Not going to go into any other details other than what you can see in this picture.

I can afford $700 but I dunno if it's worth it since I am just a normal guy and not some sort of blogger.

08-15-10 09:55 PM
    If you have $700 to spare and are willing to take a chance at a new toy before everyone then yes. But more than likely the PIN will get blocked (if it hasn't already) which will limit some of your functionality. Also RIM goes through multiple revisions of new devices before release. If this device ends up being an older rev you may not be able to load the latest OSs on them.
    08-15-10 09:59 PM
    That's what I figured. Guy said BBM is currently running smooth, no issues on that. Just not quite sure it is worth the risk but it would be extremely nice to have the device before everyone else.
    08-15-10 10:02 PM
    it will only be banned if the carrier or rim report it as stolen.
    and 700 seems pretty steep! i paid less than that and the tax here is 13%! lol
    08-15-10 10:09 PM
    it will only be banned if the carrier or rim report it as stolen.
    and 700 seems pretty steep! i paid less than that and the tax here is 13%! lol
    really? Well the tax really shouldn't matter. I am not buying it from a store haha
    08-15-10 10:22 PM
    Man I wish someone in the states had one for sale...
    08-16-10 02:35 AM
    mm I don't think I would. $700 is a lot to just throw away if you got and it didn't work. (i.e. blocked pin, what have you). That's just my .02 though. On a side note...when is it coming out????
    08-16-10 03:57 AM
    The PIN will not get blocked. There are current OS 7850 units being sold in Canada.
    08-16-10 05:42 AM
    Is that BBM message from someone you know? If it was random out of the blues, then forget it. Also I wouldn't even spend $700, wait another month and it'll be $450-500 depending. The PIN WILL be blocked if it's reported stolen.
    08-16-10 08:21 AM
    It's way too much...see if you can get it for around 550.
    08-16-10 11:03 AM
    The PIN will not get blocked. There are current OS 7850 units being sold in Canada.
    Yes, there is a very good chance the PIN will get blocked. The 9780 is not being sold through official channels in Canada. RIM has not even officially announced the device, the stores that are selling it have gotten their hands on it through other means and RIM could kill those PINs at any time. Mis-information can be dangerous.
    08-16-10 11:12 AM
    i will just wait for the official release.. no hassle.. no pressure..
    09-08-10 09:55 PM
    Less talking more buying. Then post pics lol.
    09-09-10 12:11 AM
    Yes, there is a very good chance the PIN will get blocked. The 9780 is not being sold through official channels in Canada. RIM has not even officially announced the device, the stores that are selling it have gotten their hands on it through other means and RIM could kill those PINs at any time. Mis-information can be dangerous.
    Sorry Sir, I do NOT agree. I have purchased MANY pre release RIM devices and have never had a PIN blocked. I got my 9780 yesterday and inserted my ATT SIM and all went good. Service books downloaded perfectly and in fact when I go to the ATT Wireless site, it actually lists my device as a 9780 Bold.

RIM blocking pins is more a rumor than fact. I have been doing RIM back in the 9XX days and have never seen a RIM PIN blocked. I am sure it happens if devices are like stolen from RIM but these devices like the one I got are out on the street with RIM's full knowledge.

You say: "Mis-information can be dangerous. "

I agree !

Last edited by greggebhardt; 09-09-10 at 05:44 AM.
    09-09-10 05:37 AM
    Sorry Sir, I do NOT agree. I have purchased MANY pre release RIM devices and have never had a PIN blocked. I got my 9780 yesterday and inserted my ATT SIM and all went good. Service books downloaded perfectly and in fact when I go to the ATT Wireless site, it actually lists my device as a 9780 Bold.

RIM blocking pins is more a rumor than fact. I have been doing RIM back in the 9XX days and have never seen a RIM PIN blocked. I am sure it happens if devices are like stolen from RIM but these devices like the one I got are out on the street with RIM's full knowledge.

I agree !

I totally agree. I myself have bought many previous pre-released items, such as the Bold 9000 and 9700 before it came out and they all worked perfectly. If RIM knows that these devices are out and doesn't care, as all it does is build up the hype and strengthen the reviews, so people are more likely to purchase them when they are released.
    09-09-10 06:13 AM
    Salomondrin has had some of his pins blocked on his prereleased devices

I agree !

09-09-10 07:01 AM
    Sometimes they get blocked, often they slip thru, but ALWAYS you are taking the chance. If you are ok with that, then get it.
    09-09-10 09:28 AM

I agree !

You can argue this point till the cows come home. Fact is, there is no right or wrong answer for this.

Does RIM know they are out there and some just go uncared about? You better believe it.

Does RIM also take the time to block certain devices based on certain reasoning? You better believe it.

The majority of pre release devices make it through their life unscathed, however there are instances where they do not.
    09-10-10 06:30 AM
    I can understand why you would want it! I know I do...If you have the money to gamble with and don't think you'll get ripped off, go for it! Be sure to let us know if it comes with the OS6 or if you install a leak. If you go with the leak, make sure you let us know how that goes! Pretty sure I remember seeing a leak a couple weeks ago for the 9650, it was only up about an hour before it got yanked, but it's out there, if you can find it.
    09-10-10 08:07 AM
    Be sure to let us know if it comes with the OS6...
    What did you expect it to come with?
    09-10-10 08:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD