I have searched the forums to find the answer but I am coming up empty handed.

I have an extra BB Curve 8310 that was recently used on a BES but is no longer and I am trying to restore it to factory conditions so that I can sell it.

I've wiped the phone. Three times in fact.

I successfully got rid of the IT policy, but the Firewall remains enabled and has a little red lock by it and I cannot change it to disabled.

I did the "blank policy" install, and I also "upgraded" the OS to the .194 version, didn't help.

I saw a post about installing 4.5 but I don't really want to install a beta OS on a device that I am going to sell.

Any advice? Should I just call AT&T and have them contact RIM to attach the IMEI to a "blank BES" to reset it for use on a BIS?

I know some people may say that it's not a big deal (the firewall), but that's not the point. I need to sell this phone and would prefer to sell it in like factory condition w/o any residue of an IT policy.

Thanks in advance.
    07-13-08 08:48 AM
    Install the Beta, do the reset to factory and then rollback
    to the 4.2 OS. There really is no other way. PITA, I know.
    07-13-08 09:07 AM
    I understand the install for the 4.5, but how would I "roll back" to the 4.2 OS after upgrading? This would remove any remnants of the IT policy and the firewall then?

Thanks.
    07-13-08 10:01 AM
    Once you get rid of the firewall lock simply use
    add/ remove programs to uninstall the 4.5 OS.

Then open DM, connect your phone and it will
    prompt you to downgrade. You may need to click
    Application Loader in DM to trigger it.

This, of course assumes you have the 4.2 OS
    installed on the PC also.
    07-13-08 10:10 AM
    Ok, I got the 4.5 OS installed, now I've gone and downloaded the JL_Cmdr file and I'm trying to install it.

I extract it and try to run the installer and a cmd window just opens briefly before closing. It's so fast I can't even see what it says in the cmd window. It places a shortcut on my desktop that leads to nowhere because the specified path doesn't even exist because it failed to install.

I really need to get this to work today to reset the phone to factory.

Any help?
    07-18-08 08:45 AM
    I have the same problem with my 8830 and this comes direct from the blackberry website:

The firewall on the BlackBerry smartphone is turned on and locked during activation using BlackBerry Unite! software. The firewall remains turned on and locked after a security wipe is performed on the BlackBerry smartphone.

This is expected behavior to maintain the security of the BlackBerry smartphone. The firewall is turned on and locked to prevent the BlackBerry smartphone from receiving email messages using BlackBerry Unite! software after a security wipe. BlackBerry Unite! software will continue to forward email messages to the BlackBerry smartphone until the BlackBerry smartphone is deactivated using BlackBerry Unite! software.
    09-14-08 12:24 AM
    Look for a thread titled "new how to completely remove an IT policy" by cjcarbone. He details the steps necessary to recover from experimenting with Unite.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-08 12:53 AM
    Gotcha covered Jeff

This is the thread he is talking about.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/new-...-policy-34665/
    09-14-08 12:55 AM
    I've looked before and the only solution I can find is to downgrade and reload the OS (as per the post above). What a STUPID way to get rid of the lock from using BB unite!
    09-14-08 01:18 AM
    It isn't stupid, a pain in the ... but not stupid.
    Take your time, do the steps in the exact order and you'll
    be fine. I've been there and I can tell you that method works.
    09-14-08 01:24 AM
    I have now worked out how to reliably remove an IT Policy from any 8000 series BlackBerry phone. The fix can be quite drastic depending upon which OS you are running.

The IT POlicy was never intended to be removed other than by a BES admin so it does not come off easily.

JL_Cmder only removes (resettofactory) an IT Policy on OS 4.3 or above so if your phone is running OS 4.2 then you need to upgrade the OS to 4.5 (cuz that's what there is for this phone) before JL_Cmder can do its stuff.

To downgrade, simply uninstall OS 4.5 (but keep 4.2 installed) from your PC and Desktop Manager will prompt you to ask if it should downgrade.
    1. If you are running OS 4.3 or better
      All you need is JL_Cmder and to Sync your phone and do a Backup before starting. Once this is done, shut down Desktop Manager and run up JL_Cmder. From the main screen select menu item 5 (resettofactory). Follow exactly the instructions given by JL_Cmder and then wait until the phone has re-booted. Now do a Restore and you should now see that the Firewall (Options, Security Options, Firewall) now has no little red lock against it.
    2. If you are running OS 4.2
      Sync your phone and do a Backup.
      Install and OS version greater than 4.2 (any version will do)
      Run JL_Cmder and select menu option 5
      Follow the instructions exactly.
      When the phone has rebooted check OPtions, Security Options, Firewall now has no little red lock against it.
      Re-install your old OS
      Do a Restore.
    I know that this proceedure is long and tedious but it does work reliably.
    Last edited by Pete6; 09-14-08 at 02:35 AM.
    Rockerfest likes this.
    09-14-08 02:24 AM
    Yeah me also! It briefly appears and closes at the blink of an eye! How can I get this program to work correctly?
    10-06-08 05:04 PM
    Yeah me also! It briefly appears and closes at the blink of an eye! How can I get this program to work correctly?
    Which program are you talking about please?
    10-06-08 05:12 PM
    Pete I think he means JL_CMDER

What I did was go to C:\program files\JL_CMDER, in the right pane
    there is a file called JLCMDER.cmd

Copy that file out to the desktop, double the new icon
    and the program will open properly
    10-06-08 05:39 PM
    Which program are you talking about please?
    I am talking about removing the it policy and wiping the blackberry with the JL_Cmdr v1.9.0. I already have the 4.5 os upgrade and this it policy is making me unable to enable the docs to go application b/c I have firewall settings.
    10-06-08 07:31 PM
    Pete I think he means JL_CMDER

What I did was go to C:\program files\JL_CMDER, in the right pane
    there is a file called JLCMDER.cmd

Copy that file out to the desktop, double the new icon
    and the program will open properly
    I tried that and it wont even copy on my desktop. Plus its hidden within my program files also but I found it and when I tried to execute it then it said the file path doesnt exist.
    10-06-08 07:37 PM
    Check to see if there is an identically named folder in your root
    directory. C:\JL_CMDER. If there is try the steps I posted from there.
    10-06-08 07:40 PM
    I am talking about removing the it policy and wiping the blackberry with the JL_Cmdr v1.9.0. I already have the 4.5 os upgrade and this it policy is making me unable to enable the docs to go application b/c I have firewall settings.
    Since AG and Pete6 didn't ask, I will: is this your personal phone that you bought used that includes an IT Policy? If you are on a BES and this is a corporate phone, you are only going to get yourself in trouble for removing the policy, and it'll be pushed back the next time you log on to the enterprise.
    10-06-08 07:56 PM
    Check to see if there is an identically named folder in your root
    directory. C:\JL_CMDER. If there is try the steps I posted from there.
    That is a no go. It won't wont work. Is there any way you know of to make my docs 2 go app to work? I have already tried registering it online and that didnt make a bit of a difference. I'm doing all this specifically so I can use that software.
    10-06-08 07:58 PM
    Since AG and Pete6 didn't ask, I will: is this your personal phone that you bought used that includes an IT Policy? If you are on a BES and this is a corporate phone, you are only going to get yourself in trouble for removing the policy, and it'll be pushed back the next time you log on to the enterprise.
    This is my own personal phone that I of course bought from ebay that "had" an IT Policy on it before and I used the technique that copy and pasted that file into my RIM folder on my computer that "removed" the IT policy. But now I need the firewall settings on my phone disabled so I can register my documents 2 go, so I can even use it at all.
    10-06-08 09:30 PM
    I'm sorry you got stuck with an IT Policy. I consider it unethical to sell a phone with one on it, because the seller shifts the burden of removing it to a typically unsuspecting buyer. And as you've found, removing it is non-trivial. I can't give you any more help than Pete6 and AG, but I did want to warn you if you had a BES phone. We sometimes get users who have been issued corporate phones and want to break the IT Policy on them. That's a big mistake.
    10-06-08 09:48 PM
    I'm sorry you got stuck with an IT Policy. I consider it unethical to sell a phone with one on it, because the seller shifts the burden of removing it to a typically unsuspecting buyer. And as you've found, removing it is non-trivial. I can't give you any more help than Pete6 and AG, but I did want to warn you if you had a BES phone. We sometimes get users who have been issued corporate phones and want to break the IT Policy on them. That's a big mistake.
    Thanks for your help though, greatly appreciated. I wonder why that JL_CMD wouldnt work on my computer however? I might just download eOffice to replace documents to go I guess. I just wanted to avoid paying for eOffice all together. Do you know of any other way to completely wipe my phone besides that one program?
    10-06-08 09:54 PM
    Thanks for your help though, greatly appreciated. I wonder why that JL_CMD wouldnt work on my computer however? I might just download eOffice to replace documents to go I guess. I just wanted to avoid paying for eOffice all together. Do you know of any other way to completely wipe my phone besides that one program?
    I tried eOffice and found its user interface unintuitive and difficult to use, but it has a free trial, so you can try it for yourself.

CrackMem, available from my sig, is a program Pete6 created that has the ability to wipe your device to the same degree as JL_Cmder. You might try it to wipe your device, then jump back into the procedure you were following.
    10-06-08 09:59 PM
    No unfortunately JL_CMDER is going to pretty much be the only
    way to fully wipe your phone.

2 things come to mind. (A) Do you have Administrator rights on
    your PC and (B) have you tried uninstalling JL_CMDER, reboot the
    PC and reinstall it.

I'd just hate to see you pay for something that is free with
    your OS.

EDIT: I forgot that CrackMem has a wipe function. Thanks for the
    memory jog Jeff
    10-06-08 09:59 PM
    No unfortunately JL_CMDER is going to pretty much be the only
    way to fully wipe your phone.

2 things come to mind. (A) Do you have Administrator rights on
    your PC and (B) have you tried uninstalling JL_CMDER, reboot the
    PC and reinstall it.

I'd just hate to see you pay for something that is free with
    your OS.

EDIT: I forgot that CrackMem has a wipe function. Thanks for the
    memory jog Jeff
    I got it to work now, we'll see here in a few minutes if the firewall has been removed or not. Do I have to reinstall my 4.5 os all over again?
    10-06-08 10:13 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD