Well, I have stuck with Research in Motion as long as I possibly could. Their incompetence and lack of ingenuity has cost them yet another customer. Today I bought a used Motorola Droid off eBay, and let me tell you the reasons...

1. Blackberry's built in browser sucks. Bolt is OK, but it takes far too long to render and half the time it causes my phone to freeze requiring a battery pull
    2. The reboots take ridiculously too long. My Tour takes 16 minutes to reboot. Factory wiped, no apps no anything takes 16 minutes!
    3. The phones are cheaply manufactured. Take a look at how many Tours continue to have trackball issues even after being "factory re-certified". Let's not mention the lack of precision in the manufacturing process, leading to loose tolerances and loose components (battery door). A 50% return rate is not acceptable in ANY industry.
    4. RIM's "push" service is a joke. It takes me hours to get notifications at times. When I do get emails, I get twenty of them at once. The notion that Blackberrys are email devices is ridiculous. You can't email people when it takes 3 hours to get them. This happens at least once a week.
    5. BIS sucks. In the last 6 months, I have been without BIS for over a week total. Downtime for system maintenance is understandable, but not for hours at a time. Hey RIM, have you ever heard of redundancy? Take one server offline, do the maintenance and bring it back online, repeat for the back-up. People depend on your services for their livelihood, it isn't a frill or a toy.
    6. Lack of apps. Application development for the Blackberry is a disaster. Many programmers aren't willing to write apps for the Blackberry OS due to the steep learning curve.
    08-16-10 01:11 AM
    feel better now?

I don't have ANY of the problems you mentioned, other than I agree the BB browser bites. have fun with your new phone--I'm sure it's PERFECT.
    08-16-10 01:35 AM
    Well, Hate to see you lose your BB, but we as customers all have different uses for our phones. Many of the problems you state are probably more network issues more than cell phone issues.

I have an old 8330 curve and my track ball has never let me down. I average over 400 emails and 5000 texts a month on my Curve. No issues. My Email is instantanious and the net is quick on a IXEV 3G network. Again, slow net speeds are not the phones fault intirely. But depending on which BB you have, some have slower processors, but most that I have seen are slow due to the provider.

I just reboot my Curve for the heck up it, booted in 48 seconds. So 16 minutes? not sure what to tell you there.

The droid is a good phone, but I am not a big fan of slider phones. they ALWAYS have problems. So expect some in the future with the Droid. The Droid is a good Motorola phone and should last you a long time. I am on the fence for the HTC EVO. Soon as Sprint Gets more I will look into it.

I wanted the 9650 Bold at first, but $200 for it is outragous since you could get the tour for $100 a few months back. So SPRINT if your listening, drop the price, but either way they win cause they get my money either way. haha.
    08-16-10 01:37 AM
    feel better now?

I don't have ANY of the problems you mentioned, other than I agree the BB browser bites. have fun with your new phone--I'm sure it's PERFECT.
    I'm sure it isn't perfect. I don't like the physical keyboard on it, but I couldn't beat it for the price. As far as my problems, I got the Tour on launch day. Since I got it, I have had 3 replacements and all of them have the same issues mentioned above. Now that my phone is out of warranty, it isn't worth the hassle anymore. I'll be dammed if I am going to pay $100 deductible for a phone that is going to have the same issues 3 months down the road.

RIM's lack of innovation is a joke. The Curve and Bold are essentially the same phone. Same UI, crappy browser, apps.
    Well, Hate to see you lose your BB, but we as customers all have different uses for our phones. Many of the problems you state are probably more network issues more than cell phone issues.
    Cellco Partnership d/b/a Verizon Wireless, RSSI -80dBm. Everyone I know that owns a Tour has the exact same problems. Carrier doesn't matter, it happens on Sprint Nextel as well.
    Last edited by gotnoteeth; 08-16-10 at 02:17 AM. Reason: RSSI is expressed as dBm, not dBi... Duh!
    08-16-10 02:12 AM
    Good for you, OP. You bought the Motorola Droid not because you love the Droid, but because you hate your current BlackBerry so much.

I still don't understand why when people move onto a non-BlackBerry, they have to justify their non-BlackBerry purchase by bashing RIM.

Enjoy your new phone and MOVE ON. Sheesh...
    08-16-10 02:39 AM
    Good for you, OP. You bought the Motorola Droid not because you love the Droid, but because you hate your current BlackBerry so much.
    That should say something about RIM, shouldn't it? They made some terrible CDMA devices.
    I still don't understand why when people move onto a non-BlackBerry, they have to justify their non-BlackBerry purchase by bashing RIM.
    Yeah, it's too bad that RIM doesn't care and continues to produce garbage. Oh well, RIM will be irrelevant in the smartphone industry in 2 years.
    Enjoy your new phone and MOVE ON. Sheesh...
    I plan on it. I won't look back to their laggy, prehistoric interface, bluetooth that doesn't turn on, crappy time bomb trackballs or their poor quality assurance.
    08-16-10 02:48 AM
    I had a tour for a year and didn't experience any of your problems or any problems at all for that matter. Now I have a bold and guess what, still no problems whatsoever. Sounds like you have network issues where you live and/or you dont take care of your phone and thats why it runs bad. The people I know who have some issues with their phones (not just blackberrys) drop their phone constantly, get it wet, ect... Treat your phone good and it will treat you good. Not saying you dont take care of it but if you aren't then you should. Also remember, these are cell phones, not PCs.
    08-16-10 03:06 AM
    That should say something about RIM, shouldn't it? They made some terrible CDMA devices.
    Actually, it says a lot about you. But, I won't go into it as I believe you were headed to androidforums.com and the like.

Safe journey, friend.
    08-16-10 03:15 AM
    Well, I have stuck with Research in Motion as long as I possibly could. Their incompetence and lack of ingenuity has cost them yet another customer. Today I bought a used Motorola Droid off eBay, and let me tell you the reasons...

1. Blackberry's built in browser sucks. Bolt is OK, but it takes far too long to render and half the time it causes my phone to freeze requiring a battery pull
    2. The reboots take ridiculously too long. My Tour takes 16 minutes to reboot. Factory wiped, no apps no anything takes 16 minutes!
    3. The phones are cheaply manufactured. Take a look at how many Tours continue to have trackball issues even after being "factory re-certified". Let's not mention the lack of precision in the manufacturing process, leading to loose tolerances and loose components (battery door). A 50% return rate is not acceptable in ANY industry.
    4. RIM's "push" service is a joke. It takes me hours to get notifications at times. When I do get emails, I get twenty of them at once. The notion that Blackberrys are email devices is ridiculous. You can't email people when it takes 3 hours to get them. This happens at least once a week.
    5. BIS sucks. In the last 6 months, I have been without BIS for over a week total. Downtime for system maintenance is understandable, but not for hours at a time. Hey RIM, have you ever heard of redundancy? Take one server offline, do the maintenance and bring it back online, repeat for the back-up. People depend on your services for their livelihood, it isn't a frill or a toy.
    6. Lack of apps. Application development for the Blackberry is a disaster. Many programmers aren't willing to write apps for the Blackberry OS due to the steep learning curve.
    I have a feeling you'll be back within due time. I also, don't have any of the above mentioned, listed problems that you experienced or didn't have the patience to deal with. I'm very content with my blackberry and everything about it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Rootbrian; 08-16-10 at 03:53 AM.
    08-16-10 03:47 AM
    For those of you blaming the network, that isn't the problem. I baby all my electronic devices and I am an amateur radio technician so I know a thing or two about radios.

The Tour experiences all of the problems everywhere I go. Manhattan, Astoria, Brooklyn, Scranton, Newark, Toledo wherever. It randomly loses data connections (goes from EVDO to evdo or 1X to 1x), messages take hours to receive if I receive them at all. Most of them aren't related to network but those are totally unacceptable (loose battery cover, bluetooth not turning on, camera looking grainy, random reboots and long reboots).

The problem is with one phone in particular, yes but I feel RIM should stand behind their products and fix the problem, not just give you one that hasn't had it yet. Look at the Bold 9650. It is a revised Tour. They eliminated the trackball because of all the problems and revised the hardware. They should have done this with the Tour but they didn't. Instead they slap a new model number on it and call it a different phone, when in essence it isn't. Why do they do this, you ask? So they don't have to issue a phone without problems for warranty claims. The Tour was riddled with problems from day one. They didn't do anything to fix the problem with the original phone, instead they claimed to design a new one. That is my problem with RIM. Instead of fixing the root cause of the problem, they slap a new failure prone component on it and call it good as new.

They did the same thing with the Storm. They didn't address the root problem with the Storm. They did it with the Storm 2.
    08-16-10 04:11 AM
    I had a tour for a year and didn't experience any of your problems or any problems at all for that matter. Now I have a bold and guess what, still no problems whatsoever. Sounds like you have network issues where you live and/or you dont take care of your phone and thats why it runs bad. The people I know who have some issues with their phones (not just blackberrys) drop their phone constantly, get it wet, ect... Treat your phone good and it will treat you good. Not saying you dont take care of it but if you aren't then you should. Also remember, these are cell phones, not PCs.
    Why exactly did you get rid of your tour if it was so great? I certainly cannot justify the cost for wifi and a trackpad. There apparently was something you weren't happy with.
    08-16-10 04:18 AM
    Actually I didnt get rid of it, I gave it to my girlfriend who still uses it. I got a bold for the trackpad and OS6 compatibility. Wifis useless to me.
    08-16-10 04:50 AM
    While you're at it make sure you get a decent microfiber cloth. You'll be using it a lot.
    08-16-10 06:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD