RIM should also acknowledge the fact and realise why they wanted to kill storm2 9550/9520 which is not even one year old. Why storm2 is being excluded from list of OS6 supported devices? Is it becasue touch type is different in OS 6 (9800) than OS 5 (storm2)?
    08-10-10 01:36 AM
    RIM has not killed the Storm2. Carriers like Verizon are simply choosing to stop bringing more in, but other carriers are still actively selling it and RIM is still manufacturing it.

We won't see BB 6 on the Storm2 because the OS is too large and takes too much space and there simply isn't enough memory on the Storm2 for the touchscreen version of BB6. There is enough memory on the Bold 9700 because the trackpad and keyboard use a lot less memory than the requirements for the virtual keyboard, etc. on the Storm2. And there is enough memory on the Torch 9800 because it comes with 512MB of app memory. But the Storm2 just can't cut it because of the memory limitations.
    08-10-10 02:15 AM
    I'd be willing to bet that the Storm 2 could run the new OS just fine.
    08-10-10 04:28 PM
    RIM should also acknowledge the fact and realise why they wanted to kill storm2 9550/9520 which is not even one year old. Why storm2 is being excluded from list of OS6 supported devices? Is it becasue touch type is different in OS 6 (9800) than OS 5 (storm2)?
    08-10-10 04:37 PM
    i doubt it runs "just fine" but i am sure we could hack it up and shrink it to work ok
    08-10-10 04:38 PM
    I'm willing to bet the issue isn't memory. (Well, memory is an issue like it was for 5.0 and the 9500/9530)

I love how people are quick to say "the touchscreen takes way more memory"... It's an input device. It's not an application running in the background, it's not software... It's an input device.

Does your computer suddenly use more memory because you plug in a mouse (crappy proprietary drivers excluded, I'm talking about a regular mouse)? No, the OS simply waits for vectors/commands to process, and the acts accordingly.

Same with the touchscreen. The OS simply waits for touch coordinates and commands and then proceeds to act accordingly.
    Last edited by FineWolf; 08-10-10 at 04:42 PM.
    08-10-10 04:40 PM
    I am not burying it's chances yet.

As the above poster says, it is probably a little extra code in the sfi file.There is no way it is the preposterous 80+ meg folk are talking about.

Have Verizon stopped testing for good, or just waiting for more optimized code and then start re-testing.

I seem to remember the OS file size of the S2 was only about 16meg (REF 5.0.0713 for the 9520). I could be wrong though.

I don't know about you Americans, but in the UK a contract is 18-24 months for the S2. Who is fickle enough to spend hundreds on a new handset when they still have another 6-12 months on their contract?

2cents. (the end is nigh!)
    Last edited by kriptikchicken; 08-10-10 at 05:23 PM.
    08-10-10 05:19 PM
    I'm willing to bet the issue isn't memory. (Well, memory is an issue like it was for 5.0 and the 9500/9530)

I love how people are quick to say "the touchscreen takes way more memory"... It's an input device. It's not an application running in the background, it's not software... It's an input device.

Does your computer suddenly use more memory because you plug in a mouse (crappy proprietary drivers excluded, I'm talking about a regular mouse)? No, the OS simply waits for vectors/commands to process, and the acts accordingly.

Same with the touchscreen. The OS simply waits for touch coordinates and commands and then proceeds to act accordingly.
    i wasnt even gonna waste my time on explaining why the not enough memory for os 6 was just crap cuz if i remember correctly os 5 on the bold 9650 was 200+ mb which is waymore then os 5 on the storm2 and bold 9700 os size depends on the device that it is run on so u can compare the 9800 os size to the 9550 because they are not the same phone the storm 2 would use as 6 probably closer to the 9700 size + like 8 megs maybe not 80-100 its probably something else maybe the storm might get its own os or they just havent gotten open gl straight with os 6 which is why its taking longer who know but size really isnt an issue or none of the 256mb device would get it
    08-10-10 05:37 PM
    My bet is one of the brilliant (being sincere) hybrid makers can clean a lot of the crap out of a version of OS6, and get it to run just fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-10 07:32 PM
    it cant be a hybrid per say, you just need to take an OS 6 leak and take the bloat out. its 240 MBs give or take on the Torch so its going to take up most all room on a storm 2. it will be like OS 5 on a storm 1, starting out at 20-30 MBs from boot and nothing else installed
    08-10-10 07:44 PM
    How about just getting the webkit then?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-10 09:22 PM
    supposedly webkit is heavily tied into the OS, so you needs OS 6 for the webkit too
    08-10-10 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD