Ok I have noticed that on the Torch the text tone is the same for everyone even if you assign a ringtone and tone for message for a contact. Before on the 9700 when you received a text, e-mail whatever tone was assigned to that contact came through. I guess that feature is gone.
    08-15-10 05:21 PM
    I have been trying since Friday to get the text tones working for contacts. I must be dense or something lol.
    08-15-10 06:31 PM
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong then...
    Hmm gonna have to think on this for a while.
    My friend has Gnarls Barkley in the past as his ringtone and message tone on my 9700. But no longer will it ring as Gnarls Barkley for texts although it's set up for message that way on my Torch. Frustrating.
    08-15-10 07:50 PM
    I cannot get the message tones to work either. Even when I hit "try it" it just vibrates. I gave up on it for now even though I loved that feature. I have a bunch of drum fills I ripped from random bands and used them to seperate out important personal contacts and work contacts. No matter what I did, it went to the default tone. I went through a lot of different settings to get this to work and had no luck. BeRich, you're lucky!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-10 10:19 PM
    Initially, my Torch retained all my contact alert settings from my 9700, but yesterday, they disappeared and I had to reconfigure them all.
    08-15-10 11:32 PM
    i don't have this problem.
    when i synced for the first time.. i did a restore from my Bold 9000.
    so all the special ringtones for calls and SMS etc for every contact
    was carried over to the torch.

08-15-10 11:44 PM
    Yeah BeRich that was the first thing I tried, I have the same issue with every contact. Gonna continue to chew at it.
    08-16-10 03:56 AM
    You may want to check if the actual ring tones are in the correct folder on the media card. I did not restore from my bold, but did copy (not DM sync) the previous ring tones to the blackberry/ringtones folder.
    08-16-10 05:44 AM
    I finally got it to work, and here is what I learned:

If anything under the "messages" menu in your ring profiles is set to vibrate or silent, the custom tones will not work properly. I tested this by flipping it back to vibrate on the one email account. Same problem. Turned it back to a volume of 1, and the custom tones work again. Wish I had thought of this earlier.

I also deleted and restored my address book just to make sure it transfered right. I took out the 9700, deleted all custom tones, then backed up only the address book. deleted everything off my torch for contacts, then restored from the 9700 address book back up. You may not have to do this, but I did. Also, I moved the ringtones from the memory card to the internal memory, and I thought that was it. It wasn't becuase the phone tone was still working! This has been a confusing experience for me.

When I switched over from the 9700 the first time, it said it carried over my profiles and custom contact sounds, but it never worked properly. I have tried so many things and the above is all that worked, but it works. Turns out that having that one email account set to vibrate interfered with everything.
    08-16-10 08:51 AM
    Gonna try this. Hope it works,getting frustrated.
    08-16-10 11:32 AM
    No a fix for me (so far) !
    08-16-10 11:42 AM
    I have message tones assigned to most of my friends , as already posted assigned phone and message tone ( usually the the same for the contact ). Well when the phone rings (right tone) when I get an e-mail from that contact (right tone) when I get a text, it rings to default tone for all of them. So I am giving up,I'll just deal with the one tone for all my text messages.
    08-16-10 01:41 PM
    After I did what I said earlier, it worked for about ten minutes. Now I only get the assigned tones for email. Still default for the text. I'm out of ideas, because nothing I have done has worked.

Be rich, if you see this thread again, are the custom tones working for text messages on your torch, too? I'm at another roadblock with this.

Otherwise, my phone works great. This just makes me look at my phone more often instead of ignoring it. .

08-16-10 02:30 PM
    Custom tone alerts seems to work for me for both phone & texts. Did notice even on regular ring profile if it set to ring AND vibrate it will only ring once instead of continuous until it reaches voicemail
    08-16-10 02:48 PM
    Bump. Anyone get an answer for this?
    08-16-10 09:07 PM
    I am having this issue as well. Does anyone have a solution yet?
    08-24-10 11:14 AM
    I found on mine that if the contact number has any extra characters in it (I.e. Parenthesis, spaces, dashes) then the custom message tone doesn't work. Take them out and it worked fine.

08-24-10 01:49 PM
    That is correct, removing the dashes xxx-xxx-xxxx to xxxxxxxxxx will work. There is another thread confirming this fix.
    08-24-10 03:32 PM
    That has been driving me nuts since I got my Torch. Taking out the dashes worked like a charm. Thanks!!!!
    09-04-10 07:54 PM
    Not sure if im in the right spot to post but..

I have set tones for a specific contact when i get calls or text messages and i have my default tone for texting/vm notification, but every now and then when i get a voice mail it plays the text tone that i have assigned to that contact.. is there any way to fix this to get it to play the correct alert??
    09-05-10 10:37 PM
    Not sure if im in the right spot to post but..

I have set tones for a specific contact when i get calls or text messages and i have my default tone for texting/vm notification, but every now and then when i get a voice mail it plays the text tone that i have assigned to that contact.. is there any way to fix this to get it to play the correct alert??
    you need to go back to phone settings.. sounds.. and configure that..
    as you can see, you can actually have different alerts for every email that you have..
    so for the voicemail.. you can change that too..
    09-05-10 10:43 PM
    you need to go back to phone settings.. sounds.. and configure that..
    as you can see, you can actually have different alerts for every email that you have..
    so for the voicemail.. you can change that too..
    I know that and i have a separate tone for the voice mail(text)..my problem is that it doesnt play the one i have assigned to it, instead it plays the tone for the text alert for one of my contacts
    09-05-10 10:46 PM
    ok gotcha!
    before saving the changes that you've made.. have you "try" it? you know the option to try it ( the green icon) at the end?
    the thing is, if the tone you assign.. is missing... or have been deleted... then it will play something else..

anyway, it sounds more of a software issue..
    but on my end... i don't have this problem..
    but i did encouter one when the mp3 song that i assigned to an email was no longer there..( i deleted it during sync) the email played a different sound.
    09-05-10 11:01 PM
    Yes, ive hit the "try" option and the tone is an mp3 thats still in my phone. Its just weird cause when i receive texts from contacts that i dont have alerts assigned too it plays the correct tone, Just only when i get the vm notification it plays the wrong one lol
    09-05-10 11:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD