Hi everyone,

This is my first post so be gentle!.

I have connected my 9700 to my corporate network via the wireless network we have. When I browse the Internet how do I know if I am using my corporate network connection or my 3G?

The reason I ask is that our company Internet connection is locked down and access to specific sites are either blocked or only accessible at specific times. As an example Facebook can only be accessed between 12:00-14:00. However when I use my BB I can access that site outside of that time - which makes me think that though I am connected to the network I am not using it to access the Internet - albeit it does seem alot faster.

I hope that makes sense, any advice most welcome.

David
    08-09-10 08:49 AM
    If you're using wifi, the little wifi logo will be highlited and not grayed out. Also, the name of the network you're on will be at the top of the screen as well.
    08-09-10 09:23 AM
    rgorman,

Thanks for the information. I can now see the BB connected to my network, I still do not understand how it is able to get around the firewall rules and access sites that should be blocked.

*confused*

David
    Last edited by Fairyburst; 08-09-10 at 09:31 AM.
    08-09-10 09:29 AM
    Is there a way to tell what IP address has been assigned to my BB?
    Options > Status should give you that info

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-10 09:31 AM
    rgorman,

Thanks for the information. I can now see the BB connected to my network, I still do not understand how it is able to get around the firewall rules and access sites that should be blocked.

*confused*

David
    Are you sure you are connected to your company's network? Did you have to enter security information for the network into your BB. My guess is that your BB is connected to your company's WiFi, without being connected to the company network. This could allow you access to the internet and the firewall rules would not apply. It's basically a guest connection.
    08-09-10 10:05 AM
    they also could be restricting sites AT YOUR PC with a permission package setup through the network (what we have here). Your access to those sites could be blocked LOCALLY with that kind of setup, leaving your BB with the ability to bypass those restrictions. It could also be a BIS/BES thing. If it's a corporate issued BB, then they would likely be able to restrict that access. A personal BB using BIS would not be subject to those restrictions.
    08-09-10 12:17 PM
    If you aren't using Blackberry Enterprise Server through your work, then it doesn't matter how you connect to the internet, they wont be able to filter what you see. It's the same reason that Saudi Arabia and some other countries blocked blackberry service. The data leaves your phone encrypted and goes to Blackberry's servers that are located around the country. Your company doesn't have any way of telling what that data is and just passes it along. Prime example, I traveled to a Vietnam with my Blackberry. They are communists there and block many websites. When I connected to BIS through WiFi, everything came through just like I was in the US. I even went to a site that would use your IP to guess your location and it said I was in Idaho or somewhere. So congratulations, you can use your BB to go on Facebook all day.
    08-09-10 04:49 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for everyone's help. I found some additional information on another forum (O2 (UK) - 8120 - WiFi Questions.... - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community). This link explains how the BB uses the WiFi connection.

This could explain why it is able to get around the rules for internet access. I will call my provider today and see if they can shed any more light on this.

Cheers,

David
    08-10-10 02:44 AM
    Don't pry too much or you might not be able to get to those sites anymore, lol!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-10 02:58 AM
    LOL, BoldtotheMAx thats the point, I want to stop users from getting around the Firewall rules
    08-10-10 08:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD