Is anyone working on how to get OS 6 up and running on the Storms (9520, 9550, etc.)? I thought for sure someone would have something available by now.

Anyone think it is even possible?
    08-12-10 02:17 PM
    I think they are waiting on a 9550/9520 OS 6 version and then....everyone will use it.
    08-12-10 02:20 PM
    There isn't any versions of OS 6 that will be available for the S2, this has been said many times on the forums.

It's impossible for anyone to figure it out and even if you were to somehow manage to load OS 6 on a S2 the OS exceeds the amount of RAM even available on the S2.
    08-12-10 02:21 PM
    I understand there will not be a S2 version of OS6.

I was questioning whether anyone would be able to modify the available version / shrink to work on a storm 2 - or create a hybrid that includes OS 6 goodies, like webkit browser? Sounds like you are saying that is not "technically" possible?
    08-12-10 02:26 PM
    Hybrids are possible but you will not get any specific OS 6 functionality or UI. This includes the Webkit browser. Amoung other things Webkit requires APIs specific to OS 6 which can not be used in a hybrid with a lower base OS (5.0 etc).
    08-12-10 02:33 PM
    I understand there will not be a S2 version of OS6.

I was questioning whether anyone would be able to modify the available version / shrink to work on a storm 2 - or create a hybrid that includes OS 6 goodies, like webkit browser? Sounds like you are saying that is not "technically" possible?
    Webkit browser is part of the OS6 I think I read but there may be a leaked OS6 for the Storm2. It will probably run like OS5 did on my 8330 curve which is not good.
    08-12-10 02:35 PM
    womp womp. Thanks for the explanation though. I guess I can stop checking the forums for a miracle now.
    08-12-10 02:37 PM
    Guys,. There will not be an official OS6 for the storm 2. That said, if we can somehow get our hands on a leaked version of the 0S6 that was being tested on the Storm2, we could Shrink An OS and it MAY work on the storm2. Untill we get that leak we are stuck with the current OS.
    08-12-10 02:47 PM
    We understand that there is not going to be an official release of the os. But if you remember big red tested the builds of it on the storm2 we are wondering if (and a big if) it would be possible to get our hands on one of these.

So i believe it is possible just getting a build of that tested version in the right hands....
    08-12-10 08:38 PM
    Or you wait for the Odin refresh and hope that the OS6 from that Storm 2 will work with yours. Maxing out Shrink-A-OS would be your best bet.
    08-12-10 09:10 PM
    how about getting a life instead, sheeeesh
    08-12-10 09:57 PM
    so this will be the new thread that is created 2 times a day i guess....
    08-12-10 10:01 PM
    Ok. This is just inhumane. The horse is dead for Pete's sake...what good is it to keep beating it like this? :rollseyes:

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-10 10:06 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/st...-6-you-508767/

Main thread, holds the answer to yer question.

08-13-10 05:43 AM
    Ok. This is just inhumane. The horse is dead for Pete's sake...what good is it to keep beating it like this? :rollseyes:

Because hopefully RIM will see this and wake the f*ck up! RIM is in danger of losing us pissed off storm 2 owners. While they may think we will wait and buy the next os6 device...WRONG, they are all going DROID. That is why we thought the s2 would be one of the "first" to get os6..to change our minds about not leaving, and what do they do? They p*ss off every storm2 user and ENSURE their market loss. Great job....I guess we all got a RIM job.
    Last edited by strafer69; 08-14-10 at 07:07 PM.
    08-14-10 06:58 PM
    Because hopefully RIM will see this and wake the f*ck up! RIM is in danger of losing us pissed off storm 2 owners. While they may think we will wait and buy the next os6 device...WRONG, they are all going DROID. That is why we thought the s2 would be one of the "first" to get os6..to change our minds about not leaving, and what do they do? They p*ss off every storm2 user and ENSURE their market loss. Great job....I guess we all got a RIM job.
    the people on this forum only are like 3-5% of storm orders and most all the general public doesnt give 2 ****s about what OS the phone has. They just care that it works. So you are sadly wrong, RIM wont lose squat in reality over this move
    08-14-10 07:38 PM
    the people on this forum only are like 3-5% of storm orders and most all the general public doesnt give 2 ****s about what OS the phone has. They just care that it works. So you are sadly wrong, RIM wont lose squat in reality over this move
    that would be true if the storm didnt suck compared to the competition already people that i know myself included are going to android os 6 is rims swan song if they keep this up next year they will end up going down like palm.
    i have a question why is rim stock falling after the big announcement of os 6 and torch? maybe because they suck? investors are tired of their bs idk dont really care either, they got me to buy this pos storm 2 and well even if android sucks at least ill be able to save apps on to sd card.
    08-15-10 10:48 AM
    How bout this, no webkit, no OS6, no new hardware. Then you would have a reason to be upset. Oh the new slider has all that. So look and wait cus the S3 will have all that also.
    When you bought the S2 it was the best you could get at the time.
    08-15-10 11:07 AM
    Your post elicited these two thoughts: 1) You can't please all of the people all of the time, and 2) some customers aren't worth keeping as all they do is kvetch and gripe incessantly. Then there are others who understand that NO phone, device, or person is PERFECT and they find some contentment with those items/people in their lives. I can see which camp you are in....
    08-15-10 12:01 PM
    that would be true if the storm didnt suck compared to the competition already people that i know myself included are going to android os 6 is rims swan song if they keep this up next year they will end up going down like palm.
    i have a question why is rim stock falling after the big announcement of os 6 and torch? maybe because they suck? investors are tired of their bs idk dont really care either, they got me to buy this pos storm 2 and well even if android sucks at least ill be able to save apps on to sd card.

if u don't like BB, why not LEAVE the forum to those who OWN and USE BB's? what's the point to sticking around, except to TROLL?? Do you see me ******** about androids or iphones in those respective forums?? Man up, and go to the forum that discusses the phones you like.
    08-15-10 12:04 PM
    i cant believe I bought the Storm 2 just a month ago and i wont be able to upgrade to OS 6 . and to think that this is the latest model in my country , until the Torch gets here they'll come up with a OS7 that will run on a newer phone .... just my luck
    08-16-10 11:56 AM
    As a Storm 2 user and long time computer programmer I can certainly understand that technically OS 6 might not work with the Storm 2 because of memory issues. That is what the rumored "Odin Refresh" is supposed to address. If Verizon/RIM has any sense, what they will do is offer a generous trade-in/upgrade option for us. I would have no problem paying, say $100, for an upgraded Storm 2 with more memory and OS 6.
    08-16-10 08:05 PM
    As a Storm 2 user and long time computer programmer I can certainly understand that technically OS 6 might not work with the Storm 2 because of memory issues. That is what the rumored "Odin Refresh" is supposed to address. If Verizon/RIM has any sense, what they will do is offer a generous trade-in/upgrade option for us. I would have no problem paying, say $100, for an upgraded Storm 2 with more memory and OS 6.
    I would only pay the $100 IF my contract was not renewed. I still want to have my upgrade available. Which probably wont happen
    08-16-10 11:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD