I got to spend 2 � hours with the Torch and the Iphone 4 at my local AT&T store. I walked in after lunch to see if they had any Torch's out for play and they did - right next to the iphone 4’s. How convenient is that, the two phones I’m considering side by side. I had played with the iphone a lot since launch day so I concentrated on the Torch to start with. Checked out the web browser, speaker phone, camera, video camera, calendar, text messaging, keyboard (virtual and hard).

Here is my take on them based on what I got to do.

Camera’s - Well it looks like the Iphone might have a slight edge in the still camera department based on looking at them on the phone. I don’t know if it was the display resolution or not but the iphone photos and videos seemed to be slightly more crisp. Granted I didn’t really go thru all the options on the BB to see how it would focus just used Auto. Same with the video camera looked like the iphone did the better job. Now when it came to what to do with the photo you took or the video I think the BB won. I mean press and hold the menu key and all your options pop up. How awesome is that. So I guess the real test would be to print the photo’s out and take a look, or at least send them to your computer and review them on screen, both photo and video’s. And yes I know the Iphone is HD video and photo so I should expect it to be better but I wouldn't consider it leaps better as I had expected based on the BB screen resolution.

Youtube video – I watched the same videos on both phones on youtube. I have to say they were very similar and that maybe the BB even won that one. You definitely had to use the youtube HD on the iphone to even get the video to look half way good and even HD on the iphone was the same as the normal video on the BB. I still think holding them side by side watching the same video, the BB is better by a little bit. Volumes over the speaker on the phone goes to BB hands down the BB is louder.

Browser – over 3G at the store it was a close race and no clear winner on speed. Sometimes the iphone loaded faster sometimes the BB. The tap to zoom text with text wrap on the BB is awesome. Photos on the web sites were very similar in appearance despite the resolution differences of the screens. Text on the BB appear more of a dark, dark, gray on a off white background as opposed to the true black on white color of the iphone screen. Pictures on web sites were very similar when zoomed in to full screen on both phones. I really can’t say that the iphone won that one and was surprised. Now looking at the full page with a small picture visible the iphone won that one. It did seem to take the BB a second or so longer when you zoomed in for the page to re-render and become clear. Scrolling thru the pages seemed pretty similar.

Speaker phone – could really call anybody just got a message that you needed to activate the phone but you could pretend to call and turn the speaker on and listen to the recording telling you to activate your phone. Again BB won that one, in the noisy environment of the store you could hear the BB but not the iphone with max volume on both.

Keyboards – well with virtual keyboards on both it was a contest. And for me the winner was the BB both in landscape and portrait mode. Even with both phones tied down I could easily one hand the virtual keyboard on the BB in portrait mode. Same with the iphone but hitting the right key for me was much easy for some reason on the BB. I just couldn’t get the iphone to cooperate. In landscape with two thumbs the BB was again easy to type on for me over the iphone. Now add in the hard wired keyboard and man it was like old home week. I could get by without the hard keyboard on the BB and probably won’t use it much if I go that route but if I was typing out a long email or something I’ll be sliding out the hard keyboard for that.

Calendar’s – Well they are both good. For me the BB wins simply because you set reminders for upto a 1 week before while the Iphone is maxed out at 2 day’s before.

Track pad on the Torch is an excellent idea. I noticed while browsing the web via finger that you sometimes had to zoom in a lot on both the iphone and the bb to click a link in the web page. But with the BB you simply run your finger across the track pad and the pointer appears from out of nowhere and you simply point and click with the track pad on the link. No need to zoom in to get an accurate finger click.

As for laggyness on the BB OS 6 I didn’t see any. Click on the corners of the screen and the next menu over slides in. Same for sliding your finger across the screen to change menu’s or to scroll the items in the menu up or down was smooth.

I really like the new notification system on the BB – just click the bar on the top and it slides down – awesome. The new connections menu is the same way , it is so slick. I really think the os on the BB is much more user friendly than the iphone. I admit to being a BB user for a long time but OS6 is not like any of the others and finding out where to go to tweek your setting is much easier than hunting thru the settings button on iphone.
    I’ll add more later as I remember it. But they are both great devices and while similar, still very different. I can see how BB has come a long way into the everyday users domain with media, while I don’t see iphone making great leaps into the “business world” with email push, notifications, security features. Like others it would be nice to have had just a slightly better screen resolution on the BB but I was shocked to see how good it really was.

By the way I check the torch against my 9700 on youtube video’s too and the torch smoked the 9700 no contest!!!
    Last edited by shotgunone; 08-10-10 at 05:06 PM.
    08-10-10 04:58 PM
    Great review - very helpful. Thanks for that!
    08-10-10 05:04 PM
    Awesome! Just making me more excited!
    08-10-10 05:19 PM
    I got to spend 2 � hours with the Torch and the Iphone 4 at my local AT&T store. I walked in after lunch to see if they had any Torch's out for play and they did - right next to the iphone 4�s. How convenient is that, the two phones I�m considering side by side. I had played with the iphone a lot since launch day so I concentrated on the Torch to start with. Checked out the web browser, speaker phone, camera, video camera, calendar, text messaging, keyboard (virtual and hard).

Here is my take on them based on what I got to do.

Camera�s - Well it looks like the Iphone might have a slight edge in the still camera department based on looking at them on the phone. I don�t know if it was the display resolution or not but the iphone photos and videos seemed to be slightly more crisp. Granted I didn�t really go thru all the options on the BB to see how it would focus just used Auto. Same with the video camera looked like the iphone did the better job. Now when it came to what to do with the photo you took or the video I think the BB won. I mean press and hold the menu key and all your options pop up. How awesome is that. So I guess the real test would be to print the photo�s out and take a look, or at least send them to your computer and review them on screen, both photo and video�s. And yes I know the Iphone is HD video and photo so I should expect it to be better but I wouldn't consider it leaps better as I had expected based on the BB screen resolution.

Youtube video � I watched the same videos on both phones on youtube. I have to say they were very similar and that maybe the BB even won that one. You definitely had to use the youtube HD on the iphone to even get the video to look half way good and even HD on the iphone was the same as the normal video on the BB. I still think holding them side by side watching the same video, the BB is better by a little bit. Volumes over the speaker on the phone goes to BB hands down the BB is louder.

Browser � over 3G at the store it was a close race and no clear winner on speed. Sometimes the iphone loaded faster sometimes the BB. The tap to zoom text with text wrap on the BB is awesome. Photos on the web sites were very similar in appearance despite the resolution differences of the screens. Text on the BB appear more of a dark, dark, gray on a off white background as opposed to the true black on white color of the iphone screen. Pictures on web sites were very similar when zoomed in to full screen on both phones. I really can�t say that the iphone won that one and was surprised. Now looking at the full page with a small picture visible the iphone won that one. It did seem to take the BB a second or so longer when you zoomed in for the page to re-render and become clear. Scrolling thru the pages seemed pretty similar.

Speaker phone � could really call anybody just got a message that you needed to activate the phone but you could pretend to call and turn the speaker on and listen to the recording telling you to activate your phone. Again BB won that one, in the noisy environment of the store you could hear the BB but not the iphone with max volume on both.

Keyboards � well with virtual keyboards on both it was a contest. And for me the winner was the BB both in landscape and portrait mode. Even with both phones tied down I could easily one hand the virtual keyboard on the BB in portrait mode. Same with the iphone but hitting the right key for me was much easy for some reason on the BB. I just couldn�t get the iphone to cooperate. In landscape with two thumbs the BB was again easy to type on for me over the iphone. Now add in the hard wired keyboard and man it was like old home week. I could get by without the hard keyboard on the BB and probably won�t use it much if I go that route but if I was typing out a long email or something I�ll be sliding out the hard keyboard for that.

Calendar�s � Well they are both good. For me the BB wins simply because you set reminders for upto a 1 week before while the Iphone is maxed out at 2 day�s before.

Track pad on the Torch is an excellent idea. I noticed while browsing the web via finger that you sometimes had to zoom in a lot on both the iphone and the bb to click a link in the web page. But with the BB you simply run your finger across the track pad and the pointer appears from out of nowhere and you simply point and click with the track pad on the link. No need to zoom in to get an accurate finger click.

As for laggyness on the BB OS 6 I didn�t see any. Click on the corners of the screen and the next menu over slides in. Same for sliding your finger across the screen to change menu�s or to scroll the items in the menu up or down was smooth.

I really like the new notification system on the BB � just click the bar on the top and it slides down � awesome. The new connections menu is the same way , it is so slick. I really think the os on the BB is much more user friendly than the iphone. I admit to being a BB user for a long time but OS6 is not like any of the others and finding out where to go to tweek your setting is much easier than hunting thru the settings button on iphone.
    I�ll add more later as I remember it. But they are both great devices and while similar, still very different. I can see how BB has come a long way into the everyday users domain with media, while I don�t see iphone making great leaps into the �business world� with email push, notifications, security features. Like others it would be nice to have had just a slightly better screen resolution on the BB but I was shocked to see how good it really was.

By the way I check the torch against my 9700 on youtube video�s too and the torch smoked the 9700 no contest!!!
    great post, thx buddy.
    08-10-10 05:42 PM
    I think this is a biased subjective mini review from an apple hater. This is by no means flaming, admit at least that the iphone screen is better to say the least.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-10 05:43 PM
    All reviews are subjective...
    08-10-10 05:50 PM
    I am not an Apple hater. I am still considering buying one of these two devices.

Yes by the numbers the iphone screen resolution is better by a lot. But the renderings of the items I asked it to do were not that much difference sometimes. The iphone did not do a very good job on the MANY youtube video's I watched unless you had the iphone use the HD version and then it was equal and to my old eyes (over 50 with bifocals) very slightly less resolved than the BB.

In text on messages and web pages - no doubt the iphone text was sharper and blacker on a whiter background than the BB. But based on all the comment on the BB screen resolution they were not that much difference, to me.

I would certainly encourge anyone to make the comparison themselves. I just say that I was lucky enough to have the phones available for a long period of time and side by side. Being able to hold one in one hand and one in the other and make the comparison I did was a tremendous help to me.

And just for the record I still haven't decided on which one. I may go spend some more time up there not only comparing the two but going thru the BB a little more as the OS is definately new and fresh comparied to the prior ones. I admit I have been a BB using for many years but I'm always looking out for the next thing. I tried a 3GS but it wouldn't make it thru more than 14 hours without charging and I couldn't have a device like that for my lifestyle.

And Mi3x your always welcome to write and totally unbiased, non-subjective review. Step up anytime I'll be glad to read it.
    08-10-10 06:19 PM
    I think this is a biased subjective mini review from an apple hater. This is by no means flaming, admit at least that the iphone screen is better to say the least.

Why is every review that doesn't give the iPhone a glowing report written by "haters"?
    08-10-10 06:25 PM
    i applaud shotgunone for doing this.
    remember this is his own experience..
    and not some tech critic who wants to sound smart and feel accepted.
    i simply HATE the idea that only a handful are willing to stick their neck out for something.. just because they're afraid to be ridiculed by the "others"

i take everything with a grain of salt..
    i have watched a lot of bad movies with " oscar quality reviews"
    and i enjoyed more than a number of GOOD movies with not so so reviews from the so called film critics.
    same with cars.. everyone wants to sound like a car enthusiast..
    but in the end.. it's YOU the consumer who should make the decision and FEEL good about it because you like it and and NOT because everyone else want you to like it!
    08-10-10 06:37 PM
    Such bias review. I can see a different easily between the resolution of the iP4 and Torch. The iP4 is sharper if you look at the same web pages to a point where the BB looks pixilated especially the small text. Did you even reset both devices to clear cache and all open apps running in the background? That's going to be big difference depending on what is installed or running on each phone.

08-10-10 06:39 PM
    Wow guess some actually read what I wrote. Or at least read the whole thing and then the second post too. Some didn't!

And yes both devices were reset, reboot, reloaded, redone, or whatever you want to call it.

I did say the iphone was sharper on text but since it is 2X the resolution it should be, right? But what I did say is that it is not (in my opnion) 2x as good. As a matter of fact the iphone may be better than the computer monitor I am currently using since I can see pixilation on it as I type. The BB is about the same as my monitor certainly not worse.

Good thing this is a life or death decision and we get it all right, I mean well it could just be a PHONE!!!

Crap go test them for yourself and write your own unbiased non-subjective report! Or better yet get a life, cause it's only a mobile phone!
    08-10-10 07:33 PM
    Calm down buddy, its just a phone and the internet. No need to get defensive and start yelling. Its not worth it I tell ya. Search my post for an unbiased review. I'm been partial to both BB and Android but not so much an iphone.

08-10-10 07:51 PM
    @ shotgunone... thanks for the detailed comparison/post.
    08-10-10 08:31 PM
    So is this your unbiased review?

9800 first impression from a Tour user.

3. Screen
    I have a very high standard for screen resolution coming from the sharp and crisp Tour screen but the 9800 screen looks inferior and a pixelated mess. What were they thinking when you have older BB that looks sharper? This would be a deal breaker for me.
    Or this one?

Resolution of 9800 only 480x320.Are you serious??

So I was eyeing the 9800 and it looks better with each new info that has been released. Then I found out the screen resolution will only be 480x320, which is the same as most high end BBs out today. Are you kidding me? The screen size is almost twice as big as the current trackpad devices yet they decided stretch out the resolution. That means it will not look as sharp as the 480x320 screens of the non-touch devices. Why they didn't keep the aspect ratio the same?

This is what I was worried about so I'm pretty bummed out by this. Android and Iphone go beyond 800x400 and there's no reason for RIM's hardware to be stuck in the past. I don't mind their outdated OS as long as they keep their hardware up to date, but I guess that's too much to ask out of RIM.
    Or this?

anyone else think resolution is the deal breaker?

Its the only thing that's keeping me from buying one. 480x360 is pathetic on the screen of that size in this day and age.
    This is unbiased??? Seems like you've decided to not buy one, so why are you still reading and commenting on those of us still considering it?

And if your info in your header is correct your using a HTC Hero isn't the specs on it 3.2-inch TFT-LCD touch-sensitive screen with 320x480 HVGA resolution while the Torch is 3.2” HVGA+ touch screen (480x360) slightly more dense pixilation.
    Last edited by shotgunone; 08-10-10 at 08:43 PM.
    08-10-10 08:37 PM

Sounds like a fanboy review.
    08-10-10 08:38 PM
    nice to know thanks
    08-10-10 08:44 PM
    Yes here we all go in our welcoming community that we are!

Yes, if one does not agree with every single soul on this board they mustbe biased and a fanboy.

Give me a break! This here is a 50 year old man and you you really think he cares how sharp a screen is? If it works it works! Do you think that a 50 year old man is out to win a popularity contest? I think not!

Those who yell "fanboy" are like a bunch of children that like to **** people off. Would one of you walk up to an iPhone user and spit in his face? Or maybe walk up to an Android user and do the same? Or how about another BB users face? No! Simply because trying to make others feel like crap is your game and half if not more of you would never make it in a real fight! So, you get on the net and attract flame bait and try to play the macho role.

Let me give you a clue, you all look like jerks in my book and truly need a life!

The OP stated his opinion and you may of read and not agree and we all have a right to an opinion. Don't agree? Move on! Why make yourself look like a 5 year old brat that weighs 50 pounds and got beat up in school and now has a point to prove?

No need to be angry at me for stating the obvious here as I am secure in my manhood and I have nothing to prove to anyone on the internet. I read opinions and take them for what they are and will never downplay another person for exercising the right to an opinion.

Get mad at me and cry and whine and call me names and tell me how low and wrong I am. In the end I will go to bed with my wife, hear my children tell me they love me and I will know that half of the things that will be said to me would not be said in person and I will just get a good chuckle.

On a side note, good review OP and don't let these lifeless types get you down!
    08-10-10 10:32 PM
    Actually those are more of an unbiased first time impression then a review, I apologized for misinforming you.

I used to own a Hero but it was a piece of junk with a mediocre screen res. I currently own a Tour now and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Let me know if you have anymore question.

08-10-10 10:35 PM
    nice review...i don't know why people go into fanboy and hater this is this individuals opinion end of discussion...he took his time to write out a nice complete review...i do agree with people i phone has higher res but for a lot of people they don't notice it unless they see some very crisp images...reviews are written by peoples opinions...we've read plenty of iphone is way better than blackberry reviews as well but thats each individuals choice...nice review shotgunone i agree with most aspects i test drove the torch and i did notice a slight loss in browser speed but a second isn't gonna kill us as u stated.
    08-10-10 11:35 PM
    My problem with all of this is why do those who have a love for the iPhone even come here. I mean, what's the point? Just to troll and dispute everything said?

Immaturity in the max. You like your phone and I'll like mine. Is that so terrible? Must be.
    08-11-10 12:05 AM
    Great review shotgunone - thanks for spending the time at your ATT store (and doing what I wanted to do and was not authorized to by my local store) and articulating it for us.
    08-11-10 12:09 AM
    Hey, chill, I said no flaming intended, I am too a 9700 lover/user and have never in my life been such excited for having such a wonderful device, not to mention I hate touchscreen, I mean I could never own a phone with TS only... but from here denying what's obvious and calling maroon what's clearly white it's a long run.
    Even if this is mostly our (BB users) forum, it's nice not to be partial.

PS: I have never liked iphones.
    PS2: Sorry for my English.
    08-11-10 03:08 PM
    Pfft they so stole the slide down notifications from Android.

Jokes aside, thanks for sharing.

I know the Torch gets a lot of negatives for having low screen resolution and I think it should look a bit sharper, however...one drawback folks are overlooking is this...

You know what I can see on my screen in complete sunlight?

Yeah nothing. Never had that problem on the S2.
    08-11-10 03:58 PM
    Pfft they so stole the slide down notifications from Android.

Jokes aside, thanks for sharing.

I know the Torch gets a lot of negatives for having low screen resolution and I think it should look a bit sharper, however...one drawback folks are overlooking is this...

You know what I can see on my screen in complete sunlight?

Yeah nothing. Never had that problem on the S2.
    Impossible? I doubt you can see any lcd screen under strong sunlight? Probably a little bit if it's superbrightLEDbacklit?
    08-11-10 04:06 PM
    @Noized77 you have sprint and can't get either of the phones, so nobody cares what you think. I'd be worried about getting a "good carrier" before you can say what a good phone is. I own the iphone 4 and a 9700 and had every iphone-bb in between (perks of owning your own business). Droid "does nothing"
    08-11-10 06:36 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD