    could possibly make one for storm users. So stop doubting it like that. Everyone may get something good out of this. We just gotta wait for it. They are just giving it to certain smartphones for now until further notice. So I'm gonna have faith in the maker of this thread

08-18-10 02:01 PM
    Imagine, you will never know. They
    could possibly make one for storm users. So stop doubting it like that. Everyone may get something good out of this. We just gotta wait for it. They are just giving it to certain smartphones for now until further notice. So I'm gonna have faith in the maker of this thread

I know. But if you have faith that I am wrong - than how bout put some $$ where your faith is. $100 says Verizon does not release an OS6 for the S2 by Thanksgiving. In fact I'll open it up to the first 5 who want to take the bet. Pick any title company in the NY area, I will arrange for them to serve as escrow agent to hold the funds until Thanksgiving and deliver the funds to the winner.
    08-18-10 02:11 PM
    I do not see Verizon caring about the S2 anymore, they are all Droid now, we MIGHT have another carrier of the S2 getting or releasing the OS6...we "MIGHT". But I think Verizon do not care about the BBs no more...they want everybody to get Droids.
    08-18-10 02:39 PM
    Care to share with us the source of your definitive knowledge?

I do not see Verizon caring about the S2 anymore, they are all Droid now, we MIGHT have another carrier of the S2 getting or releasing the OS6...we "MIGHT". But I think Verizon do not care about the BBs no more...they want everybody to get Droids.
    We don't necessarily need Verizon to release it...
    08-18-10 02:46 PM
    I personally feel that each device compatible with OS6 will get a dedicated version to THAT specific device and will probably be built different to operate well with it but that's just me. Fingers will be crossed but I wont hold my breath for too long. Just a sign of hope gots me still clinging.
    RIM seems to have enough trouble coming out with ONE BB6, I can't see them wasting resources to program older models...especially if "refresh" models are coming out. I hope I'm wrong...BUT, this is RIM we are talking about!
    08-18-10 03:04 PM
    Lovin my new DX and froyo releases next month for it, already awesome the way it is, can't wait to see what it brings.

Sorry guys, couldn't help myself, after a Storm 1 right after launch and Storm 2 on launch day I just couldn't resist especially after waiting to see if OS 6 was gonna be available for the S2 and then another "sub par" device release, I thought I'd check the competition. Still have my S2 and if it does get 6, I'll be curious to see how it compares to 5, I think the only improvement will be the webkit browser, everything else is pretty much "bells & whistles".
    08-18-10 03:06 PM
    Care to share with us the source of your definitive knowledge?

We don't necessarily need Verizon to release it...
    No yeah I agree, I DO hope somebody IF it happens releases it.

Just sharing my opinion about Verizon being done with the S2.
    08-18-10 03:07 PM
    Correct. The wager should be whether s2 gets OS6 period not just that Verizon releases it.

I think they will withold it until after the launch of S3. That way they can make some good sales figures with the S3. I do think they will have a crippled down version.

08-18-10 03:11 PM
    She said "as of right now, BlackBerry only has 4 phones compatible for OS6 and as soon as the software is released to your carrier, you will be prompted to update your Storm 2 9550 to the BlackBerry 6".
    firstly to be clear im in no way saying your making this up, but sadly youve been mis informed (not ur fault), OS6 WILL NOT be released for the Storm2 (wish it would because i have one).

devices that will recieve OS6 are

1) 9800 Torch
    2) 9700 Bold
    3) 9650 Boild
    4) 9300 Curve 3G
    5) 9100/9105 Pearl 3G

there are of course several reasons behind this, firstly before anyone thinks im just making it up or whatever, it was offically announced by RIM at the launch of the Torch which current devices would support OS6, which was at the time the 9700, 9650 and 91xx. since then of course the 9300 has been released also. I was personally at the media event for the launch of the Torch in the UK, and this this information confirmed to me by people very high up in RIM (think the guy was VP for products in EMEA).

second reason from what i read (from cb and bbleaks) is purely the size of the OS, it seems the actual size is larger on the touchscreen due to the way the OS operates (virtual keyboard and input etc) so it would take up too much memory, im sure i read somewhere 280Mb for touch, but i could be mistaken.

Sadly whoever told you the storm2 would get OS6 is wrong
    08-18-10 03:21 PM
    well....... Grab my balls and call me Susie

08-18-10 04:00 PM
    Even if it does get 6, I'll wait to see how Odin acts with it before updating. 5's fine for me.
    08-18-10 04:23 PM
    well....... Grab my balls and call me Susie

LOL'd literally for some immature reason...

But im tempted to the call that RIM number and ask the same questions to another representative and see what they say.
    08-18-10 04:34 PM
    The SURE PRESS WILL get OS6.
    08-18-10 06:28 PM
    my bad on the RIM rep vs VZW rep. But either way i dont any carriers release it for the storm 2, you will have to rely on a leak. RIM cant assure that ANY carrier passes OS 6 for the Storm 2 either.
    08-18-10 08:32 PM
122 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD