About 2 weeks ago, Apple made a software update for iCal. The update basically eliminated local calendars ("On My Mac") from iCal, and instead replaced them with a new, consolidated MobileMe tab (no more "On My Mac," rather "[email protected]"). I guess they were trying to make it more simple and easy to manage for MobileMe users; however, they really screwed things up for BB users.

Before this update, my BB and my Macbook were flawlessly in sync (same with my MobileMe syncs between my computer, iPod Touch & iPad). I used to be able to create events from my BB and have them synced onto my Mac, as well as manage my calendars on my Mac and have them synced onto my BB.

Now, BB DM doesn't recognize this new MobileMe section of iCal and tells me "there are no Calendars available for syncing on this computer." So basically, I cannot manage events between my BB and Mac anymore because of this stupid iCal update.

Any ideas of how to fix this?
    Last edited by NickHuddleston; 08-09-10 at 04:28 AM.
    08-09-10 04:21 AM
    I noticed this when I tried the Mobile Me Calendar Beta. The Beta is awesome, but unfortunately does not allow for synchronization with the Blackberry Desktop Manager. I did revert back to the old MobileMe and it worked fine. I did however set my BB Desktop manager to copy over all my BB appointments for the first sync so it would not copy a bunch of duplicates.

It is unfortunate that BB does not want their software to work with newer platforms. I used to sync with my PC, but it stopped working when I switched to Office 2010.
    08-10-10 10:45 AM
    So, if I go back to the original MobileMe iCal things should be okay?

And can either of you help me with how it works to have iCal on my iMac, MobileMe, and BB can update automatically?
    09-05-10 05:41 PM
    @mfilla-
    You need to set your MobileMe account up through your iCal. (iCal > Preferences > General > and click on the "MobileMe" link in the bottom righthand corner). Doing this will authorize the auto-syncing of your calendars to your MobileMe account whether it's on Me.com or on your iPod, iPad, iPhone or whatever.
    In terms of syncing MobileMe and your BB, there's no such thing. I wish they worked together but they don't.

How can i revert to the original MobileMe iCal? Where's the link?
    09-16-10 10:25 AM
    Has anyone perhaps found the solution between syncing MobileMe, iCal and Blackberry Desktop 2/BB OS6 yet???
    I have iCal, MobileMe, Blackberry Mac Desktop 2.0 and a BB Torch on OS 6.0.337

The Bb Desktop manager gives the message "There are no writeable calendars available for syncing"

Thanks all
    01-14-11 09:57 PM
    I would like to know if and when there is a fix for this.
    02-23-11 06:33 PM
    any word on this fix
    03-16-11 10:47 AM
    I too held off the upgrade initially, but given that it becomes compulsory next month have now done it....and can no longer sync my BB calendar with my imac.

I don't have a fix, but have used the following work around.

- backup BB and iCal to be safe
    - Create new calendar "On My Mac" in iCal
    - Export data from MobileMe calendar in ical to a holding folder
    - Import data from MobileMe calendar holding folder to new calendar on the mac
    - sync the BB with the new calendar

This does restore the ability to sync the BB with iCal, but obviously the calendar won't now sync with MobileMe so across multiple Macs/iPods/iPhone etc

I have looked at ways of then exporting from the new calendar on the mac to the MobileMe calendar to once again facilitate syncing, but without success. Has anyone else found a way?

This is a really irritating outcome of the upgrade that has taken something that worked perfectly to something that doesn't work at all with very little gain. Hopefully it will be officially sorted in another upgrade.
    04-05-11 10:26 AM
    I upgraded to the new MobileMe calendar after multiple warnings that the old one was phasing out soon. Similar to the OP, I used MobileMe to sync the BB with one computer, and kept that computer synced with two others using MobileMe. This proved a lot more reliable than trying to keep the BB in sync with multiple computers.

I am glad I did one last sync and archived my locally stored iCal calendar before the upgrade, because I found what everyone else here has--the calendars now live on the cloud in a read-only state (at least as far as BDS is concerned), and the BB won't sync with them through the desktop software.

I imported the archive back as "On My Mac" calendars, but now I can only sync with that one computer. If I want to keep the other computers in sync with my "On My Mac" calendars, it looks like I will have to export them, reimport them to MobileMe calendars, etc., etc., and that is just bollocks.

It should be perfectly possible for these on-the-cloud MobileMe calendars to be writable through a BDS sync. Indeed, we already have that functionality with notes and memos. If I create a memo on the BB and set up the sync so that it goes to Notes in Mail, it will go in a locally stored folder by default. BUT, I can open up Mail and move that item to the MobileMe folder on the cloud. Subsequent modifications to the memo on my BB are written directly to the on-the-cloud note, and these changes show up when I open Mail on other computers and view the synchronized results there. This should be possible for iCal events and Tasks. And don't forget that Apple will probably be doing the on-the-cloud thing with the Address Book next!

I splurge the $100+ a year on MobileMe just for this functionality. Losing it through an upgrade does not amuse me!
    04-27-11 05:27 AM
    Events / Contacts = Gmail; Tasks = Toodledo (PocketInformant and Appigo Sync Mac). On the iPhone there is not only PocketInformant but a slew of others that work with Toodledo. Last time I checked, there is at least one other app for the BlackBerry besides PocketInformant for handling tasks. Toodledo is the only solution I have found that is reliable to link Macs with the iPhone and the BlackBerry.
    08-03-11 10:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD