Hey everyone --

I just got a BlackBerry Bold 9650 after going through 2 DROID X's. I returned the Droid X both times because the build quality and OS were very buggy and unreliable.

My issue is that now I have my brand-new 9650, which is my 2nd-ever BlackBerry. I had an 8330 before the Droid X. And, the phone is extremely laggy & slow some times. I am right now running OS .732 from Verizon. I have a 16GB microSD card with all kinds of media on it. I can figure out how to fix the speed issues with this device, and I cant return it -- I am stuck with this device until my 2 year upgrade date in 2 years.

Please let me know what you think that I could do to fix this -- its not all the time though, just sometimes. Generally it is not that bad.

Thanks so much in advance!!
    Last edited by stkxppro; 08-15-10 at 11:23 AM.
    08-15-10 11:21 AM
    Please explain what exactly is laggy. There are several things to try.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-10 11:25 AM
    Please explain what exactly is laggy. There are several things to try.

By "laggy" I mean that, for instance, when I go to move the cursor in the browser via the trackpad, it takes a few seconds for the cursor to move. Or, when in UberTwitter, I try scrolling, it takes a few seconds for it to actually start moving.

Is that a good explanation?
    08-15-10 11:28 AM
    Are you running a lot of apps? How about doing a battery pull.

08-15-10 11:42 AM
    I noticed the same thing on mine. You might want to just take it easy for a while. I'm all for being picky when it comes to your smartphone but this is a mild software issue that is probably already taken care of on newer beta-builds. If you like the hard-set features like the build quality of the physical device and the way it feels in your hand then keep it and start looking at the beta OS's out there or just work with the issue until an official update is released. That's my advise, especially since this seems to be a "normal" thing for the current OS.

08-15-10 11:52 AM
    I've been running .732 for two months and I haven't noticed any lagging.

08-15-10 11:55 AM
    Are you running a lot of apps? How about doing a battery pull.

I have done a bunch of battery pulls, it does make it better sometimes. Once it starts up, though, it is slow until everything is going, I guess.

As for apps, I am only running UberTwitter, Seesmic, PodTrapper, The Weather Channel, FourSquare and Google Maps, Google Sync. The only one that is usually running is UberTwitter. The other ones I close when I am done.

I have even done factory resets and full data wipes but once the phone starts up again, it is laggy until it starts up, kind of like a windows computer. It is slow when you first turn it on but once everything is done opening up, its ok.

08-15-10 12:04 PM
    I'd say load the alltell OS .810, and then give it a few days to settle down. Mine was really slow the first couple days too, but it's better now. If only my battery life would improve lol.
    08-15-10 12:05 PM
    I noticed the same thing on mine. You might want to just take it easy for a while. I'm all for being picky when it comes to your smartphone but this is a mild software issue that is probably already taken care of on newer beta-builds. If you like the hard-set features like the build quality of the physical device and the way it feels in your hand then keep it and start looking at the beta OS's out there or just work with the issue until an official update is released. That's my advise, especially since this seems to be a "normal" thing for the current OS.

Ok -- as long as it is not a hardware issue, I am happy. I am pleased with the build quality of the device and everything else. Its just the lagging that is bugging me.

08-15-10 12:06 PM
    I'd say load the alltell OS .810, and then give it a few days to settle down. Mine was really slow the first couple days too, but it's better now. If only my battery life would improve lol.
    Ok -- that is what I will do. Later today, Ill load on the Alltel .810 OS and see how it is.

Thanks

08-15-10 12:08 PM
    I've have notice. That more batt pulls do not mean better. Let the phone settle. I do the hold the ALT key type LGLG. And clear the log. Plus clear my browser history. That seems to help a lot. I do a batt pull every three days or so. Running dripthers DV12 hybrid. And the phone flies. Have fun with your new bold you'll fined the combo that works good.

08-15-10 12:19 PM
    i agree with just letting it settle down.

i got my bold last week, and i almost returned it due to this same issue, it would just simply lock up and freeze for 5-10-15sec randomly when i would put load on the system. i tried everything. updated to .810 and it did the same thing.

i upgraded
    formatted my sd card
    cleaned up programs i didnt use
    and finally just used it

and well it sucked for the first 3-4 days but now its great, no longer freezes or anything.
    08-15-10 12:35 PM
    I'm kinda curious what everyone means by closing the programs that aren't being used and how do you close them when your not using them, because my bold is lagging alittle also and I have noticed that it doesn't hold as good of signal. My tour held alot better signal then my bold which I just got 2 days ago.
    08-15-10 07:29 PM
    I got the Bold 4 days ago and was having that issue. Give it a few days to settle. My Bold is working perfectly now.

08-15-10 07:41 PM
    closing out means clicking on the menu key and select close not keeping the apps open if you just leave the app and not do a close it is still running
    08-15-10 08:32 PM
    ok how do you find out what programs are open
    08-15-10 08:37 PM
    Got my Bold on Monday and had a little lag for the first couple days and then it just settled down. Running very smooth now and I love the phone. I did a couple battery pulls but that didn't fix it, seems it kinda fixed itself.
    08-15-10 08:45 PM
    What do you guys mean when you say let the phone settle down?
    08-15-10 09:58 PM
    What do you guys mean when you say let the phone settle down?
    Yea what do u guys mean?

08-15-10 10:22 PM
    When you first install on OS, it does lots of transmissions with the server (bis or bes) and has to work to save everything to the device memory, organize the data, etc. So there's a lot going on. After a few days, that stuff will mostly all be done, and your phone will run better.

Edit: oh, and you can see what apps are open by holding alt and pushing the back key.
    08-15-10 10:26 PM
    For what it's worth...
    I'm a new bb owner also. The Verizon store where I obtained it recommended I run an ap called QuickPull. I got Quickpull free from the bb ap site. I haven't noticed any of the symptoms that you mentioned.
    Good luck..mike
    08-15-10 11:03 PM
    For what it's worth...
    I'm a new bb owner also. The Verizon store where I obtained it recommended I run an ap called QuickPull. I got Quickpull free from the bb ap site. I haven't noticed any of the symptoms that you mentioned.
    Good luck..mike
    Sounds like a battery pull option to actual pulling. Left alt, right shift, + delete also works well and no app needed. I do it every morning for a boost.
    08-15-10 11:33 PM
    I had problems on the Verizon Bold 9650.... I have a sprint 9650 now and no issues..

I would say load the new Alltel Firmware .810 on it will surely speed things up.
    08-16-10 10:19 AM
    I had problems on the Verizon Bold 9650.... I have a sprint 9650 now and no issues..

I would say load the new Alltel Firmware .810 on it will surely speed things up.
    This makes no sense. My vzw 9650works great. Let the phone ( OS ) settle in for a few days. Only do a batt pull if needed. There's no difference between a sprint 9650 and a vzw 6950. Just the official OS by carrier. The 810 isn't much better than the 732.

08-16-10 12:59 PM
    6950 5690 0956 9650 you know what I mean!!

08-16-10 01:03 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD