Good morning,

We're excited to announce that our app, Hypoxia, is finally available for sale on the CrackBerry Store! (see app description in the store for all the details, screenshots, etc)

Hypoxia Media Player w/Wifi Streaming @ Crackberry App Store

Hypoxia's a full featured media player for BlackBerry Smartphones. For the first time on a BlackBerry Smartphone, you can now stream supported audio, and video to and from your home wifi network!

Hypoxia not only plays music and videos from your network over wifi, but it's also a Media Server capable of streaming to supported devices like Xbox360, Windows Media Player, another BlackBerry or even an Android Smartphone.

Twitter: Integrated Twitter support, to instantly share what you're watching, or listening to!

Full Skinning System: With Hypoxia's Skinning capabilities, you can change nearly every aspect of the look and feel of Hypoxia. Create your own, or choose a pre-made skin to suite your own personal tastes.

Features:
    > Wifi Streaming - Stream media to and from supported devices over wifi
    > Full Skinning System - Change nearly every aspect of Hypoxia's look and feel with downloadable Skins.
    > Twitter Integration - Share what you're listening to, or watching with Hypoxia in real-time on Twitter!
    > Message Notifications - Quickly preview incoming SMS, Email, and PIN notifications right inside Hypoxia.
    > Now Playing Playlist - Add songs, or video to the Current playing playlist
    > Album Artwork - Hypoxia will automatically display all Album Art from your songs' ID3 tag.
    > Audio and Video Playback - Support to playback audio and video media files in Full Screen, and Player modes.
    > Hypoxia PicShows - Create a custom slideshow of pictures, backed with your favourite audio tracks.
    > Keyboard Shortcuts - Many keyboard shortcuts to quickly change to Full-screen, Now Playing and more ...
    > Bluetooth Support - Stream your favourite songs to a connected Bluetooth device.

Here's some demo videos from our private beta:

More info at Hypoxia by mblware or you can follow us @HypoxiaPlayer on Twitter to stay up-to-date on everything.
    08-18-10 01:48 AM
    This looks like a sick app. I do have a question though. Does it allow you to stream movies with subtitles like .srt/.sub files to the blackberry device? If not do you plan on adding that feature in the near future?
    08-20-10 07:39 PM
    Can you only stream from WMP, or is there support for other players?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-10 10:14 PM
    I believe you can stream from tversity as well.

08-21-10 09:45 AM
    It would be great if this app could do scrobble to last.fm

08-21-10 03:59 PM
    It would be great if this app could do scrobble to last.fm

was just thinking that!

would be an amazing feature to have!
    08-22-10 08:34 AM
    I have this app. I find that it is still rather buggy when it comes to streaming FROM my Storm2 to another device. The software seems to hang/crash quite a bit whenever I stream FROM my phone. I must admit though, when Hypoxia was able to stream an avi file to my xbox 360, the video was unbelievably clear on my 50 in. screen! I was blown away. One other issue I had when I was connected to my xbox 360 was that a recently added avi didn't show up at all on my videos list in the Hypoxia server on the xbox 360. I tried restarting everything and that didn't seem to work either. Quirky!
    Streaming TO my phone from my windows network, the player is flawless! There was no significant delay when connected to my network. Choosing songs from the available listings was fluid and acted as if they were stored right on my phone.
    The main problems with Hypoxia seem to be in the java app that connects your phone to your pc. The Network Assistant application needs to be run on the client machine that you want to stream TO. It, quite often, becomes unresponsive. They mention that this happens with jre 1.6.0_20. They recommend that you update to the latest jre. I did that and, unfortunately, the same thing stilll happens.
    Another snag seems to be in scanning the sd card from within Hypoxia. I keep getting an error when doing that but, the media on my phone's sd card seems to make it into the Hypoxia database anywat.
    All in all, this is an awesome application. It is buggy. Hopefully, they will get the few remaining issues resolved soon.
    Last edited by jonkjon; 08-23-10 at 07:57 AM.
    08-23-10 07:51 AM
    I'll try to address your comments in order hope I don't miss any:

XBOX not updating:
    XBOX360's cache the file listings from devices, so what you're seeing is the XBOX using old results to try and create a faster user experience. Unfortunately nothing can be done on our end to change this right now. If you have an extra BlackBerry you can test and see that the listing will immediately update going BB to BB. Also if you hit F5 in windows media player it will refresh the contents and you will immediately be able to see newly added files.

Network Assistant:
    Oracle did break Java in some recent builds we're working to see if theres anything we can do to make the Network Assistant work flawlessly all the time. For now closing the network assistant and hypoxia then opening the Assistant, then Hypoxia should work. I know on our Vista box it works perfectly but on the Windows 7 box you have to restart sometimes. P.S. you can put the network assistant on ANY computer on the network. It's doesn't have to be on the computer you want to stream to.

SDCard Crash:
    Upgrade to build 370, this issue has been resolved. It turns out if other applications are running the blackberry can't handle the screen updates for the Scanner. This was an oversight and somehow got threw all our testing and 2 private beta programs. I guess people weren't running alot on their devices. But as I said has been resolved.

Also check support.mblware.com for FAQ and contact info.
    08-24-10 12:59 PM
    So there are a few things that I don't understand about the Hypoxia Media Player.

1. Can you stream music from iTunes or only using Windows programs?

2. Do I have to be at my house on the same network as my computer? Or can I be at a friends house and connect with their WiFi and access my music/videos on my PC at home?

3. Do I have to be connected to WiFi/bluetooth to use Hypoxia? Is it possible to stream from a 3G connection while not at my house?
    08-26-10 05:40 PM
    1. Currently iTunes is not supported. If you have media shared with Windows Media Player you can access it via Hypoxia. The popular media server software TVersity is also supported in this release.

2. To stream media to your phone, you can be connected to ANY wifi network that has the above supported media sharing setup. For example, if your friend has their WMP setup to share to all devices, or gives your device access, then when you connect to their wifi network and load Hypoxia, you would be able to browse and play their media.

3. Wifi/Bluetooth is not needed to use the app. Hypoxia is still a full media player. It does not currently support 3G, only Wifi.

Hope this clears things up a bit for you.

-chad.
    Last edited by chadtatro; 08-26-10 at 05:50 PM. Reason: typo
    08-26-10 05:49 PM
    Thanks for the speedy response Chad.

Do you know if iTunes and/or 3G streaming are features that will be included in the future?
    08-26-10 05:53 PM
    There's no plans to support streaming over 3g.

If you can use itunes over UPnP, then at some point we will add support for it.

I'm pretty sure there's an itunes plugin for TVersity though. Since TVersity can share your library via upnp over the network, then you should be able to access that share through Hypoxia.
    08-26-10 06:05 PM
    Thank you for the info!
    08-26-10 06:08 PM
    I sure hope I win this in the contest as I'm so broke at the moment and don't have a big memory card. Certainly sounds like an excellent application.
    08-27-10 12:31 AM
    If only there was a trial option...

It doesn't sort by track number. Really. It sorts by track title. I shouldn't have to make a freakin' playlist just to play an "album" in the intended order. This smacks of the crappy media players that were included with Motorola phones.

Hopefully it won't be too hard to get my $7.99 back. Their support seems to think that all the other features trump the fact that it can't do the simplest of things - sort by track number. Caveat emptor.
    Last edited by hytran; 08-27-10 at 11:06 AM.
    08-27-10 10:57 AM
    Hello hytran,

I was the lead developer for the project. You are correct that there is no sorting by track number. Firstly I'll explain why: track numbers are not part of basic media track formats. Track numbers are part of the ID3 data that may or may not be added to the track. In fact some formats don't even allow ID3 data to be present. So it's not a guarantee that information will be there. This is why it sorts by track name. An easy way to resolve this issue is to change the track name in Hypoxia. Note: this will not change the actual track name for the file, only in the database. I understand that some albums are meant to be played from front to back in order, and the songs tie in together. But in todays day and age most people have a bunch of tracks from different artists (Mostly the first and maybe second single put out). So it shouldn't be a case of having to renaming that many. The main focus of this player is it's ability to retain a running playlist that can be added to and re-sorted. As well as the media streaming capabilities. In future versions I will consider the pros and cons of implementing track order sorting.
    Last edited by tj_mblware; 08-27-10 at 12:18 PM.
    08-27-10 11:59 AM
    was just thinking that!

would be an amazing feature to have!
    thirded. If I knew anything about building an app, a last.fm audioscrobbler is the first thing I would make, just a tiny TSR app, is all that is needed. Why has it not been done is there something I'm missing here? Charge $1 a download, make millions!
    03-23-11 07:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD