So i've been wondering for awhile, as i've been using it, what is the difference between Tetherberry and the desktop manager Tether?

I pay the standard phone charges, then the standard 30 bucks a month Verizon internet plan....and i've never seen any added charges while tethering (To my knowledge I guess)

Now I don't do any MAJOR data, like I would never download music or movies while Tethered, but I was wondering, is there supposed to be an extra charge? How does this work?
    08-14-10 03:10 PM
    Tetherberry tricks the telcos by showing that you're using data regularly like when you access the browser instead of showing that you're connected to a device which usually is an extra cost.

For example:

- If you have a 500 MB plan and want to tether to a laptop, you have to pay an extra fee to do that (which is robbery btw)
    - Tetherberry masks that you're actually tethering to a laptop thus making you not have to pay the extra charges.
    08-14-10 03:27 PM
    yea i believe the above is correct. it doesnt reflect as tethering on the carriers end.
    08-14-10 04:11 PM
    Not sure about Verizon, but with T-Mobile, you get free unlimited tethering via DM. With the unlimited BB data plan of course.
    08-14-10 04:43 PM
    And as some threads will point out - with Verizon, you may be violating terms of service and if they catch you, you could face back billing. With that many still do it and at one time, verizon's own sale-store had it listed as top-ten but they no longer offer it.
    08-14-10 07:31 PM
    Not sure about Verizon, but with T-Mobile, you get free unlimited tethering via DM. With the unlimited BB data plan of course.
    are you sure about that? like they actually say "feel free to tether" or is it you just havent been caught.
    08-14-10 07:33 PM
    are you sure about that? like they actually say "feel free to tether" or is it you just havent been caught.
    No, TMobile allows unlimited tethering. Up to 5gb lol.
    Every other carrier I know of charges you to tether (Sprint doesn't even allow it on their everything data plans).
    08-14-10 08:31 PM
    Without a doubt. T-Mobile allows it. I probably end up paying for it in the long run anyways, but it is included "for free" in the unlimited BB plan.
    08-14-10 08:40 PM
    well thats interesting.
    08-14-10 08:43 PM
    The publishers are well aware their product violates most carriers TOS and AUP.

From their website:

Allocation of Risk. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU MAY INCUR ADDITIONAL CARRIER COSTS, AND THAT YOUR PLAN MAY BE TERMINATED BY YOUR CARRIER FOR VIOLATION OF YOUR CARRIER�S FAIR USE POLICY OR TERMS OF SERVICE. BY USING ANY MATERIALS OR PRODUCTS YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND ACCEPT, THAT YOU HAVE READ, UNDERSTOOD AND AGREE TO THE DISCLAIMERS CONTAINED IN THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT.YOU AGREE THAT THE ABOVE WARRANTIES AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY REFLECT THE ALLOCATION OF RISK AMONG THE PARTIES AND THE PRICE OF THE SOFTWARE.

Also see http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/omg...ry-use-190239/
    08-15-10 01:40 PM
    So, if I'm officially tethering through Desktop Manager (Not Tetherberry) and i've only done it twice to pay bills on the road, any idea of what kind of charge i'm going to receive?
    08-15-10 02:11 PM
    I wouldn't think it would be more than $15, since that is how much a tethering plan costs with VZW. Just an educated guess, could be wrong.
    08-15-10 02:14 PM
    Seems like they should have supplied the TOS directly on it instead of linking to it.

I don't know...just seems like it was too easy to get charged on that one.

With the prices, as others have said, it should be part of the plan.
    08-15-10 02:18 PM
    So, if I'm officially tethering through Desktop Manager (Not Tetherberry) and i've only done it twice to pay bills on the road, any idea of what kind of charge i'm going to receive?
    They probably won't even notice if it was just twice to pay bills.
    08-15-10 09:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD