Hi everyone, I'm new to blackberry, the torch is the first blackberry I�ve used, so sorry if some of this may be obvious to you. I'm having trouble setting up e-mail on the phone. When I go to set-up, then e-mail accounts, it then asks for my email and activation password, but after entering the information it never activates. I looked on the AT&T site for the tutorial and it says that after I click the e-mail accounts icon I should get the option to choose either personal Internet email accounts or corporate email, but I never get that option. I don't know if maybe that has something to do with it or not.

Also when I get a text message with either an address, it gives me the option to locate on map or get directions to, however every time I choose one of those options, it fails. I downloaded Google maps thinking maybe it was because I had no mapping installed, but same thing happens. I also signed up for AT&T telenav, but I can't seem to find it in the app store. Is there specific map/navigation software I need to download to enable those options from text messages? Where can I find them?

I'm digging the torch so far other than struggling with those two issues. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
    08-13-10 06:26 PM
    Hi everyone, I'm new to blackberry, the torch is the first blackberry I�ve used, so sorry if some of this may be obvious to you. I'm having trouble setting up e-mail on the phone. When I go to set-up, then e-mail accounts, it then asks for my email and activation password, but after entering the information it never activates. I looked on the AT&T site for the tutorial and it says that after I click the e-mail accounts icon I should get the option to choose either personal Internet email accounts or corporate email, but I never get that option. I don't know if maybe that has something to do with it or not.

Also when I get a text message with either an address, it gives me the option to locate on map or get directions to, however every time I choose one of those options, it fails. I downloaded Google maps thinking maybe it was because I had no mapping installed, but same thing happens. I also signed up for AT&T telenav, but I can't seem to find it in the app store. Is there specific map/navigation software I need to download to enable those options from text messages? Where can I find them?

I'm digging the torch so far other than struggling with those two issues. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
    Try this site to set up your email https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular
    08-13-10 06:59 PM
    Try this site to set up your email https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular
    Tried that site, it says my phone isn't registered with my carrier and to go into settings, host routing table and to register. I've sent the registration message several times since last night, and went back to the website but still says the same thing.
    08-14-10 10:47 AM
    Call your provider, sounds like an issue with them.
    08-14-10 11:25 AM
    That's weird. I just walked quickly through what you said you did and I get the exact screen that AT&T says you should get. I have already set up BES and Yahoo email and both worked just like you're being told they should. However, I used the desktop software to transfer data and settings from my old BB to my new one. Exchange email has to be configured for the new one manually, but the Yahoo account was there automatically. Maybe if you are starting from scratch with no old BB settings transferred to your Torch it functions differently. Drop by the AT&T store and ask for a little help. It will be an easy fix for sure.
    08-14-10 11:43 AM
    Yup, it was my account. Went in and they fixed it, now everything is running smoothly. Thanks.
    08-14-10 12:59 PM
    With your maps problem, the issue here isn't with RIM, it's the artards at AT&T. A few years ago, some corporate ID10T at AT&T decided that BlackBerry Maps (preinstalled on all 'Berrys) was sucking money they could be collecting at 9.99 a month for their (imho inferior) TeleNav based Navigation service. Once that happened, AT&T 'Berrys stopped being able to access Maps, no warning, nothing. The OS is exactly the same as other carriers, so no functionality is different. The relevancy in this is that when you tell your Torch to get directions or show on map, the phone attempts to use the BlackBerry Maps service. Unfortunately, since us AT&T users can't use the service, the phone gives an error message. When you get AT&T Maps installed, it *may* work, but I don't know b/c I'm not paying my carrier an extra $10/month for an inferior product when I can get something better for free. Best bet would be to copy addresses and paste them in Google Maps, that's what I do.
    Last edited by Jademara; 08-14-10 at 03:10 PM. Reason: got censored ><
    08-14-10 03:03 PM
    This site has a step by step showing, pictures included:

Let me google that for you
    08-14-10 03:17 PM
    This site has a step by step showing, pictures included:

Let me google that for you
    thanks, but the problem wasn't that I was setting it up wrong, it was that at&t didn't put me on a blackberry data plan, so thats why it didn't work. Thanks though.
    08-14-10 09:36 PM
    Ok, just a few more questions. And yes I tried a google search and searched the forums.

When I receive an address via text message, I'm given an option to navigate to that address and when selecting that address I'm taken to BlackBerry maps with the route highlighted. Any way to make this shortcut jump to AT&T navigator instead? I like the 3D turn by turn navigation better and would prefer using this instead of blackberry maps for navigation.

Is there any way to have your recent call log found in the phone app include missed calls? Is there any other way of seeing your missed phone calls other than in the messaging app?

Is there a way to set up e-mail so that showing the images is the default? Right now I have to select that option every single time I open up an e-mail. And ihave the option selected to download images automatically but they still don't show up until I select get images from the menu.

Thanks again for all your help.
    Last edited by fernandez21; 08-15-10 at 11:21 PM.
    08-15-10 09:22 PM
    Call AT&T, they have to add your IMEI to their system. Once they do that you will be able to set up everything from the phone.
    08-15-10 09:51 PM
    Figured out the missed call thing, but still having troublebwith the other 2.
    08-16-10 11:26 AM
    Ok, just a few more questions. And yes I tried a google search and searched the forums.

When I receive an address via text message, I'm given an option to navigate to that address and when selecting that address I'm taken to BlackBerry maps with the route highlighted. Any way to make this shortcut jump to AT&T navigator instead? I like the 3D turn by turn navigation better and would prefer using this instead of blackberry maps for navigation.

Is there a way to set up e-mail so that showing the images is the default? Right now I have to select that option every single time I open up an e-mail. And ihave the option selected to download images automatically but they still don't show up until I select get images from the menu.

Thanks again for all your help.
    2 things - one, for your email messages, go to the messages app, then options -> Email Preferences -> check "Download Images Automatically", uncheck "Confirm External Image Download", that should fix your problem. Second, how did you get BlackBerry Maps working? I haven't been able to use mine on any device for years!
    08-16-10 12:34 PM
    2 things - one, for your email messages, go to the messages app, then options -> Email Preferences -> check "Download Images Automatically", uncheck "Confirm External Image Download", that should fix your problem. Second, how did you get BlackBerry Maps working? I haven't been able to use mine on any device for years!
    Thanks, I'v done that but it still doesn't download the images unless I click the option.

As for blackberry maps, on an adress I just click the option to "view on map" or "navigate to" and it opens blackberry maps from there. However I would like it to open at&t navigator instead if anyone knows how.
    08-16-10 10:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD