So I have viewed lots of threads on how people are switching to Android and the like ... but I haven't seen too many major threads about people switching back.

I had the Droid X and switched to the Droid 2 and now am back with my Bold.

Everyone who says how awesome Android is, well your right the phones are rockin... BUT, I message more than I play games, apps or browse the net on my phone (I have my laptop for that)...

So I am curious on those people out there (and I know there is more than me) who switched back to 'berry's...
    I did because in a click or two I can be reading my mail, texts etc. On my Droid 2, I had to hit the button at the top, swipe it, click on the email then goto the inbox and open it...

So this isn't really a flame thread..or an argument thread...more of a curious type thread.

You can +1 to any thread whereby I hope RIM provides some more ...but if your someone who uses their phone for messaging, I haven't seen a viable replacement yet that can do it...
    08-16-10 11:29 AM
    I can definitely understand. Android does provide some of the aesthetic appeal that BlackBerry lacks. But, when I need USE the phone to accomplish something I don't grab for the Nexus One. I grab my 9700 or HD2. If I am leaving the house or work, the Nexus One doesn't get to come along. The other two do.

I am selling my phone on Craigslist...guess which One...
    08-16-10 11:39 AM
    I switched to the Droid X, and my texting/messaging has actually gone up from what I used to do with my Storm. Swype and Voice to Text make it easy to respond to anyone, be it on Gtalk, MMS, SMS, or e-mail. Then again, I switched to the Storm a couple of years ago, so touch typing on a screen really comes second nature to me. I have a couple of friends who love their G1s and OG Droids because of their physical keyboards, and others w/ BBs who say they will never switch. It's all up to your tastes and what you feel comfortable using, I guess.
    08-16-10 11:44 AM
    I switched from my Blackberry Pearl to the original iPhone, mainly due to not likely suretype and going with the apple hype! I came back to my blackberry for some very simple reasons, and simple things the iPhone should have done. Push emails, task app that synced with my mac and the ability to type a long text or email on a physical keyboard. I have since had 2 different curves and can't wait to upgrade to my next blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-10 12:04 PM
    BB and droid phones have "personalities" that are polar opposites. One is for serious communications, and the other is more a toy (game apps) and internet device (speedy browser, large screen on the D X). How someone who is pleased with one or the other, could also like the "other" is beyond me. they are marketed for different purposes, despite both being cell phones.
    08-16-10 12:57 PM
    I'm agreeing.. two different worlds. Now.. what to do with the Droid (suggestions please) I did a trial run
    with. Thank god I never got rid of my Tour.. JK
    08-16-10 01:44 PM
    I'm agreeing.. two different worlds. Now.. what to do with the Droid (suggestions please) I did a trial run
    with. Thank god I never got rid of my Tour.. JK
    ebay or craigslist?
    08-16-10 02:12 PM
    I switched back because of reliability. Android is cool... and making great strides... but I missed my BB.
    08-16-10 02:54 PM
    I have an iPhone 4 on my personal line, and just got the Torch on my business line... I think I like my Torch better when I only want to communicate. And the keyboard (in my personal experience) is just amazing. My iPhone 4 is used mainly to read ebooks and play games...
    08-16-10 03:01 PM
    I have an iPhone 4 on my personal line, and just got the Torch on my business line... I think I like my Torch better when I only want to communicate. And the keyboard (in my personal experience) is just amazing. My iPhone 4 is used mainly to read ebooks and play games...
    I just got to see the torch in person a few hours ago and liked how much better the slide action is on it, compared to the Pre. sadly, it was a mockup phone at a local mall kiosk, so I didn't get to kick OS6's "tires" yet. seems well built, IMO.
    08-16-10 03:50 PM
    Since I started the thread I will chime in again, and *bump* it...

With every post so far, I nod my head like "Yep, I 100% agree." I am SURE there are many more people who will post similar stories unless this thread dies out.

I read the stats, and see 200k android being sold a day etc. I just can't help but wonder how many people will be coming back. Again, NOT because Android isn't a good phone...but because at least right now, the battery is an issue and the ability to do the same thing as a 'berry in the same amount of time isn't there yet.

Interested to see what others have to say.......
    08-16-10 04:01 PM
    Hey everyone, long time creeper, first time poster. I've had the 8330 silver verizon curve, it was my first berry, more to a storm 1, then to a tour. Loved the tour but then got caught up in the droid frenzy. Got a droid, sold the tour. After 2 weeks of droiding I realized I missed the simplicity of a blackberry. To me the droid is a device for people who are more into gaming and running tons of apps than a person like me who emails, texts and surfs the internet occasionally. So I bought a 9530 curve. I know everyone considers it an entry level device but I love it, its great for what I need. I guess I'm just a typical blackberry lover. Not a droid hater, but those devices aren't for me.

08-16-10 05:03 PM
    Well it was good to get out of the Torch forum and see this. So much Torch bashing from Android and iphone users in there it's getting ridiculous. Apparently they are green with envy and feel the need to compensate.
    08-16-10 05:12 PM
    I have stayed with BlackBerry because I message. I typically run between 100 and 300 messages a day, and that's BlackBerry's forte. I manage my day to day life with it, and if I want to play, there are superior formats to a 4" screen to do it on.

BBM, Yahoo Messenger, emails, texts, etc.

Communication. So far, nobody does it better.

08-16-10 05:21 PM
    I see this alot, if you only use your BB for texting messaging and emails why not get a regular keyboard phone? save 30 bucks a month.

I switch to the X also but had a different perspective, I think it does everything better than my Bold. I also text alot but the use of swype is awesome.
    08-16-10 06:09 PM
    Because emails on a cheaper phone aren't as fast, easy and simple. I tried that with a samsung intensity, just isn't the same as a blackberry. Plus I don't have internet at my house, so I figured keep the blackberry for internet. For simpleness and ease I'm all for blackberry, for gaming, customizing and awesome browsing the droid was sweet. Especially when I got froyo os 2.2.

08-16-10 06:21 PM
    I see this alot, if you only use your BB for texting messaging and emails why not get a regular keyboard phone? save 30 bucks a month.

I switch to the X also but had a different perspective, I think it does everything better than my Bold. I also text alot but the use of swype is awesome.
    a "regular kb phone" doesn't have BBM. I think if you took a poll of all BB owners not using BB simply because they get a phone through their employment, you'll find that BBM is a major draw to the BB platform.

Feature phones also require additional fees at Verizon, as of last year.

Texting isn't "free" either--you have to pay $5 or $10, so the $30 fee for a BB shouldn't be compared to a "zero additional cost" phone plan.
    08-16-10 06:29 PM
    I upgraded to a Palm Pre Plus then took it back and paid the re stocking fee and got a Droid. After a month with the Droid I sold it on ebay and went back to my 8530. The android phone are all flash with a fast wab browser, but I found that my BB was better at getting things done.

I got tiers of constantly having to manage my app with task managers, not knowing if I closed an app or not. I missed the key bored and how easy it was to use one handed. The track pad works better then trying to push the right tiny spot on a touch screen. Spell check is something that the Blackberry does well. You don't have to download a third party app that is not fully integrated into all the messaging aspects of the phone. Push email is such a reliable method of receiving you emails. It also uses less batter when emails are pushed rather then pulled from the servers. The 8530 has big rubber media keys that make it easy to pause, play, and skip tracks on you phone without even having to look at it when you drive.

I can keep going on and on but my wife is demanding that I get off and pay some attention to here.

08-16-10 11:02 PM
    I wish there was a current model of BB that I could actually type comfortably on because I loved my Bold 9000, the keyboard was perfect for me. Now that I am on my Captivate, I find the Android Keyboard suits me perfectly as it feel pretty on par with the Bold 9000 Keyboard minus the actual button pushing feel. When I was running the curve, I did less texting then I did on the Bold 9000 and with my Captivate, I am typing even more and just as fast as typing on my Bold. I tried the 9700 and my hands cramped up like they did on the curve. Playing with the Torch, I could not type on the physical keyboard but the Touch screen KB was not too bad. Still did the same typing errors like I do on the Captivate lol but I did not like how the demo one I played with, lagged a bit more compared to what I am used to now.

Now I hope RIM gets a full touch screen phone that plays games better then the Captivate and any newer android phone, comfortable for my hands to type on and I would pay non-Contract price for that aspect!

HTH,
    Charlie
    08-16-10 11:05 PM
    Does Android have the same fault Win Mo does in not actually terminating apps after you exit them? I had a Win Mo 6.1 phone that had to be rebooted twice a day because apps kept eating huge chunks of RAM, only terminating themselves when they felt ready, or crashing and having to be terminated through Task Manager. If Android is like that, I don't want to be bothered.

With BlackBerry, you just hit the back key or Menu>Close to properly exit an app and you know it's actually terminated from the RAM. Why can't these other phone makers make phones that actually multitask as well as the Berry?

And no built-in spell checker? What was Google thinking with that one? The BlackBerry's spell checker works on all apps, even third party ones, checking my spelling on the fly! It's a feature I can't (and won't) live without.

It sounds like the Android is a good entertainment center, but as an actual communication device, it has some growing up to do.
    08-17-10 12:00 AM
    Same here, had some older Andriods in the mytouch3g and Cliq, lasted 1 month and took back to get my 9700...is funny as I am as much consumer minded as I am business, so most people think I am nutz when I say I get by fine on media functions and browsing on my Berry.

Nothing IMO has better communication abilities than BB...and honestly everything else works just fine.

Only thing I miss is a bigger screen. Would love a new Torch, but on TMobile and no funds to buy outright to unloclk to work on TMobile...so sticking with my trusty 9700...best phone I have ever had, and I have had a few...lol!

08-17-10 12:47 AM
    Same here, had some older Andriods in the mytouch3g and Cliq, lasted 1 month and took back to get my 9700...is funny as I am as much consumer minded as I am business, so most people think I am nutz when I say I get by fine on media functions and browsing on my Berry.

Nothing IMO has better communication abilities than BB...and honestly everything else works just fine.

Only thing I miss is a bigger screen. Would love a new Torch, but on TMobile and no funds to buy outright to unloclk to work on TMobile...so sticking with my trusty 9700...best phone I have ever had, and I have had a few...lol!

AT&T dropped the Torch's price didn't they.. Probably other carriers will follow?

Anw.. agree.. apart from some minor glitches, 9700 is a darn good BB =)
    08-17-10 05:05 AM
    Hahhaha.....my first bb is the famous bb 8520 (aka. Gemini).....then switched to nokia e63....I dunno why I switched my bb that time....maybe it has 3G and more multimedia app....(What about it...??? I'm only 14.... )
    Then I switched back to bb but the different type....9700....
    I swiitched back b'coz the unlimited data plan.....

08-17-10 05:29 AM
    Touch screen phobia, is there such a thing? I had 2 htcs in the past and a Storm 2 but yesterday I attempted to play with a friend's brand new HTC Wildfire android and every time I had it in my hand I would click into an app or something else I didn't intend to. After 2-3 tries I actually became afraid of using it and didn't wanna touch it anymore.

2 things, if I would buy an Android I don't think I would get any work done with all the games and trying to do anything in a panic with it would frustrate the **** out of me lol.

Wasted nearly an hour taking turns to play a game with my m8, it was one of those games where you control a ball on the screen by tilting it.

08-17-10 05:44 AM
    there are so many reason why I keep coming back to BB and one of them is BIS, it is far cheaper then getting other 3G data packages which is also very limited. Ive had far too many problems with WinMo, i had the iPhone for a good 12months until my contract expired and I had to choose from some pretty expensive and impractical price for data as low as 500mb so i ditched it and went back to BB...the list goes on...but ill stop here.
    08-17-10 06:47 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD