I'm going to be getting a blackberry for my birthday this month but I cant decide what one to get. It was betweena blackberry and an Instinct but I think I've decided no on the Instinct. Can you guys share with pros and cons of each one? I swear I've read 1500 different reviews on each one and I'm still at a loss for which one I want.
    07-13-08 12:51 PM
    I would go with the curve, Cant beat the qwerty keyboard.
    Last edited by Kevtigger; 07-13-08 at 01:13 PM. Reason: typo
    07-13-08 01:13 PM
    For Sprint, there's not a big difference in price between the two. The biggest difference is size of the phone, size of the screen, and keyboard. If you plan on using video or Sprint TV or GPS, I would suggest the Curve for its bigger screen. If you plan on using your phone for a lot of e-mails, especially lengthy ones, again, the Curve. So that just leaves the size of the phone itself. I would go to a store and see how the Curve fits in your hand. In my opinion, it's really not that big (not that much wider than the Pearl) and extremely light.

Note: Yes, they usually have those security devices bolted to the back of the phones, so it's really hard to gauge how it will fit in your hand. I've devised a trick to take care of that. Hold it backwards. Put the front of the phone in the palm of your hand as if it were the back. (Or you could just ask to see one that isn't tethered.)

Hope this helps!
    07-13-08 01:31 PM
    I'm a text fanatic, I'm currently using that fancy moto that dont see on sprint site anymore..hm. I plan on using it for texting, GPS if need be, some of the apps that are offered would be more than helpful internet would be nice to have for when I can't sneak on at work. I guess I just want one. My b/f works for sprint, he likes the Pearl cause of the size, so I"ll just go to the store and fondle the phones to see which one I like the most. He isnt sure which one I'd really like more either. I like the fact that I can change the color of the trackball on the pearl and all the stuff you can customize. Can you do all that stuff on the curve as well?
    07-13-08 03:03 PM
    I believe that Sprint's 8130 Pearl doesn't have the ability to light the trackball with different colors (only a limited number of the original 8100 Pearls did). I don't know what other customization options you wanted, but the two phones are almost identical as far as software goes.

When you go to the store, go to the MemoPad and try typing out a couple test messages to compare how easy or difficult it is to type on both. See which gives you a better texting experience. Some people end up loving the SureType on the Pearl for their bigger buttons, but the full QWERTY gives you much more freedom in your typing.
    07-13-08 04:55 PM
    I personally like the curve a lot more. A few of my friends have the pearl and they like it but I rely heavily on a full qwerty board. Either way, you're getting a blackberry so you can't go wrong! Heheh

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-08 05:17 PM
    Fogg is right. The trackball of the 8130 (Sprint) cannot be customized- at least not with software. There are some tutorials around about how to remove the trackball and place different color paper somewhere in there to change the color of the trackball.

Not something I'd care to do.
    07-13-08 05:34 PM
    I've had both a pearl and a curve. I have the curve now and I'll never go back to suretype. Suretype works as good as it can but you can't beat qwerty. And with the curve you get a bigger screen.

07-13-08 05:42 PM
    I'd say go with the Curve. I have no problem with the size. When I first got it, I was shocked at how small it was. And typing on it is quite easy, one or two handed.
    07-13-08 07:04 PM
    I'd also recommend the Curve over the Pearl, not only due to the reasons listed above, but due to the extra memory. The extra 50% really makes a difference. I never worry about dropping below 10 MB anymore.

Last edited by hilker09; 07-13-08 at 07:30 PM.
    07-13-08 07:27 PM
    The curve over the pearl mainly due to the fact of the Memory "Feature" thats on the Pearl. it causes all SMS and emails and call logs all delete because the pearl is out of free space. Get the curve.
    07-13-08 08:55 PM
    my tech companion above me is correct it does erase info if you put to much worthless stuff on it and plus the curve is like an upgraded version of the peral and it comes with a 1gig memory card with it and you can go up to a 8 gig sd card and it has a full keyboard, so yeah curve is the way to go
    07-14-08 09:33 PM
    Get the curve!
    07-14-08 09:37 PM
    I have a pearl 8130 from VZW and I have had it for about 5 months now. I liked the suretype for about 2 months and now, its a pain in my ****! I totally should have baught the Curve. My NE2 comes in February of 2009. I will either get the Curve or try out the new Thunder BB if it ever comes out. I am not sure about the touch screen though.
    07-18-08 02:35 PM
    i kinda like the pearls keyboard. i can knock out 20 emails and not even look at the phone while im typing ive gotten so good.

i do miss having a fully qwerty some times..but... maybe when the touchscreen bb comes out ill get it LOL
    07-19-08 02:33 AM
    I had the Pearl before the Curve...the pearl's not a bad phone; but the memory leak issue with the phone was too unpredictable and sporadic for me to handle.

I have the Curve now; and there are no memory leak issues with it. Yes, the full-qwerty keyboard is a plus...but the Pearl's suretype layout isn't a total gaffe (it's head over heels than many phones out there) to totally discount the Pearl.

However, is the Instinct that you mentioned a gaffe? YES INDEED.
    07-19-08 04:38 PM
    What's a Memory leak?
    Should I be worried about this?
    I just purchased a PEARL...
    07-20-08 09:05 AM
    I'm going to be getting a blackberry for my birthday this month but I cant decide what one to get. It was betweena blackberry and an Instinct but I think I've decided no on the Instinct. Can you guys share with pros and cons of each one? I swear I've read 1500 different reviews on each one and I'm still at a loss for which one I want.
    Both are excellent.

Curve Pros:
    Bigger screen
    Full keyboard

Pearl Pros:
    One handed use
    Smaller size

Then again, you could just get both!
    07-20-08 10:08 AM
    What's a Memory leak?
    Should I be worried about this?
    I just purchased a PEARL...
    The pearl is a very good device. Just be sure your device has the latest version (4.3) and all will be fine.
    07-20-08 10:24 AM
    my tech companion above me is correct it does erase info if you put to much worthless stuff on it and plus the curve is like an upgraded version of the peral and it comes with a 1gig memory card with it and you can go up to a 8 gig sd card and it has a full keyboard, so yeah curve is the way to go
    Where are ya getting a curve that comes with a 1 gig card??????
    Last edited by Kevtigger; 07-20-08 at 10:48 AM. Reason: typo
    07-20-08 10:47 AM
    to me the curve and the pearl are pretty much the same phone with the exception of it's size and keyboard. I have the pearl and once you get to know the keyboard (took me less than a week), it's nothing. I can send just as many emails and just as fast as someone with a curve.
    07-21-08 09:52 AM
    Where are ya getting a curve that comes with a 1 gig card??????
    My Curve had a 1gb card with it. I got it through Sprint.
    07-21-08 10:39 AM
    I have owned both and I would say get the curve you won�t be let down
    07-21-08 10:51 AM
    I currently use a pearl and I don't have any issues with it. I'm not a big fan of SureType, but once it learns your most frequently used words its not too bad. I prefer the form factor over the curve, but the rest is pretty much the same.

07-21-08 11:11 AM
    I have a curve and my gf has a pearl so I have used both. The pearl is really nice but I'd definately give the edge to the curve.

07-21-08 10:09 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD