Here is why I think older phones are not supported by OS6.

RIM was working on BlackBerry OS 5.2 when the Storm 2 and 9700 were released (also the Tour probably). We know this because OS 5.2 was seen on the Clamshell not too long ago. Sometime around January/February when the Tour 2 was supposed to be released, RIM changed their plans on the new OS and realized it would require more RAM than they had previously thought. Because of this they delayed the Tour 2, gave it 512MBs, and changed the name to the Bold. This was probably right around the time that they scrapped 5.2 and decided they needed to make a bigger move and really make a splash with OS6, 5.2 just wasn't gonna cut it.

When the Storm 2, 9700, and Tour were released, RIM thought they would be able to handle the next OS without a problem. When RIM decided they needed to step up their game a bit more, they made a new OS that was too much for their newest phones to handle.

We know RIM screwed up by not planning ahead properly and I'm sure they know it too. Just ask yourself, would you rather RIM settled for 5.2 and supported your phone, or would you rather they step up to the plate and go all out, even if it meant your phone wouldn't be supported?

For me its a simple answer. I'd much rather have RIM make the best OS they can.
    08-10-10 01:14 PM
    In this completely hypothetical situation, to answer your question, no I don't think they should've released 5.2.

I mean, if it wasn't going to bring forth the changes that OS 6 does, it wasn't going to hold a candle to all the positive press that iOS4 and Froyo were getting.

Despite OS 6's mass improvements, for some reason I think the media is still being a bit harsh towards it for some reason.
    08-10-10 01:19 PM
    In this completely hypothetical situation, to answer your question, no I don't think they should've released 5.2.

I mean, if it wasn't going to bring forth the changes that OS 6 does, it wasn't going to hold a candle to all the positive press that iOS4 and Froyo were getting.

Despite OS 6's mass improvements, for some reason I think the media is still being a bit harsh towards it for some reason.

RIM is the Microsoft in the Smartphone world, they are huge, they are corporate and they are not pretty. they make a consistent product, and make that product well,

Apple is Apple, they have always had a fan base that would kill to save the Apple brand, and even as they become a de facto standard, they will never have the same negative press as the "business culture" devices, because most journalists are far from being "business culture" they are just geeks who were good at writing.

Android is the anomaly, google is starting to be looked at more and more as a big evil empire, fortunately people still hate Microsoft more, and Android has the whole open platform going for it, which to 90% of the users means nothing, but the 10% it means something to are the most vocal.

the Press will always be extra hard on the Big guy, and be extra nice to the little guy, and apple will fall in the middle having apple land press being all positive apple hate press hating what ever they do.
    08-10-10 01:47 PM
    Its hypothetical to an extent. We know they were working on 5.2 pretty hard and we know they decided to up the memory on the Bold to 512 shortly before it was going to be released in January/February with 256. This would completely explain the lack of support for year old (and less) phones.

It seems to me that RIM was stuck at a fork in the road. One way was loyal to its customers while settling for mediocracy while the other road was to screw some of your customers in the short term while doing your best to remain the leader in the smart phone market. They are fighting for their lives.
    08-10-10 01:49 PM
    I like the way you make your suspicions into fact without any real evidence.
    08-11-10 10:51 AM
    he is a district attorney................

I like the way you make your suspicions into fact without any real evidence.
    08-11-10 02:19 PM
    When RIM decided they needed to step up their game a bit more, they made a new OS that was too much for their newest phones to handle.
    Too much for their newest phones to handle? The newest phones will handle it: 9650, 9700, 9800, 9100
    08-11-10 02:24 PM
    To out it simply RIM SCREWED OVER LOYAL CUSTOMERS WHO ARE DEDICATED TO THEIR BLACKBERRY PHONES PERIOD END OF STORY. THEY'RE NOT EVEN ATTEMPTING TO RECTIFY THE SITUATION JUST BUT THE NEW PHONES AND SHUT UP. I've seen many a hybrid and read many a review on them and I've seen stuff for 9100. So it wouldn't be that hard for RIM and it's program writers to develop a lite version of OS 6, like 5.5 (a slight upgrade to the 5.2 which was called mediocre), right? Personally I think they just don't want to give a crap. Also on a personal note I will be waiting for my hybrid once OS 6 comes out and I think everyone who ones a device should start using them maybe RIM will get the message or everyone can experience this next leap in BB software no matter what device you own.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-10 04:21 PM
    To out it simply RIM SCREWED OVER LOYAL CUSTOMERS WHO ARE DEDICATED TO THEIR BLACKBERRY PHONES PERIOD END OF STORY. THEY'RE NOT EVEN ATTEMPTING TO RECTIFY THE SITUATION JUST BUT THE NEW PHONES AND SHUT UP. I've seen many a hybrid and read many a review on them and I've seen stuff for 9100. So it wouldn't be that hard for RIM and it's program writers to develop a lite version of OS 6, like 5.5 (a slight upgrade to the 5.2 which was called mediocre), right? Personally I think they just don't want to give a crap. Also on a personal note I will be waiting for my hybrid once OS 6 comes out and I think everyone who ones a device should start using them maybe RIM will get the message or everyone can experience this next leap in BB software no matter what device you own.

Shouldn't be complaining about RIM. They gave OS 6 to Verizon and they were the ones that chose not to release it.
    08-11-10 04:42 PM
    256 is enough for non touch phones to run it including the 9700, 9300 and 9100.
    08-11-10 04:49 PM

LOL! Why don't u tell us how you REALLY feel?? Any BB users who are, to use your words, "dedicated to their BB phones" will stick with RIM, so what's your point? get a new phone if you want OS6 or STFU. Simple. Phones don't cost that much anyway, when you factor in the monthly fees. The cost of a phone is a drop in the bucket. My monthly fee for two phones is about what I paid for TWO Storm2's.
    08-11-10 04:57 PM
    Spiral I wasn't just talking about Verizon I'm talking about all carriers in general for BB. Dave there are only 3 or 4 phones getting or having OS 6 vs. about 10 models that are perfectly capable. My point is they aren't even trying to develop another OS for phones that are barely a year old either. Now I laugh when people say they switched to Android why? Because there are 20 different phones I've seen so far and yes even the original Android is getting an update. I guess RIM is too busy kissing ***. Bottom line they can do it.

08-11-10 05:13 PM
    Spiral I wasn't just talking about Verizon I'm talking about all carriers in general for BB. Dave there are only 3 or 4 phones getting or having OS 6 vs. about 10 models that are perfectly capable. My point is they aren't even trying to develop another OS for phones that are barely a year old either. Now I laugh when people say they switched to Android why? Because there are 20 different phones I've seen so far and yes even the original Android is getting an update. I guess RIM is too busy kissing ***. Bottom line they can do it.

I hear what you are saying, but I wouldn't fault RIM for not making various "flavors" of their newest OS. They have enough trouble keeping up with the requirements of all the carriers throughout the world, so that we all have phones that are functional. And as far as Android is concerned, the Dell is going to ship with 1.6. How nutty is that?
    08-11-10 05:15 PM

I see. Just sounded like a rant you wouldn't hear from someone that was getting OS 6 on their device. I agree with dave that RIM has their hands full as it is.
    08-11-10 05:21 PM
    Dave I've already seen hybrids for BB that make it look and run like an OS6 and it hadn't been officially released now if only I can get it on my phone. Yeah AT&T can't keep the network running so it drops your calls, T-Mobile seems like they are running on 10 year old technology, Sprint's finally gotten there stuff together with Nextel after so many years, and .Verizon, my carrier is simple we can handle anything but of we can't tweek we don't want it. yes I'm an upset little cookie.

08-11-10 05:29 PM
    Dave I've already seen hybrids for BB that make it look and run like an OS6 and it hadn't been officially released now if only I can get it on my phone. Yeah AT&T can't keep the network running so it drops your calls, T-Mobile seems like they are running on 10 year old technology, Sprint's finally gotten there stuff together with Nextel after so many years, and .Verizon, my carrier is simple we can handle anything but of we can't tweek we don't want it. yes I'm an upset little cookie.

Hybrids are for the enthusiast community. RIM isn't an "enthusiast". They are in the business of providing a series of relatively stable OS releases to the myriad carriers around the world. Don't expect RIM to act like a "hacker" or "hobbyist".
    08-11-10 05:33 PM
    After reading through this thread twice and re-reading DeRusset's "RIM = MicroSoft" comment it hit me that's exactly it - and OS6 = Vista.
    08-11-10 05:43 PM
    No RIM isn't be a good time to start but not as a hacker. RIM can't make every individual happy but for me as long as I have the Storm I want some kind of leap until I get the Clamshell. And I know there are a lot of other pussed off people I just happen to be one with a big mouth. Side note I'm not surprised at Dell's subpar move 1.6 is a joke.

08-11-10 05:45 PM
    After reading through this thread twice and re-reading DeRusset's "RIM = MicroSoft" comment it hit me that's exactly it - and OS6 = Vista.
    can u explain just how you feel OS6 is similar to the disaster that Vista was (pre SP1, anyway)?
    08-11-10 05:46 PM
    can u explain just how you feel OS6 is similar to the disaster that Vista was (pre SP1, anyway)?
    Because no version of Vista will run on my desktop or my netbook. They don't meet the hardware requirements, just like the S2 doesn't meet OS6's hardware requirements. However, Windows 7 32-bit runs perfectly on a former XP machine, and my netbook originally had Win7 Starter but now also has Win7 32-bit. And both are dual-booting with Ubuntu 64-bit because Ubuntu doesn't have a RAM limitation. MS released Vista before it was completely worked through because they wanted to get something new and flashy out to users, and didn't seem to care that a good many people would need new machines to be able to run it. And then Win7 comes along and fixes all that.
    So I guess I'm saying also that if that's a correct analogy then the S2 will be running OS7 when it drops.
    Last edited by genomos; 08-11-10 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Pressed save before finished with post
    08-11-10 05:54 PM
    Lol genomos. Good one. I went from XP to windows 7.

08-11-10 05:54 PM

As did I lol. Crazy thing was my wife's laptop had Vista 64 when I bought it, I was running Win7 RC and I had FAR less problems than that laptop with Vista. No problems now that it has Win7 >.<
    08-11-10 06:12 PM

You didn't miss out. Vista was terrible! Forced me to buy a macbook pro. Now I'm back to PC with Win 7 Ultimate and couldn't be happier.
    08-11-10 06:13 PM
    now they just really need to step up with the hardware and catch BACK up with the rest of the pack...as always
    08-11-10 06:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD