This one says "by September". I have high hopes for this thing, let's hope RIM doesn't blow it on this one...

http://blackberryrocks.com/2010/08/09/rim-blackpad-blackberry-tablet-manufactured-quanta-shipping-september-499/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-10 12:09 PM
    I don't like that you would only have 3G when connected (tethered?) to a BB handheld.

But then, the way I could see our fam using it, wifi may be just fine.....
    09-01-10 09:40 AM
    I don't like that you would only have 3G when connected (tethered?) to a BB handheld.
    That was my first reaction too, but then it occurred to me that by going this route they don't have to tie the release to a carrier (although they can), they don't have to spend the money to develop (and implement) both GSM and CDMA chips, etc. So they can keep the price more competative, and as you noted most people will just use on wifi anyways...business people on the go will presumably already have a BB, so it's a minor inconvenience at most.
    09-01-10 11:43 AM
    ya i dont want to be locked to a carrier either enough with these monthly plans
    09-01-10 11:51 AM
    That was my first reaction too, but then it occurred to me that by going this route they don't have to tie the release to a carrier (although they can), they don't have to spend the money to develop (and implement) both GSM and CDMA chips, etc. So they can keep the price more competative, and as you noted most people will just use on wifi anyways...business people on the go will presumably already have a BB, so it's a minor inconvenience at most.
    +1
    Maybe they actually learned something from the torch- exclusivity fiasco. Releasing this as an option for all carriers / supported devices would widen the appeal. Now if only we could get some confirmation that the technical specs and what it can do are up to par. The last thing we need is a 9.7 inch screen to play brick breaker and word mole on.

09-01-10 01:32 PM
    They're still calling it the BlackPad???

I still think Cobalt or another element like Zinc would be a better name. BlackPad is too much of a rip-off of iPad for my tastes.
    09-01-10 04:36 PM
    Maybe the reason they focus on tethering to an existing blackberry is that you can only have 1 pin tied to 1 user in BES? I am not an IT person so I don't know if two blackberry phones can be sync'd to one user. If so then my logic is flawed.
    stanlai likes this.
    09-02-10 09:17 AM
    I like the idea of it using my BB's BIS connection. If it gives me BBM access on the tablet, and such, then it would be a nice way to work without having to always use the BB keyboard.
    09-02-10 09:27 AM

I still think Cobalt or another element like Zinc would be a better name. BlackPad is too much of a rip-off of iPad for my tastes.
    if you listen to the CB podcast and i know alot dont so i dont blame you for not i just starte liek 3 pdcasts ago but anyway Kevin said hes willing to take any bet from anyone that it will end up with the blackpad name and everyone else on the podcast agreed according to them theres no way its even possible that it would be called that
    09-02-10 05:03 PM

I don't care what they call it just call it "soon" cause I am tired of waiting for a tablet. Love the looks of the android tabs, but the only decent one so far is the Samsung and that looks to be tied into carriers and that is the last thing I want to do is sign a contract.
    09-04-10 09:26 AM

BlackTab sounds good to me, but I think they will come up with an entire different name for it.
    09-04-10 12:59 PM
    Maybe the reason they focus on tethering to an existing blackberry is that you can only have 1 pin tied to 1 user in BES? I am not an IT person so I don't know if two blackberry phones can be sync'd to one user. If so then my logic is flawed.
    I believe you are correct.....

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    09-05-10 06:14 PM
    +1
    I think you are correct!!!

*Hurry RIM, I need to convince someone to buy it for me!!!!*
    09-06-10 07:54 AM

I absolutely agree about the name. I'm actually feeling Cobalt. I was actually considering an iPad (I hate that name too lol) but considering all the talk of a "BlackPad" I'm willing to wait and see what happens. I would love a tablet, never thought I would.

09-12-10 04:27 PM
    If they use "pad" at all, I'd be jaw-dropping surprised. While BlackBerry Tablet isn't super catchy and doesn't exactly roll of the tongue, I think I'd prefer it to some attempt at a trendy name. Face it, Apple and put "i" in front of anything and you will know it's an Apple product. BlackBerry just doesn't have that consistency for a name. Any attempt to call it comething like BPad or BTab is just going to look like a cheap ripoff. Maybe they chould go for cheesy with something like The Big Berry. Of course, they really don't want people thinking it's just a large BlackBerry, especially if it's running the new QNX OS. I feel the name needs to reflect the purpose of the device. The BB Companion? I dunno. The Enhancer? Makes a general BB sound like it's not good enough. The Mother Board. There it is. The BlackBerry Mother Board. :P
    09-13-10 11:14 AM
    They better hurry up and it better be good. Samsung reportedly has made deals with AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon to bring a Galaxy tablet to each in the $200 to $400 range.
    09-13-10 02:02 PM
    the difference is you will have to go on a plan with at&t verizon or who ever.
    i would rather just link nit to my phone i got unlimited data i dont want to go on anymore plans these phone companies are evil and in canada there even worse!
    09-13-10 02:56 PM
    the difference is you will have to go on a plan with at&t verizon or who ever.
    i would rather just link nit to my phone i got unlimited data i dont want to go on anymore plans these phone companies are evil and in canada there even worse!
    Yeah but will you be able to tether it to any blackberry on any carrier? I know that Sprint killed my Bluetooth tethering on my Tour. Will this just work with OS 6 phones? Lot of questions left unanswered. I'm interested to see what they have, but the lack of leaks makes me worry its either vaporware, or not going to stack up well to compared to the competition, and they'll be last to game.
    09-13-10 07:26 PM
    I wondered the same thing. Will RIM subsidize tethering on the BlackBerry MotherBoard (BlackPad) as it's meant to be a companion? Or will it just cost most everyone extra $ each month? But I'm on TMO, so it's no issue.

09-13-10 08:31 PM
    pretty much nobody here in canada charges more for tethering, so I don't care.
    09-13-10 08:54 PM
    I think the reason for no leaks is because there not in partnership with any carriers its in house only easier to stop leaks and with no greedy carriers involved you will get more
    09-14-10 04:35 AM
    They better hurry up and it better be good. Samsung reportedly has made deals with AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon to bring a Galaxy tablet to each in the $200 to $400 range.
    I agree with you but the sad thing is RIM has proven it doesn't even look in the direction of the competition let alone really observe it to see what they are up against. They are still making products as though they are the only game in town.

09-14-10 11:49 AM
    It must be getting close to Blackpad release time. I have noticed a few Ebay auctions for Blackpad sales website addresses. I liked the Makemineablackpad.com the best...

MAKE MINE A BLACKPAD.COM domain name - BLACK PAD - eBay (item 260654526576 end time Sep-21-10 16:28:53 PDT)

Do people actually buy website addresses from Ebay sellers?
    09-14-10 08:17 PM
    It must be getting close to Blackpad release time. I have noticed a few Ebay auctions for Blackpad sales website addresses. I liked the Makemineablackpad.com the best...

MAKE MINE A BLACKPAD.COM domain name - BLACK PAD - eBay (item 260654526576 end time Sep-21-10 16:28:53 PDT)

Do people actually buy website addresses from Ebay sellers?

Great name. I noticed this person is selling a couple other names.
    blackpadnow.com blackpaduniverse.com lovemyblackpad.com

I've seen some web addresses sell for big money on Ebay, but have also seen someone asking for a million dollars for MichaelJacksonLives.com.
    09-15-10 02:53 PM
    Too bad there's a 99.99% chance that BlackPad won't be the name...
    09-15-10 04:44 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD