Here I am sitting at dinner with my friend and we were discussing marischino cherries, I know so what, well none of us really knew what they were really made of so I thought get out the ol' Storm and google it. I will impress everyone there with my smart phone prowess.

My friend gets out his iphone also....

While I am waiting and then trying to type in the search words my friend simply speaks the words into his phone and bingo, he has everything you want to know about marischino cherries.

Meanwhile my Storm is still requesting data. I just put it in my pocket, I don't even know if it ever got the information or not.

What is with this phone? I can't log in to the business websites I need because OS5 doesn't support AJAX and I can get push email free with gmail.

I think I am going to take all four of my VZW accounts and go to ATT where they have phones that aren't crippled by the carrier and are up to date with the technology required for business use.

Sorry for the rant but VZW and Blackberry is a let down after all these years.
    08-08-10 10:10 PM
    the storm is in no way crippled by vzw. no more so than any other provider, wait i take that back, ATTs service in general cripples all their phones
    Last edited by howarmat; 08-08-10 at 10:43 PM.
    08-08-10 10:16 PM
    If you want a phone that will put the iPhone to shame, look at the Droids! A friend of mine dumped his iPhone, and couldn't be happier with his Incredible.
    08-08-10 10:40 PM
    I second what Medic is saying...although I have been using my 9530 for 2 years now, I would truly consider picking up a Droid phone in the near future.
    08-08-10 11:04 PM
    I can "speak" into my Storm and it searches on google pretty quickly. App can be found here: m.google.com/search
    08-08-10 11:14 PM
    User Error... replace user and press any key to continue.
    08-08-10 11:27 PM
    Thanks for your reply Civic. I fully appreciate the problem with "operator headspace malfunction".

However, how does this apply to my problem with a truly slow browser?
    VZW touts 'the network' yet the iphone managed to outshine the Storm in connectivity and speed. I am not an apple guy, I don't have an apple computer and I really don't want an iphone.
    I just want my Blackberry to do simple business type of applications and not be a hinderance to business.
    Push me an email and let me act on it.
    The old OS from VZW/RIM allowed links in text messages and emails to be highlighted and accessed simply by touching the screen. Now with the new OS (authorized version) that function is crippled and the solution from RIM is to use the old OS.
    Browsers are limited and AJAX is not a function usable ever in the OS 5 nor will it be available on any Storm 1 or 2.

I just want VZW and Rim to get on with the business aspect of these phones.
    Last edited by BBrian; 08-10-10 at 04:51 PM.
    08-10-10 12:37 PM
    If you think Vzw's network is crippling your phone and that defecting to ATT will be an improvement, prepare to be disappointed even further. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-10 12:59 PM
    why dont just get opera mini? Tons faster browser than the native one...and I beat a droid on my S1 at the beach last weekend....granted it must have been their signal/service but what the H...
    08-10-10 01:00 PM
    I have a storm 1 I went from vzw to att honestly my internet is way faster now don't know why but before w vzw it requested for ever.Now the only thing is voice for att is kinda crappy but....I don't talk a lot mainly txt and data so I'm happy.Although I'm not sure if to get a torch or something else

08-10-10 01:51 PM
    Thanks for your reply Civic. I fully appreciate the problem with "operator headspace malfunction".

However, how does this apply to my problem with a truly slow browser?
    VZW touts 'the network' yet the iphone managed to outshine the Storm in connectivity and speed. I am not an apple guy, I don't have an apple computer and I really don't want an iphone.
    I just want my Blackberry to do simple business type of applications and not be a hinderance to business.
    Push me an email and let me act on it.
    The old OS from VZW/RIM allowed links in text messages and emails to be highlighted and accessed simply by touching the screen. Now with the new OS (authorized version) that function is crippled and the solution from RIM is to use the old OS.
    Browsers are limited and AJAX is not a function usable ever in the OS 5 nor will it be available on any Storm 1 or 2.

I just want VZW and Rim to get on with the business aspect of these phones.
    lol, I'm glad I could help. My post should have gone hand in hand with the below post from the other user. Had you had the Google Search app installed on your BB, your process for the search would have been the same as your iPhone owning buddy.

I can "speak" into my Storm and it searches on google pretty quickly. App can be found here: m.google.com/search
    08-10-10 10:16 PM
    Good one 911medic lol. Yeah with the tiny 2GB of data too. I blow through that easily every month. BBrian glad things are working.
    08-10-10 10:31 PM
    A nice alternative would be Vlingo

Also, don't blame the network. The 9530's web browser cannot even compare to iPhone browsers, which are webkit based. The 9530 could be on an LTE/4G network, and the pages still wouldn't load as fast as you'd expect because the web page rendering methods on the Storm 9530 is garbage.

Webkit-powered browsers can be found in the Torch 9800 (running OS6) and presumably every higher end BB from here on out. And rumor mill has it that the Bold 9650 will be getting OS6, which will also have webkit browsing.

Long story short, it's the browser technology of the device, not the carriers, that is the problem.
    08-11-10 02:08 AM
    why dont just get opera mini? Tons faster browser than the native one...and I beat a droid on my S1 at the beach last weekend....granted it must have been their signal/service but what the H...
    Got opera mini, it only works in portrait mode and is too small to see for me. It also did not work with the particular website I need to log in to.

A nice alternative would be Vlingo

Also, don't blame the network. The 9530's web browser cannot even compare to iPhone browsers, which are webkit based. The 9530 could be on an LTE/4G network, and the pages still wouldn't load as fast as you'd expect because the web page rendering methods on the Storm 9530 is garbage.

Webkit-powered browsers can be found in the Torch 9800 (running OS6) and presumably every higher end BB from here on out. And rumor mill has it that the Bold 9650 will be getting OS6, which will also have webkit browsing.

Long story short, it's the browser technology of the device, not the carriers, that is the problem.
    Too bad the best BB phones with the best browser are not available on the best network.
    08-11-10 09:20 AM
    Got opera mini, it only works in portrait mode and is too small to see for me. It also did not work with the particular website I need to log in to.
    Options> Applications> Highlight Opera Mini> Hit menu button, and select "disable compatibility mode"

Too bad the best BB phones with the best browser are not available on the best network.
    The 9650 is a phone that will get OS 6, and all the fast browser goodness. Would also maybe help if you had a phone that wasn't almost 2 years old.
    08-11-10 10:04 AM

OperaMini in portrait only??? I cant even get it to lock in portrait at all..... sounds strange...
    08-11-10 10:42 AM
    Yes, portrait only. I did set the options-"disable compatibility mode" and it still is portrait only.
    I also cannot get the opera application to respond to any of the menu or return buttons. Once I open the app I can only change application. There is no "close" option for opera mini. I am going to remove it.
    08-11-10 09:29 PM
    You must have the wrong version of opera.

08-11-10 09:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD