When you buy a VZW device off of CL or eBay, at what point does Verizon Wireless officially consider the phone belonging to the new owner? Does it have to be activated on the new owners plan and even then is it at risk?

I found a really good deal, but the deal is for two phones. I figured one I'll put on my account, but the other I'll probably resell. However, if phone # 2 never gets activated on my account, I'm afraid I might subject myself to getting burned if the original owner decided to stop paying his VZW bill or submit an insurance claim.

Odd question I know. Feedback welcome.
    08-10-10 06:35 PM
    I'm pretty sure once it's not active anymore.
    08-10-10 10:46 PM
    Your local Verizon store should be able to check the ESN's before you end up buying a POS phone. It'll tell them before hand. I know a few people who have been screwed over by not doing this.
    08-10-10 10:52 PM
    If you're worried, activate phone #2 right away, then replace it with #1 a day or so later. That way the last account it was attached to was yours. No issues
    08-11-10 12:11 AM
    If someone really wants to be a d**k and just take your money, they could give you the esn when you ask for it, then you go to the store and the ens is checked and clear, so you buy the phone give them your money they ship it, next they report it stolen so now it shows up at your house with a bad ens. Maybe its a long shot but my friend bought a LNIB phone off ebay and can't activate it. If its too good to be true it might be. Im not sure if ebay buyer protection would back you up in a case like this. I would say your best bet is buy one from the marketplace on here and do some reasearch on the seller, anyone on here that was a bad buyer or seller has a post about them. Just my 2 cents if I'm wrong I hope someone corrects me.
    08-11-10 09:44 PM
    I've heard stories where the seller gives the wrong ESN (which is unsurprisingly clear) then sell a bad phone.

CL will net you some great deals, but caveat emptor.
    08-20-10 11:52 AM
    The best thing to do is meet the seller at the Verizon store (hopefully your deal you found was on CL) and check, then activate the phone right there. This way you and the seller will know that nobody will get screwed. What Norris suggested is a fantastic way to know for sure that both phones will be tied to your account and will be clear of any future problems.

If you're worried, activate phone #2 right away, then replace it with #1 a day or so later. That way the last account it was attached to was yours. No issues
    08-20-10 11:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD