I'm finding that when I set a recurring reminder, the reminders don't recur. I've set up several test tasks with remiders set to recur daily, but they're coming up just once -- on the first day that they're set to come up. Am I missing a setting or is it a bug?
    08-13-10 05:46 PM
    I don't like the tasks app. Use your calendar. Works perfectly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-10 09:55 AM
    I hear what you're saying, but I like the task feature. I just wish it would perform as reasonably expected.
    08-14-10 01:11 PM
    Okay, I'm gonna work through this. I think maybe I've been doing this wrong. I've been thinking that the "due" date is the date the task should be completed, setting said date far off in the future, and wondering why recurrence reminders are not coming up. It seems the "due" date might actually be the date the task is to start in which case the "recurrences" would be daily, weekly, or monthly notifications of tasks once they are in progress. I suppose the "reminder" which I've been treating as the first "recurrence" is simply a one-shot reminder that a task is about to start soon. Thus, I have made some test tasks to see if now I'm doing it right.
    08-14-10 03:08 PM
    UPDATE:

After some searching around on line, I finally learned how to get a task to recur. It's necessry to mark the task "completed" when the notification reminder pops up. Doing so will set a new task and a new notification reminder to pop up at the next recurrence event on the calendar. I'll run some more tests and report back if I find any anomalies.
    08-16-10 11:54 PM
    It seems to me that the calendar is so infinitely easier to set up for what you are trying to do. Setting up recurrences in the calendar is really simple. You may want to try that. It sounds like if you do it your way and you forget to cancel the task it won't repeat. The calendar does it automatically.

Just a thought

-db
    08-17-10 08:56 AM
    It seems to me that the calendar is so infinitely easier to set up for what you are trying to do. Setting up recurrences in the calendar is really simple. You may want to try that. It sounds like if you do it your way and you forget to cancel the task it won't repeat. The calendar does it automatically.

Just a thought

-db
    I totally understand and thank you for your thoughtful reply. I do use the calendar option you mention, but I'm trying to keep the calendar and its recurrence option for appointments only.

I'll explain my thought process. I have certain little goals that are important, yet I don't deem them worthy enough to see them on my calendar. For example, I have a goal to organize my file cabinet. I set a desired completion date several months in advance. I would like the tasks app to provide little prompts which come up at recurring intervals that I set, but I don't want to see them every time I look at the calendar. Ultimately I would turn off the feature which shows tasks in the calendar but still have pop-up notifications and reminders. In my file cabinet example, it would work like this: In the first month, I would set a weekly reminder for Monday morning that prompts me, "Hey, Buddy! Check your schedule for the week and see if there's time for this!" Then, if there's room in my schedule, I could make a real calendar entry and set aside some time for the task. If there isn't, no big deal; it will pop up again next Monday. As the desired completion date for the goal approaches, I could step it up a bit and set a daily prompt. But I just don't want to see it in my calendar every day.

Another Update:

I'm happy to report that I think it will work as outlined above. I turned off the feature which causes tasks to show in the calendar, and the pop-up reminder still shows up and even sets a recurrence for it to show up again (I can see the scheduled recurrence if I look at my tasks). It's just important to remember to mark the task "completed" each time it pops up in order for the recurring prompt to be set.

Thanks db and all.
    08-17-10 10:10 AM
    Happy to (try to) help...

I guess I'm just lazy and easily distracted (look a bunny...)

And using two different programs even on the same device is too complicated for me. I "hid" my tasks application two blackberries ago and never looked back. If I can't figure it out in my calendar it won't happen. Also...the wife can set something in her calendar and invite me and it will show up on mine. That makes it extremely useful to me And I like having everything in one place. I do the same with messages...I have work, personal emails, phone calls, bbm, SMS, everything under "messages" I can tell who it's from and how they sent it but I only have to look in one place. I know a lot of people separate everything but that's too much back and forth for me. The same applies to my organizer data. One place.

However, if the tasks works for you by all means use it. I hope it helps. I didn't mean to discourage you...

Good luck...

-db
    08-17-10 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD