Love my Torch, but RIM sure got skimpy with the ring tones! There's like hardly any in this OS. All my previous Crackberrys came with many. I miss a lot of them. Like the classic alarm clock that used to wake me up on my Bold 9700. Another area of skimp is no case is included. That just plain blows.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-10 09:40 PM
    RIM will include the accessories the carrier is willing to pay to have included. Canada carriers will typically sell devices with the standard hip carrier included. I know my Bold 9000 had it, my Storm 2 had nothing. I did not care since I bought it an Otterbox anyways, but I use the 9000 case for it most of the time. Dont blame the lack of goodies on RIM.
    08-15-10 09:43 PM
    sorry MM, not a very good response. Everyone knows a new device takes time to get new accessories made and there is inventory control, shipping.... But we are talking alarm tones, not at all the same thing. There is no excuse skimpin here - but is it RIM or AT&T that is skimpin.
    08-18-10 12:22 AM
    Are these tones standard on these phones or just on the previous device you've used. If its standard then thats quite odd. Having said that, how easy is it to get these tones from another 'source'? otehrwise, its a lot trouble for something so easy to include.
    08-18-10 12:41 AM
    Just passin' through, but this thread caught my attention. I noticed a drop in ring tones when I went from a S1 to an S2. I think I found one of those old tones, for sale on VZW's site...that was an insult!

We all get accustomed to certain ring tones and unless there's some licensing fee that would would have to pay, there's simply no reason not to include them from one device to another.
    08-18-10 12:49 AM
    One the note about the missing ring tones, Yea they skimped a lil,but how many people actually used all those ring tones, and look how much more the phone includes. If you want it just download the tone and use it..or any other song/sound you like...

And as for a case, they aren't making a lot on the phone. The break down says it cost about $177-180 to make each Torch. So there isn't a lot of profit there, and that's before price cuts. So they had to save somewhere. Would I like one free, sure, but I'll take a better phone instead of a free case anyday
    08-18-10 12:50 AM
    One the note about the missing ring tones, Yea they skimped a lil,but how many people actually used all those ring tones, and look how much more the phone includes. If you want it just download the tone and use it..or any other song/sound you like...

And as for a case, they aren't making a lot on the phone. The break down says it cost about $177-180 to make each Torch. So there isn't a lot of profit there, and that's before price cuts. So they had to save somewhere. Would I like one free, sure, but I'll take a better phone instead of a free case anyday
    Um.... The $200 dollar price you paid for the phone was after subsidy, before subsidy the device cost around $500, and that is how much rim got paid for the phone. So there is like $300 extra, now not all is profit because ther is still r&d costs and marketing and stuff but I don't think the margin is a small as you think.
    08-18-10 01:58 AM
    Love my Torch, but RIM sure got skimpy with the ring tones! There's like hardly any in this OS. All my previous Crackberrys came with many. I miss a lot of them. Like the classic alarm clock that used to wake me up on my Bold 9700. Another area of skimp is no case is included. That just plain blows.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I miss my old "end of the world, hurry up and save yourself" alarm tone from my 9700/9000 as well.... I use "morning blues" on my 9800. Eventually it'll get really loud and wake you up, just set it a minute earlier!

Edit: Evolving Dream eventually turns into the regular alarm sound as well, set this one 2 minutes earlier, though! lol
    Last edited by TrueHappiness; 08-18-10 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Added info!
    08-18-10 03:50 PM
    The sounds are out there for download on the internet, for free. I'm sure some searching (or checking the Palm Pre forums) will turn them up. I missed my BB sounds when I got my Pre, so I downloaded them, and then loaded them on the Torch when I got it.
    08-18-10 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD